As a good TI programmer, after messing around with BASIC, I now started to learn asm. A on-computer calc emulator would help me a lot but all of them require the calc's ROM in order to run. I've searched for a ROM extractor, but I didn't find one that uses the Silverlink cable (and it's the only one I've got...).
Can you help me please?
AFAIK all you need to do is download TI-CONNECT, back up the calculator's memory to the disc and rename the file extension. I don't exactly remember how I did it, but I did it with TI-CONNECT.
I find that ROM8x works perfectly well:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/373/37341.html
Aeromax wrote:
AFAIK all you need to do is download TI-CONNECT, back up the calculator's memory to the disc and rename the file extension. I don't exactly remember how I did it, but I did it with TI-CONNECT.

No, that won't at all do what he wants. TI-Connect backs up the OS (maybe not, even) and all your variables/apps/what-have-you. You need a copy of the boot code and an OS image for a ROM dump.

Rom8x is a good choice.
I doubt it even backs up the OS, just the user Flash pages and RAM. Someone should ask Brandon about that; I'm curious about what exactly it backs up now.
The Tari wrote:
Aeromax wrote:

No, that won't at all do what he wants. TI-Connect backs up the OS (maybe not, even) and all your variables/apps/what-have-you. You need a copy of the boot code and an OS image for a ROM dump.

Rom8x is a good choice.

Ah, I totally forgot about using rom8x.

Disregard, corks, etc.
Well technically according to BrandonW TI-connect retrieves just about everything each time you want one file. plus it overwrites the swap sectors a million times just for simple files even on calcs that have the extra ram pages so they don't even need to use the swap sector... He'll most likely rant about it more it he finds this post and some of my info may be a little off but that's the gist of it.
Let's just leave it at 'TI-Connect is made of fail'.
The Tari wrote:
Let's just leave it at 'TI-Connect is made of fail'.
That sounds pretty accurate to me. Periph8x for the win!
Thanks a lot! Good Idea
ZagorNBK wrote:
Thanks a lot! Good Idea
I presume it worked for you?
Yes, thanks again!
And now, what emulator would you recommend me?
I tried VTI 2 and 3 but they both have problems:
-the VTI 2's calc doesn't want to turn on
-the VTI 3's calc doesn't accept programs (only apps)

Do you have any solutions or do you recommend me another emulator?
Definitely either WabbitEmu or PindurTI.

Links in a sec
TheStorm wrote:
Well technically according to BrandonW TI-connect retrieves just about everything each time you want one file. plus it overwrites the swap sectors a million times just for simple files even on calcs that have the extra ram pages so they don't even need to use the swap sector... He'll most likely rant about it more it he finds this post and some of my info may be a little off but that's the gist of it.

I found it. Smile And that's exactly right.

Yes, TI Connect is garbage.

rom8x doesn't really dump the ROM, it dumps your boot code and combines that with an 8XU downloadable from education.ti.com, which puts you out of luck if you want a ROM dump of an older OS (like 1.12), unless you happen to have that 8XU, which you'd have to ask TI for or *cough* acquire it through other means.

There is NO reason why we can't have a direct USB ROM dumper for TiLP, and in fact I wrote the calculator side, it's just that no one will recompile TiLP to add that support to the 84+/SE series and test it (for all I know, it still has bugs, but a couple of bugs is better than having no code at all to go on). I think I uploaded it somewhere.

EDIT: And it's occurred to me that this thread is about the SilverLink cable and not direct USB. Any SilverLink setbacks is just laziness.

And as far as I know, TI Connect would back up only variables in RAM and Flash, and nothing else. They've moved away from old-style backup files, because every time they've done that, we've exploited it.
Hmm, someone should prod the TiLP team then; not only would ROM dumping support be good for us, it would be good for them, and give people more reasons to use TiLP. :/
I tried TiLP but I didn't manage to make it work though. (I tried on both Windows XP and Vista).

Do I have to reboot after installing it? (I was to lazy to do that before)
KermMartian wrote:
Hmm, someone should prod the TiLP team then; not only would ROM dumping support be good for us, it would be good for them, and give people more reasons to use TiLP. :/

Yeah, I've already done that, and they don't care. Or they're too busy or something.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours