Teaser photo, progress on the Bluetooth Dataglove (Clove 2) at last. Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Add force-grip capabilities plzkthx
Kind of ugly, but I'll ignore that because it's so awesome.
The Tari wrote:
Kind of ugly, but I'll ignore that because it's so awesome.
Which part, the glove itself, the wireless module, or both? Smile I agree that the glove isn't exactly high fashion, but it's uniquely suited to the project by being a tight fit, flexible, and quite durable.
so, when should we expect a step-by-step guide on building this. I so want one.
rivereye wrote:
so, when should we expect a step-by-step guide on building this. I so want one.
Well, I need to test it for a while, then do pix and a vid and the writeup. My to-do list for tomorrow:

1) Solve flaky column F (thumb knuckle contact)
2) Make a wrist strap for the wireless interface box
3) Finish translation software
4) Start to learn to type with it
5) ???
6) WATCH DR WHO REPEATEDLY
rofl @ 6

And you know... could you give a slight refresher as to the purpose of the dataglove?
tifreak8x wrote:
rofl @ 6

And you know... could you give a slight refresher as to the purpose of the dataglove?
The dataglove is a (now) wireless method of typing with a single hand y touching different areas of fingers together to form combinations. There are 31 possible keystrokes, comprising 26 characters, space, Mode, Ctrl, Alt, and Shift. There are three total modes, Alpha, Num/Nav, and Sym, allowing every key that is typed on a regular keyboard to be typed with the glove. In its present design, a special software interpreter is necessary to translate glove input to correctly-formatted keystrokes, but in the future it might be possible to embed the translation layer in a PIC microcontroller.
Awesome!
If you manage to sell it, you'll get a huge amount of money Cool ! (And world fame...)
By the way... is it going to be compatible with a TI-83 Plus calc? That would be cool! Smile
ZagorNBK wrote:
Awesome!
If you manage to sell it, you'll get a huge amount of money Cool ! (And world fame...)
By the way... is it going to be compatible with a TI-83 Plus calc? That would be cool! Smile
It currently requires a bluetooth stack, so if someone makes a stack for the TI-84 over USB, then we'd be all set. Smile No, I'm not planning on selling it at this point, I'm planning on documenting and publishing it as I do with the vast majority of my EE projects to date.

Edit: Full preliminary functionality verified, a few small kinks. I'm learning the keystroke set.
*bump* Working on final documentation set before release. Eyecandy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYXVf_6nsGQ
Sweet... you should seriously consider making a market out of this. This would be very useful in many realms including disabled people who only have use of one arm, although it does require a fair bit of dexterity.
Oh, and you might've already answered this, but how much does it weigh?
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sweet... you should seriously consider making a market out of this. This would be very useful in many realms including disabled people who only have use of one arm, although it does require a fair bit of dexterity.
The wrist module isn't more than 4 or 5 ounces, and I the glove has negligible weight.
KermMartian wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
The wrist module isn't more than 4 or 5 ounces, and I the glove has negligible weight.

"and I the glove has negligible weight"?

This grammar-Nazi thing is fun. Smile
this just keeps getting better and better I think. Now, just to get all the plans put together, so of course, it can be built for others to use.
I just tested myself on my regular keyboard with one hand; 43 wpm. Actually once I did see a VERY cool keyboard mapping mod for one handed typing, based on mirroring the keyboard over, I'll have to dig it up somewhere...
Right/Left-handed Dvorak ftw.
Nice work Kerm, you need to add a new post for this though. This looks pretty cool I might have to build one for myself lol. I there are a few things I might change though, also is it set up to have a shift lock so you don't have to have two buttons pressed to shift? oh and another Idea might be to have the on set of the sensors embedded into a peace of cloth that you can set on any surface so you could have like a portable one handed keyboard using the glove cloth combination. Hmm that would be a cool setup kinda like the lazer keyboard on think geek but this would be cheaper and I think more cool, and because your making it your self you could have the keys be as close or far as you want them to be. I might just do that, maybe have two gloves instead of one though, and have them connected somehow with two pads , and they could connect to the glove through contact.
Shift is either sticky, as in shift, then a letter is the capital letter, or you can lock shift mode with a double-shift. Alt is sticky only (alt, letter is alt-letter, but alt, alt turns off alt), and ctrl operates the same way.
You know, I just realized that this would be excellent for gaming on the computer. It would make it possible to do all sorts of things while also using a mouse.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours