TheStorm wrote:
I have too agree Office 2007 is nice once you get used to it, I still perfur 2003 but that just because I haven't had the time to get acustomed to 2007's new gui style.
I find the new GUI in 2007 to be a complete waste of time for both the coders and the users who now have to get used to a completely new interface. In my opinion there was absolutely nothing wrong with the old interface, everyone knew where to find things, and it worked.
Actually, once I have found items, I do find the ribbon bar better. I can do things in one to two clicks that used to take 4 or 5 on up. It is a new interface, but I think it was worth it, once you got used to it.
rivereye wrote:
Actually, once I have found items, I do find the ribbon bar better. I can do things in one to two clicks that used to take 4 or 5 on up. It is a new interface, but I think it was worth it, once you got used to it.

I feel the exact same way and that is why I am completely fond of my Office 2007.
Just like with Vista: some people love it and find no problems with it, some people hate it. Office 2007: some people love it, some people hate it. I, for one, hate both, but I do see some potential in Vista (unlike Office 2007).

As for AA, I still don't understand what Microsoft can gain from giving away OS software for free to students. Not saying it is a bad thing, but there has to be something in it for M$...
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
As for AA, I still don't understand what Microsoft can gain from giving away OS software for free to students. Not saying it is a bad thing, but there has to be something in it for M$...

Nope, Bill Gates is just cool. Deal with it. I don't get why some people act like he is the computer programmer from hell when most of the things you see today are based of his or his company's ideas. Well, I guess he is the programmer from hell if you are a Mac fan because he always has the upper hand on stupid Apple software. Razz Imagine what Apple iOffice would look like... ::goes to throw up::
Mexi1010 wrote:
Delnar_Ersike wrote:

Nope, Bill Gates is just cool. Deal with it. I don't get why some people act like he is the computer programmer from hell when most of the things you see today are based of his or his company's ideas. Well, I guess he is the programmer from hell if you are a Mac fan because he always has the upper hand on stupid Apple software. Razz Imagine what Apple iOffice would look like... ::goes to throw up::

Someone is forgetting about iTunes, the biggest music retailer in the world as of now... I don't see Windows Media Player coming close, even if I do like it better than iTunes.
Personally, I hate iTunes. iTunes is mostly only successful not because it is a great piece of software but because you NEED it if you have an iPod and since iPods have such a large market share it makes iTunes very "popular". But since I do not use iPods, I use foobar2000 which I really like and would use over iTunes ANY day. Rolling Eyes
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
Someone is forgetting about iTunes, the biggest music retailer in the world as of now... I don't see Windows Media Player coming close, even if I do like it better than iTunes.

Widely used != good. iTunes sucks. It is only popular because iPods (which also suck) are "trendy" and they require iTunes.

Delnar_Ersike wrote:

There is. They get students hooked on their products, which is especially nice for them if they get us CS students to like their products. For example, SQL Server. I can get SQL Server through the AA. Now, since I wouldn't have bought it, MS isn't out any money, BUT if they get me to like it, I will take that like to any company I go work for, and I could end up in charge of a new project, etc.. where I get to pick the database used. MS hopes, of course, that the free experience I had with SQL Server will make me want to choose it over, say, the superior MySQL Wink (ditto for IIS, Visual Studio, ASP.NET, VirtualPC, etc...)

But ultimately I get free stuff with no strings attached, so I'm happy Very Happy
Kllrnohj wrote:
Delnar_Ersike wrote:

Widely used != good. iTunes sucks. It is only popular because iPods (which also suck) are "trendy" and they require iTunes.

Well said, it is basically a very well compressed version of what I said. Razz
hmmm, the upgrade to 8.04 made it so my /home partition doesn't automount anymore, the buttons for closing/minimizing/maximizing windows have disappeared, and the button that used to bring up logout/switch users/shut down now just logs out.
Well tonight I plan to through Xubuntu 8.04 on the crappy comp in my room, it is my first experience with linux so we'll see what happens. I'm just hoping it will run better than xp does. But I'll see how it goes You guys seem to like ubuntu and it is one of the easiest distros to use so hopefully I won't have any issues.
TheStorm wrote:
Well tonight I plan to through Xubuntu 8.04 on the crappy comp in my room, it is my first experience with linux so we'll see what happens. I'm just hoping it will run better than xp does. But I'll see how it goes You guys seem to like ubuntu and it is one of the easiest distros to use so hopefully I won't have any issues.

Well I hope all goes well because I still remember my first linux experience...it went EXCELLENTLY...except for the stupid broadcom driver... Razz
Mexi1010 wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

Well I hope all goes well because I still remember my first linux experience...it went EXCELLENTLY...except for the stupid broadcom driver... Razz
Ah yes, the broadcom drivers have a lot of problems. You're better off using one of the alternative drivers for that. Razz
I got my broadcom wireless working fine, you just need to make sure its installed
Well, i knew even less about how drivers worked than I do now...considering I was using ubuntu 6 way back when too. Razz
Well I already have an issue I don't have enough ram to run the live cd. I need 384 and I have 128, so I'm going to look at the alternate install cd which should work with systems with less ram.
You could also use Xubuntu. http://www.xubuntu.org/ Which is designed for older systems with lower capabilities. I have used it and its fast but its is NOT limited trust me.
If you read my first post it says I am using xubuntu but the installers are the same for both of them and they both need more ram than I have.
Whoops...oh so sorry...for some reason I had read Ubuntu when I saw that post. I was not saying that the live cd was going to work I was saying your system may be better off with xubuntu...but since you already made that choice...congratulations. Very Happy
actually tari made that choice since he has it installed on a similar system though his has more ram.

Edit: hmm the xubuntu site said you need at least 128 to install using the live cd yet the cd itself says 384...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours