Apparently some of the folks at the Oklahoma Legislature want the Federal Government to get off their back and mind the 10th Amendment, which of course states what powers the Feds do and do not have. Several months ago, they decided to pass a resolution...
Quote:
...claiming sovereignty under the
Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United
States over certain powers; serving notice to the
federal government to cease and desist certain
mandates; and directing distribution.

At first, after reading the bill, you might think it's a big hoax or at least something comical, but, really, it's kind of sad how they have to resort to something like this. Obviously the dispute between the local folks and the boys (and girls, mind you) in Washington is only growing more heatedly. I think that something needs to be done on the national level to make hard lines on what is who's jurisdiction in order to prevent a large-scale power struggle. While there are many things that I believe should be left to Washington (such as defense and conservation), there are many other things that the states and localities should control (such as fire protection and business regulation).

Anyone else care to voice their opinion on what they make of this and where it's all headed (read the links first, though)? (No flames, please)

LINKS:
The declaration
The vote
The Digg
Sure, it's a respectable goal, yes, they have the constitution on their side. Does it have any chance of getting passed? I seriously doubt it. Discuss.
KermMartian wrote:
Sure, it's a respectable goal, yes, they have the constitution on their side. Does it have any chance of getting passed? I seriously doubt it. Discuss.
Actually, Kerm, this "declaration" has already been passed through the State House of Representatives with flying colors. I'm not sure about the Senate, though.

http://www.okhouse.gov/51LEG/Leg_Votesxx.aspx?include=okh01983.txt

Basically, it's a statement telling Washington to leave them alone and not trespass on their rights as a member of the Union. You can use it as a simple analogy: you're an individual and own this little farm with a house on it. Should ANY government take your land that you rightfully own or perhaps forcefully make you give them all of your crops with a low rate of compensation? Should they have the right to control the going-on's inside your home, or your Internet activity? I say no. That's kind of what I think they're feeling as a state government.
wat r u guys talkin bout?
Spelling. I'll give you a brief outline.

I. Capital letters
II. Silent h's
III. Words with more than one letter
IV. The 'ing' ending
V. The letter 'A'

EDIT:
Oh, and reading the first post will tell you 'wat there talkin bout.' Rolling Eyes
jfabi82 wrote:
I think that something needs to be done on the national level to make hard lines on what is who's jurisdiction in order to prevent a large-scale power struggle.

This entire nation is set up to be a large scale power struggle, that is the entire point. Continued power struggle == good.
Kllrnohj wrote:
jfabi82 wrote:
I think that something needs to be done on the national level to make hard lines on what is who's jurisdiction in order to prevent a large-scale power struggle.

This entire nation is set up to be a large scale power struggle, that is the entire point. Continued power struggle == good.

All I have to add to this is, exactly. Razz
Mexi1010 wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
jfabi82 wrote:
All I have to add to this is, exactly. Razz
You guys are no fun... Razz

But you're saying that a continued power struggle is good, right? I see your point, I honestly do. There's always been one off and on through the past 232 years (and then some), yes, but take a look at our nation right now, and do you like what you see? Maybe it's time to come up with something different...
jfabi82 wrote:
But you're saying that a continued power struggle is good, right? I see your point, I honestly do. There's always been one off and on through the past 232 years (and then some), yes, but take a look at our nation right now, and do you like what you see? Maybe it's time to come up with something different...

Actually, I DO like what I see, for the most part. I have my fair share of complaints, but they have nothing to do with the distribution of power in the government...
Arbiter343 wrote:
wat r u guys talkin bout?
*What *are *you guys *talking *about?

Congrats, you got one word out of six correct. We're talking about Oklahoma passing a bill to make more explicit the separation of state and federal governments and powers.
Too bad a state has about zero influence over the federal government that way. Smile
In case you don't recall, but the original balance between state and federal power was basically a failed idea and our federalist system has a much more powerful federal government in the aftermath of the civil war.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours