Some of you have seen the screenshots floating around on IRC. Now, it's official! Check out the project forum here.
For those too lazy to click through, a synopsis:

calc84maniac wrote:
Yep, I am making an F-Zero game. In 3D. Time for an engine screenshot!

It gets about 9.5fps on the TI-83+, about 24.5fps on the faster calcs.
It pretty much just displays a 3D view of a 32x32 tilemap.
Sweet, looks really cool. I can't wait until I can program in ASM like that and I want to see this game done. Very Happy
So calc84, what's your timetable on this project? When do you plan to have a working public beta?
As usual, I don't have any date goals. Razz Maybe those would help...
calc84maniac wrote:

If you want to be really cool, get it done in three days. Very Happy
Mexi1010 wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:

If you want to be really cool, get it done in three days. Very Happy
Meanwhile, half a year later... Razz

I've been working on this a bit, and I think I have the sprite-coordinate-getter-finder-thingamajig working... finally...

Right now I'm displaying one of 3 sprites depending on how far away you are... which makes it look a bit strange, but at least that's how the 68K version did it. Also, I only have the sprite from the back, so it looks a bit odd without rotation. I hope to get a scaled sprite routine working so I can display the ship at any size, but if that ends up too slow, I'll be sticking with the fixed set of sizes.

Anyway, here's the screenshot goodies!
As I recall, there's a sprite scaling routine on ticalc.org somewhere, but I have no idea how good or fast it is.
I like to write my own routines, though. I think I have an idea which should make it go fairly fast. Also, I have played around with scaling before:
Oh, that was you that made that routine, I thought I remembered someone showing me that on AIM at some point. You should use it. Very Happy
I really like the screenshots! But I think that you should use 4 sprites instead of 3...
Wow. I'm glad someone is doing this, because I had just started to think, "You know what the calcs are really missing? A good implementation of sprite scaling, sprite rotation, and mode 7."

I had even started to work on the former two in basic. Needless to say, I'm glad someone made one that will actually _work_ in a game.
Dear God, that's awesome.
After an intense spriting session, I now have object rotations! I set up an object which moves and rotates, as shown:

I also added the ability to go backwards and "strafe" left and right, as you might have noticed in the screenshot.
WOW!
Hooray, I have now added grayscale! Who cares if it's 3-level, it still looks nice... Razz (Believe me, it looks awesome on hardware.)
pix plz

Seriously, this is so awesome. This will be right up there with Wolfenstein83 and Gemini when it comes to 3D games on the 83+ series.

Is there a demo of this available yet?
Nope, no demo... there's not much you can really do yet. XD
calc84maniac wrote:
Nope, no demo... there's not much you can really do yet. XD
Not even a tech demo of your engine so we can fly around the map going "oooh.... ahhhh...."? Smile
Fine, I give in. Demo here.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours