Not sure if anyone had seen this yet, but it's something I've been using for a couple of months for simple things like syncronizing files between my servers and computers.

DropBox is a program for Win, Mac, and *possibly* Linux (Dropbox is still in active development, and I'm not sure if they had written a Linux app for it yet, but there was one in alpha development a while back). Dropbox is simply just a designated folder on your computer that will syncronize files between the Dropbox server and all your connected computers. This allows you to access all your files on the web, or in a folder on your computer. You're able to share folders with other Dropbox users and even share files from your public folder with non-dropbox users.

If you guys are interested, please use my referral url as it will give you 250MB more space on your account (then a regular registrant) and for adds that much to my account for each referred registrant. Heres my referral link:
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTQ4NjIzMjk

Check it out guys, it's pretty cool Smile
I've been using it for a while now and love it. I mainly use it to sync files between computers, but I also use it through the web interface so it can act as an online flash drive. It also saves each revision you make to documents so you always have backups.

And the linux version has been out for a while, now. You'll have a little trouble if you don't use nautilus, but it's still do-able.
You know what also works? A server running SSH with a 160GB harddrive and a router with DynDNS support Wink

No OS limitations, either Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
You know what also works? A server running SSH with a 160GB harddrive and a router with DynDNS support Wink

This is very much a true story.
Dropbox also gives public links, so you can just give someone a URL to view/download any file you want (assuming it's in your public folder). It works great as an attachment system for facebook messages.
Kllrnohj wrote:

True story indeed. Another thing that works is to leave your tablet PC docked, and Remote Desktop to it from the computer labs in school so that all your privacy (cookies, etc) is kept secureish on your own computer, all your files are accessible, and you can still print over Remote Desktop.
foamy3 wrote:
Dropbox also gives public links, so you can just give someone a URL to view/download any file you want (assuming it's in your public folder). It works great as an attachment system for facebook messages.

Said server could also be running Apache, and it could be running torrentflux.

Just saying.
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

True story indeed. Another thing that works is to leave your tablet PC docked, and Remote Desktop to it from the computer labs in school so that all your privacy (cookies, etc) is kept secureish on your own computer, all your files are accessible, and you can still print over Remote Desktop.

or use SSH with X forwarding Razz You can even get a portable X server for windows called Xming.

as far as publicly sharing files, Apache + an ftpd of some sort (I usually use pureftpd) is pretty much all you need.
Ouch. Is it just me or did everyone just bash the mess out of Dropbox? Neutral
swivelgames wrote:
Ouch. Is it just me or did everyone just bash the mess out of Dropbox? Neutral
It's not so much bashing as valid criticism that even if it's helpful for the average consumer, it's not so useful or cost-effective for us techies.
Indeed. I was somewhat teasing Wink

This is definitely a great tool seeing as you don't actually have to set anything complicated up. Especially if you don't have a central server of your own. And dropbox's server is dedicated so I'm sure you don't need to be worry about downtime as much.

I also like the fact that it's like just another folder on all your computers with the same contents. Although I have used remote access many times, it's kind of annoying having to use it whenever I need to access a file that needs to be shared. Dropbox also has the web interface which allows you to access it anywhere, so no need to worry about having the ability to remote access your computer at home Razz

This is mostly for those of us who don't feel like going through the trouble of setting all that stuff up, or who don't have the ability to (like me not having a central server (up at least) that I can store files to be shared between all my computers).

Wer ist Nathaniel van Diepen?
KermMartian wrote:
It's not so useful or cost-effective for us techies.

It's a free service. If you run your own server, you're paying for the extra electricity to keep it running. That's a really small cost, but it's still greater than using dropbox.

And if you're relying on your own server, you need an internet connection to access it. Dropbox actually stores the files on your harddrive. It obviously can't sync to update files without a connection, but it saves the files on your computer when it can. This is still stuff you could do with your own server, but it's much easier with Dropbox.
swivelgames wrote:
Wer ist Nathaniel van Diepen?

Sorry, I didn't have time to post, class had ended. But, yeah I decided to try it out, although I have tons of room on my website this is a pretty good. It makes it easy for us to share files with each other without having to upload it to a site or anything. Not that I stated anything new or anything....
Hmm that xming looks pretty useful I'll have to look into that, along with Dropbox, but I usually have my 1TB external HDD with me so I have plenty of mobile storage.
Ooh! I want a 1TB HDD! all I got is a 2 Gig u3 drive...
Eeems wrote:
Hehe, what a noob. Smile I have a 1TB external connected to one of my servers (which also has a 500GB and an 80GB internal), about 400 or 500GB total on a bunch of drives in my main desktop, and a 250GB in each of my two tablets.
I feel inadequate Sad
Eh, I'm stuck with my bulky 300GB MyBook... How's that for portable? Well, it's not... lol

I don't have hardly any money, so it's hard to get _anything_ new. I got this 300GB when I traded it with my older brother for my POS laptop. It was not a very fare trade, as the external costed significantly more then 3 of those laptops in that condition would cost XD
KermMartian wrote:
Eeems wrote:
Hehe, what a noob. Smile I have a 1TB external connected to one of my servers (which also has a 500GB and an 80GB internal), about 400 or 500GB total on a bunch of drives in my main desktop, and a 250GB in each of my two tablets.

2.3 TB in my desktop (1.5TB + 500 GB + 320 GB)
160 GB in my server
3x15GB 10k RPM SCSI drives in my rackmount (RAID 5, of course)
250 GB external
100 GB in school laptop
160 GB in gaming laptop

3 TB total currently live (actively used)

~100GB across ~4 old hdds
~160 + 120 GB in old desktop (I think, lol)

Quote:
This is definitely a great tool seeing as you don't actually have to set anything complicated up. Especially if you don't have a central server of your own. And dropbox's server is dedicated so I'm sure you don't need to be worry about downtime as much.

My shared server has 50 GB of space and 2 TB of monthly bandwidth. Wink

@Foamy and Swivel: But will Dropbox run my torrents? Didn't think so. (I got a web interface for that, too Razz ). If, for whatever reason, I want a local cached copy I'll just use subversion (I'm running that on my server, too)
"B*st*rd has a rockmount server?"

Okay Kllrnohj, we all know you're surperior, now STFU So I Can Get Referrals! Laughing

And stop editing your post! I keep having to click "Reload Frame" Razz

250GB in my desktop,
80 in my server tower,
300GB in my external,
and that's all folks...

My shared has 80GB and 2TB of monthly bandwidth.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours