TheStorm wrote:
About the graph screen editor I think that may be possible you would need some way of entering and exiting the built in menus and storing whatever option they selected. If you have the cxCurApp set up correctly it should show you the correct menu items their may even be a way to trick ti-os into displaying the editor on the graphscreen with some hooks and flag settings. I could maybe look into it after I finish with my two 86 project.. if I ever actually finish any of them.

A program editor using the small font is more involved than that. It would have to take into account the variable width font when moving from one token to the next, and with displaying things.

I looked into this some more, and it's just impossible using the small edit buffer routines. All the different methods, including the multi-line ones, won't let you enter newlines into it. You could use a hook to change kEnter to what you wanted, but the edit buffer code just doesn't handle moving from one line to another at all. That's essential, plus it won't let you load in the contents of a program, although that might be worked around through changing the variable type to a string or similar.

You'd have to rewrite the small edit buffer routines with that in mind, but the essential entry points are documented, so if one wants to make the effort and disassemble it all, then reproduce it...it could be done.
I'm gonna stick with focusing on the other things I mentioned for now, I think; this whole small-font editor sounds like more work than it's worth.
How about adding grayscale? Idea
You could create an optional app, recognized by Doors CS will recognize, and which will implement grayscale (so that those who don't want this extra app can be free to not install it on their calc).
This would be great, especially for the backgrounds: it would be more easy to read the programs' names if the background would be light grey...
If it pleases the jury, I propose that when the defendant, KermMartian, gets some spare time he should start working on DCS7 again and add some features to his product, such as:

*Ability to create/delete Group files and be able to extract/add items to existing group files.
*Do something to the folders so on RAM Reset they aren't deleted.
*Possibly an editor on the TI-Graph Screen so you have more lines to edit on.
*Highlight items that can be selected when hovered over.

Prosecution also asks how much more time will the defendant, KermMartian, need to finish his final product or release candidates.

Your honor, prosecution rests... Very Happy
Yeah, those are all things I'd like to add, but I have precious little free time these days, alas. Hopefully I'll get some more soon and be able to get to adding some of those features.
Well then, if there anything I can do to help you get this so-called precious free time I'd be glad to help, I'm sure some others wouldn't mind pitching in as well Wink
tribal wrote:
Well then, if there anything I can do to help you get this so-called precious free time I'd be glad to help, I'm sure some others wouldn't mind pitching in as well Wink
Well, for starters I'd very much appreciate if you'd continue to help me brainstorm what you'd like me to add and any constraints (is 3 pages ok? Or does DCS have to stick within 2 pages? for example).
Most people have 84+SEs these days, and people with other types of calcs have had them long enough to know how to clear space. I'd say go ahead and move to 3.
I'm a little wary of 3 page apps since I have quite a few apps to begin wtih and I'm still waiting on Zelda and RW 2, but do what you must
I wouldn't mind 3 pages, but I sorta agree with elfprince13... Zelda coming out and all, but I personally wouldn't mind getting rid of some apps that are frequently used and if the group feature thing is added that means I can get rid of GroupTool and thats a whole app page free for dcs7.
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm a little wary of 3 page apps since I have quite a few apps to begin wtih and I'm still waiting on Zelda and RW 2, but do what you must
Yeah, I'm a little bit cautious of moving to three pages as well, especially considering how much people complained when I went from 1 to 2 pages. Granted that that was quite a while ago, but I think people are still a bit miserly with their flash pages.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Yeah, I'm a little bit cautious of moving to three pages as well, especially considering how much people complained when I went from 1 to 2 pages. Granted that that was quite a while ago, but I think people are still a bit miserly with their flash pages.

People use DCS because of its features. The people who care about their pages that much probably just use NoShell, anyway.
foamy3 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

People use DCS because of its features. The people who care about their pages that much probably just use NoShell, anyway.

The issue with going to 3 pages is that no matter how many features you have non SE users will not want to use it because it leave very little room for other stuff. When I give games to my friends I give then a choice of more features but less games or more games less features, you can probably guess which one is chosen more often. I keep both DCS and Calcutil on my calculator because Calcutil just doesn't have some features that I need but three pages is pushing it. Unless you add some amazing features I see no reason to have a three page shell. I really think DCS7 should remain 1 page at all costs unless you decide to do a light and full editions or some thing like that.
Even though I have only a normal 83+, I wouldn't mind even if DCS7 would take 5 flash pages, because I know that it'll be worth it!
Seriously, 3 flash pages is OK with me.
*Zagor jumps with joy knowing that Kerm will work on DCS7 after all*
I'm not sure what the Shell Expansions are capable of, but if you can implement as many of those as you want and keep the main shell to 2 pages, I think everyone would be happy.
I think you should just cut out a bunch of crap that won't ever see the light of day, like gCn.

Also, I think the mouse-driven GUI sucks and is a PIA. The reason it sucks it because there just isn't an input device suited to it, not because of your code. The interface was honestly the only reason I never used DCS much and preferred MOS.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are too tied to your GUI to scrap it and start over with a much more calculator-friendly interface, but that would both be a usability improvement and would cut down on space...
Kllrnohj wrote:
I think you should just cut out a bunch of crap that won't ever see the light of day, like gCn.

Also, I think the mouse-driven GUI sucks and is a PIA. The reason it sucks it because there just isn't an input device suited to it, not because of your code. The interface was honestly the only reason I never used DCS much and preferred MOS.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are too tied to your GUI to scrap it and start over with a much more calculator-friendly interface, but that would both be a usability improvement and would cut down on space...

I'm pretty sure he added all sorts of keyboard shortcuts that make it so you don't have to use the mouse if you don't want to...
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm pretty sure he added all sorts of keyboard shortcuts that make it so you don't have to use the mouse if you don't want to...

Which really doesn't change anything I've said. DCS is designed around the concept of moving a mouse with the arrow keys - a bad concept. Tacking on shortcuts is just hacking on partial usability to an unusable system.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

Which really doesn't change anything I've said. DCS is designed around the concept of moving a mouse with the arrow keys - a bad concept. Tacking on shortcuts is just hacking on partial usability to an unusable system.
It's meant to be more intuitive for people who are used to computers instead of calculators; the keyboard shortcuts are a concession to users like you who want to use the whole thing without a mouse.
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

It's meant to be more intuitive for people who are used to computers instead of calculators; the keyboard shortcuts are a concession to users like you who want to use the whole thing without a mouse.

The mouse is a pain when you're just running programs, but I definitely prefer it for things like swapping programs between folders. I think there was an SE where you could just type a number 1-6 to run the corresponding program. It may just be a usability hack, but I think it puts it right there with MOS anyway. I'd definitely keep the GUI.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours