Puzzle
 50%  [ 7 ]
Math
 0%  [ 0 ]
RPG
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

foamy3 wrote:
Um, in the past contests I don't think we were allowed to use other people's routines...

Just saying..
Yeah, that's my memory too. I think it makes more sense if we go original code-only.
Well then I'm out Sad there is no way I have the skills or the time to write a tile mapper in four weeks. And there is no way I'll be able to do it in basic.
Don't let that drag you down. If you really think there's no way you can write it yourself, just try something you can do. The more you program, the better you'll get at it.
foamy3 wrote:
Don't let that drag you down. If you really think there's no way you can write it yourself, just try something you can do. The more you program, the better you'll get at it.
I strongly second that. And a tile mapper is really not that bad at all, it's just reading a matrix, string, or list, then doing some fun graphics translation in essence...
KermMartian wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
I strongly second that. And a tile mapper is really not that bad at all, it's just reading a matrix, string, or list, then doing some fun graphics translation in essence...

Well I'll look into it I can use ION right or must it be no-stub? If I can get the tile mapper working I'll do it but we'll see.
It's been my impression that it has to be purely BASIC of your own creation, without assistance from any shells or libraries.

Don't get discouraged about the tile mapper. You say that you have found other routines for it. Well, figure out how those work. Dissect each of them piece by piece to get an understanding of how it works and what it would take to create one. Then create yours based on this newfound knowledge
Sage Orator wrote:
It's been my impression that it has to be purely BASIC of your own creation, without assistance from any shells or libraries.

Don't get discouraged about the tile mapper. You say that you have found other routines for it. Well, figure out how those work. Dissect each of them piece by piece to get an understanding of how it works and what it would take to create one. Then create yours based on this newfound knowledge
Good point. I see that you're taking that advice to heart by the Cemetech search logs. Wink
I do generally practice what I preach.

I mean I've done tile mappers before but it's been awhile and I'm trying to relearn how to do everything. You can always learn new things and improve on others.

Anyway, I'm working on ~7 tile mappers myself to see which one will work the best.

When exactly are we thinking for the deadline for this? Are we thinking July 12-13 or July 19-20?
KermMartian wrote:
I see that you're taking that advice to heart by the Cemetech search logs. Wink

Hey, didn't I see your picture in the dictionary next to 'Creeper?' Wink

And about the deadline: If we push it back too far people will get bored. July 12th seems okay, though. I wouldn't want too much later...
One month? Hmmm, that probably cancels out a lot of opportunities for the programs (unless someone spends every one of their 30 days programming for at least 5 hours), but I guess its fair. Too bad I cannot join because of many reasons (lack of motivation to program, moving overseas on June 30th, freakish calculator behavior). Sad
Delnar: But on the other hand, if we put it too far into the future, people will forget about the contest and not get their entries completed anyway.
I know, I know: I was just wondering how someone could make a good RPG within a month. A decent puzzle game, arcade game, or platformer could be made within a month, but a good RPG would take at least two months to make, simply because RPG's are like that. As for a decent math program, I highly doubt a decent one would take more than three weeks to complete.

PS. Does a raycasting maze count as a puzzle game? I know I cannot publish mine since it has been in development for a long time, has no real "game" aspect to it (yet), and heavily relies on xLib, but I am still curious just in case one of the undecided contestants decides to make a raycasting maze.
It's a tiny bit of a stretch, but as long as it's just a maze without adversaries, that would indeed count as a puzzle in my book.
I guess I'll enter in ASM (I'll try to actually finish my entry this time Wink). I need a link cable, and a Cemetech T-Shirt would be nice as well. Very Happy
Excellent, so that makes the list as follows. We still need to resolve the deadline issue though...

BASIC:
:: jfabi82
:: RyanSimbalist
:: Zaphod Beeblebrox
:: KeithJohansen
:: foamy3
:: Sage Orator
:: TheStorm (?)

ASM:
:: TheStorm (?)
:: magicdanw (?)
:: Calc84maniac
well the game I've been thinking about doing is more along the lines of Slippy or Doughnut quest with enemines and power ups, does that count for a puzzle game?
TheStorm wrote:
well the game I've been thinking about doing is more along the lines of Slippy or Doughnut quest with enemines and power ups, does that count for a puzzle game?
I'd still count that as a puzzle. Make sure you're not copying either of those games though. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
I'd still count that as a puzzle. Make sure you're not copying either of those games though. Smile

Technicly I'm copying an old dos/windows game so the only people who can complain are Microsoft and who cares about them, and since it won't be an exact port it won't matter anyway.
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

Technicly I'm copying an old dos/windows game so the only people who can complain are Microsoft and who cares about them, and since it won't be an exact port it won't matter anyway.

I think he meant not to copy them because you'll lose originality points.
foamy3 wrote:
I think he meant not to copy them because you'll lose originality points.
That primarily, and in addition, you tend to do better work with a more original concept because you have the freedom to do whatever you want rather than having to follow someone else's design.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours