Hey, there are 4 hardware enthusiast sites in a Folding@Home competition. I'm folding for [H]ardOCP, and if you guys could help out and join, that would be awesome.

Details here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1297404

Oh, and if you have an ATI 2xxx or 3xxx series card, please please please run the GPU2 client!

Its only for maybe another week or so, and its for a good cause - so help out! I promise, you won't even know F@H is running Smile
actually, when I ran F@H, my laptop ran really hot, even though it was plugged in.
I have a distributed cluster or two I might be able to get on this - is there a terminal-based linux client?
rivereye wrote:
actually, when I ran F@H, my laptop ran really hot, even though it was plugged in.

It should be fine - try it again for a week or so; just help out for the challenge Smile

Quote:
I have a distributed cluster or two I might be able to get on this - is there a terminal-based linux client?

Yes. Actually, the Linux client is farther along and better than the Windows client to the point that the people who tweak the system for max points actually run Linux client in a VM.

Remeber to use [H]ardApe for the user name and team # 33!
One GPU client, up and running.
The Tari wrote:
I have one CPU client running, but the machine seems a bit unstable with it running at full power for some reason.
The Tari wrote:

Thank you much!

@Kerm: That's a shame, but what do you mean by "a bit unstable"? Is stuff crashing, or just slow, or what? If the system is low on RAM, make sure you tell FAH to not accept large WUs.

Oh, and you laptop/tablet users out there, you *CAN* tell F@H to pause itself while on battery, so please, even if you have a laptop, help out! It won't hurt your battery life at all Smile

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier, but Fahmon (http://fahmon.net/) can monitor your F@H progess, give you a WU completion ETA, and will estimate your PPD (points per day) for you. Its cross platform, too.
gpu folding power is insane =) I believe we had a discussion about this before, I think that it was something on a scale of eitehr 10 to 100 times the cpu power (very precise, I know Laughing )
In about 14 hours, my GPU has done 4 work units, and I played around 4 hours of TF2 today (it can't/won't run when I'm playing TF2). Now how do the CPUs compare?
Quote:
gpu folding power is insane =) I believe we had a discussion about this before, I think that it was something on a scale of eitehr 10 to 100 times the cpu power (very precise, I know 0x5 )

Not really. GPUs aren't all that hot at general work yet - there are major restrictions (hence the reason the CPU is also pegged despite it being the GPU client Wink )

The Tari wrote:
In about 14 hours, my GPU has done 4 work units, and I played around 4 hours of TF2 today (it can't/won't run when I'm playing TF2). Now how do the CPUs compare?

Work units aren't all equal in size, so you can't measure comparable performance in terms of number of WU done. Use FAHmon and compare what your PPD is to, say, a quad core which pulls about 4000 PPD. My X2 @ 3.0ghz does about 1300 PPD, and my two laptops with C2D mobiles in them (2.2ghz and 2.33ghz) pull about 1200 PPD each

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours