Those of you still on 7.10 - upgrades already!

Just finished upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04 last night, definitely an improvement. Upgrade went well (not quite flawless - but that is because I was using manually installed nvidia drivers Cool ), so don't hesitate to hit the ol' upgrade button.
I already tried the beta version and was very impressed. Are there any new upgrades in the last two weeks? I think I am going to get it on a separate partion this time though. Razz
I might install it on my computer; not sure yet, but I definitely need a distro to play with. Any issues to be aware of?
Probably not. Pondering whether I'll go ahead and upgrade my PVR machine to 8.04 tonight, or if I'll wait to see if the Mythbuntu guys have anything to say.

EDIT: yup, starting the update now
is it possible to get it to work on a laptop?
Liazon wrote:

Why wouldn't it?
I have the beta on my laptop, and it worked great. I am going to be shortly redoing my HDD shortly though, and will upgrade to the full version then.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Liazon wrote:

Why wouldn't it?
Of course it is, all drivers are properly present for use on laptops.
The only way to be sure if it'll work is to try it out, but you should expect that it'll work fine.

My PVR's upgrade went pretty flawlessly, although I'm not happy that the new apache index page just says "It works!" rather than giving me an index of the www directory (I could fix it, but I can just go to [ip]/mythweb/). It's really no problem.
The Tari wrote:
My PVR's upgrade went pretty flawlessly, although I'm not happy that the new apache index page just says "It works!" rather than giving me an index of the www directory (I could fix it, but I can just go to [ip]/mythweb/). It's really no problem.

Psst... That has been the default apache behavior for years now Wink Just delete the index.whatever file and you'll get a folder index.
so er, what's the worst that can happen? I don't have a vista disc in case things go bad and Spencer warned me of a grub bootloader.
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Liazon wrote:

Why wouldn't it?
Of course it is, all drivers are properly present for use on laptops.
That is not quite true. Ubuntu (and all other linux distros I have tried) do not have drivers for my wireless network adapter. I suggest using a Live CD to check compatibility first. I did read an article in LinuxFormat that said you could add windows drivers to a distro, and then burn it (or something like that) but I don't remember how.
Ubuntu (and Fedora, Gentoo, Mandriva, and OpenSolaris) worked fine with my wireless stuff. But like JoostinOnline said, you might want to try out a live CD first. Distributions of Linux tend to not come with drivers if they are proprietary.

Liazon wrote:
so er, what's the worst that can happen?

I don't think you will/can permanently mess up your computer by trying to install a distribution of Linux. If anything goes wrong, you can change the boot sequence to have a CD drive or something boot first, and then insert an installation CD for something else.
Liazon wrote:
so er, what's the worst that can happen? I don't have a vista disc in case things go bad and Spencer warned me of a grub bootloader.

The WORST that can happen is you could be a complete and utter n00b and hit "reformat" on your drive rather than resizing it. Wink

Other than that, you won't mess up your vista partition/drive. Although to be on the safe side I would make sure you have a good 48-72 hours time slot before you *need* to use the computer to do something important, just in case something does go wrong and its down for a day or two. I haven't had that happen with ubuntu, but I have with other distros, so...
In addition, I have yet to have problems with GRUB, except for once when it picked a different OS than I wanted to be the primary. Fixing that was the work of less than one minute after I JFGI'ed. Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
The WORST that can happen is you could be a complete and utter n00b and hit "reformat" on your drive rather than resizing it. Wink

And if you want to be a uber n00b all you have to do is go to (on vista) start, right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Then on the left panel expand Storage -> Disk Management and from there you have to right click on the C:\ drive and shrink it. Of course all this could be done when installing ubuntu...but some people enjoy being stupid. Very Happy
Mexi1010 wrote:
And if you want to be a uber n00b all you have to do is go to (on vista) start, right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Then on the left panel expand Storage -> Disk Management and from there you have to right click on the C:\ drive and shrink it. Of course all this could be done when installing ubuntu...but some people enjoy being stupid. Very Happy

Psh, look at this n00b. You can't resize the partition that windows is installed to while its running, just like Linux won't let you resize mounted partitions.
Yes you can...I actually did it last night. Razz That is how I got my Ubuntu installed this morning... Very Happy
Kllrnohj wrote:
Mexi1010 wrote:

Psh, look at this n00b. You can't resize the partition that windows is installed to while its running, just like Linux won't let you resize mounted partitions.
ROFL pwned by Mexi1010 Laughing
k, I was just wondering, cuz Spencer warned me I might not be able to get the grub bootloader off my comp and stuff like that.

I just need linux for z80/68k dev cuz the assemblers don't work properly on my vista laptop so I probably won't need such a huge partition. Is it possible to move files in between partitions? or do I need another partition to do that? jeez i feel so n00b.

also I'm guess I need to request for an Ubuntu liveCD by mail right?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours