Agreed.

I'll be happy to help as much as I can. I know a little C++ here and there and I'm actually thinking about buying a book on Torque development if I browse Barnes & Noble and find a good one. I love buying books on programming so you can't stop me! Razz

Although learning C++ or how the Torque engine works from a book may help me out, I'll definitely need to have my hands in the source at least a little bit because I'm hoping I can pitch in a fair portion of the non-engine related source (gameplay, etc...). Hopefully I'll be a help and not a pain 0x5
meh, I need to learn C eventually so I this may be a good place to start though I planing on going straight into c# learning c and then going into C++ wouldn't hurt either, hopefully I can be some what of a help to you guys.
p.s. I'll also tyr to stay out of the politics going on here...
Quote:
p.s. I'll also tyr to stay out of the politics going on here...
Hehe, yeah, I've definitely isolated myself from that situation and tried to ignore it. I personally don't want to get into it and would rather not discuss it. Drives me crazy XD

But yeah, I'd love to see if we can't get something of a group going so we can develop this further Razz

EDIT:
I've been getting some donations on my server and I should be able purchase a Torque license Razz

As well as possibly an Unreal Engine license O_O
*wonders what his limits are in THAT engine* Very Happy
elfprince13 wrote:
Luquado wrote:
He may have, uh, borrowed code from someplace

who hasn't in the process of teaching themself a new subject (and for that matter a new language, since despite C++ not being my forte I was the only one who volunteered to work on the engine)? TBG wasn't going to be a commercial product, I had no need to worry about it because I was only halfway or so done replacing it with my own code.
You should have been open about it, then, if it's not such a big deal. That's all I'm saying, and all anyone wanted - more communication and more openness, and a willingness to commit code to SVN.

Listen (read): I manage developers now; I understand not wanting people to see your yucky code while it's in-progress, if that's why you didn't want to commit. Any project, though, where developers hoard their code or are intellectually dishonest about its origins is in trouble. You're a bright guy and you have a very bright future ahead of you. Precisely because TBG was a free project, you wouldn't have been judged or gotten put up in front of the Crabby Luquado Firing Squad had you been straightforward from the start.

If you get busy, then you get busy, things happen - tell your teammates (Lord knows that happened with me and TBM2.) If you're borrowing and adapting code, tell your teammates. If you're not sure what you're doing is going to help, tell your teammates you're just trying stuff out - don't paint it as THE solution to a problem if you're unsure, because what happened was gobbles then abandoned some other work he was doing because he was hopeful that the solution was coming, and in the end he was just disgusted and disappointed.

Summary: Rather than say your stuff got deleted at random, and that you can do it "this weekend probably" and then let it go for 2-3+ weeks after that with no results, just be upfront and say "Look, I'm trying to adapt code from another project, I'm not sure if it's going to work, and I'm kind of busy so I won't know for a couple weeks." Finito la musica, passato la festa.

Quote:
This would have been fantastic information to have a year ago
ShadowZ and I, and when you were in IRC you saw some of this, had discussed the beginnings of my idea but we didn't have anything conclusive. It wasn't until everything with you went down that I really poked deeply and tried my theories out. Perhaps I could have been more involved like I am at work. Live and learn.

Again: I don't think you necessarily an idiot, or a malicious person, and in fact your desire to not disappoint is admirable. But it's OK to let people down sometimes if you're being truthful. It's worse to get hopes up and then dash them than it is to underpromise and overdeliver. It's even worse when you are not entirely truthful in the process.

OK? OK.
swivelgames wrote:

I'll be happy to help as much as I can. I know a little C++ here and there and I'm actually thinking about buying a book on Torque development if I browse Barnes & Noble and find a good one. I love buying books on programming so you can't stop me! Razz

Although learning C++ or how the Torque engine works from a book may help me out, I'll definitely need to have my hands in the source at least a little bit because I'm hoping I can pitch in a fair portion of the non-engine related source (gameplay, etc...). Hopefully I'll be a help and not a pain 0x5

One book that i like a lot on Torque scripting is 3D Game Programming ALL IN One by Kenneth C. Finney and it is published by Thomson Course Technology.
Sounds great, I'll definitely look for it ^^,

Thanks for the suggestion Very Happy

Has anyone started on anything for this yet?
Kier has been a hero, and gotten us the missing source files.

calc84maniac: I'm still waiting for the source to your iGob mod.

Swivel, lets talk engine tonight. also I'd REALLY prefer to stay away from Unreal due to the much higher system requirements, the effort of completely rewriting our current features in UnrealScript, as well as the whole lack of mac-i-ness

Quote:
Rather than say your stuff got deleted at random

that actually did happen Wink
I'm still in for helping to write the sequential notification code if needed.
thanks Kerm Smile

also, I think we're going to need to ditch "TBG" in favor of the title we came up with before and didn't share with people, TBG can continue to be our working name, but lets try and talk tonight, who could get in on an AIM/IRC conference?
elfprince13 wrote:
thanks Kerm Smile

also, I think we're going to need to ditch "TBG" in favor of the title we came up with before and didn't share with people, TBG can continue to be our working name, but lets try and talk tonight, who could get in on an AIM/IRC conference?
Jump on #cemetech and we can split it off from there. I recommend that we consider Skype as a medium for the discussion.
KermMartian wrote:
Jump on #cemetech and we can split it off from there. I recommend that we consider Skype as a medium for the discussion.

good call, we haven't done that in a while.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

good call, we haven't done that in a while.
Indeed, although TheStorm, magicdanw, Proegssilb, and I chatted two nights ago briefly.
preliminary TBG checklist

Stage 1: script only

• finish merging TBM2U1, TBG, Cemetech AI 4 (the finished version), and Calc84's mods. auto-update scheme. un-bloat skins and data directories. remove unused files. cleanup maps + scripting to use the TBG directory structures. attempt to identify + fix broken bricks.
  • integrate DynLoad (out of curiosity, who of you have seen this yet? I may have only showed Gobbles...) into the main codebase, and integrate with the spawn menu. get a good set of maps and weapons to be included in the base. this will be conducted through voting.

Stage 2: engine improvements, ditch Blockland 0002

• builds for Windows, OS X and Linux
  • engine crash fixes (see the patch resources on the GG website)
  • engine performance enhancements. official unveiling, first full release

Stage 3: new engine features

• new engine features: improve camera, AI Player, vehicles, and turrets
  • update our scripts to take advantage of these features, second full release.

Stage 4: speculative features

• LDraw support for bricks and binding iGobs together into a single shape. these are grouped together because I'm guessing both will require reasonably intelligent hidden surface removal to achieve acceptable performance.

lets make a point to have a test release after each of these stages is complete.
Sounds like a plan to me. I might even have the incentive to finish up some stuff I never got a chance for, like working trains etc.
KermMartian wrote:
Sounds like a plan to me. I might even have the incentive to finish up some stuff I never got a chance for, like working trains etc.

did you ever figure out a way to chain vehicles together? or will that require engine modding?
I can't remember, about what were the system requirements for blockland? I have My new comp but I was kinda wondering if my old 734Mhz Celeron could run it.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

did you ever figure out a way to chain vehicles together? or will that require engine modding?
I did it, but it was a really ugly hack. It would be better to incorporate straight into the engine.
TheStorm wrote:
I can't remember, about what were the system requirements for blockland? I have My new comp but I was kinda wondering if my old 734Mhz Celeron could run it.

I've run it on 730MHz + 512MB of RAM and on 933MHz with 256MB of RAM

neither with a real graphics card
elfprince13 wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

I've run it on 730MHz + 512MB of RAM and on 933MHz with 256MB of RAM

neither with a real graphics card

woot its 734mhz with 256 ram but from the sounds of it it'll be fine but that's what I wanted to hear. I could probably run it twice on my 3Ghz core 2 duo + 4 Gb of ram.
Edit: I forgot to mention my ATI HD4850 Razz but enough bragging I just built it this summer, I haven't even paid for the whole thing yet.
I haz GeForce 7900GT, 3.5GB RAM, 2.2GHz Processor 0x5

EDIT: Okay, I phailz when it comes to TheStorm >.>

Anywho, enough bragging, lol.

But seriously, I'm up for the meeting tonight. I have Skype open and I'd love to discuss tonight!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours