The Tari wrote:
Not 10 FPS and Crysis in the same sentence.. hehe.

Yeah, ok, I get get about 20 fps. It's just rather amusing.

What video card and settings? I only get ~20 fps @ 1024x768 on medium, it sucks. As the game goes on, and the levels get more intense, my FPS has bottomed out. I have to drop to low to maintain playability, and, well, fuck that - the pretty graphics are the only reason to play :/
With my HD3850 I average out at about 15-20 FPS on Crysis. So I am happy! Very Happy
Kllrnohj wrote:

Laffer: Take a picture of the label on the side of the PSU that is currently in your computer.

There was only one label on the side so i assume this is the one you are talking about. There are two because i suck at photography.

Mexi1010 wrote:
I would recommend you just buy a whole new computer since the system you have is really outdated

I think in the end it would be cheaper and probably better if i just went ahead and upgraded the parts like i wanted to.
No, that is not the right label. PSUs have a label on them that have a lot more information. But since your computer is a Dell, it will probably not have one.
Mexi1010 wrote:
With my HD3850 I average out at about 15-20 FPS on Crysis. So I am happy! Very Happy

!? ew... 15-20fps is not considered playable... Enjoy the chop...
Yeah, I'm on a 512 MB 3850, get around 20 fps with it mostly maxed out at 1024x768 (a couple settings aren't).
Yeah, I know its not exactly playable but its better than not being able to run it at all.

@lafferjm: The price difference will really not be a lot if you get a whole new computer. If you do not buy a new monitor that is about $200 right there for a pretty good monitor. I'll put together something O.K. tonight. Trust me, getting everything new will make you a lot happier. (Trust me, I've been there recently.)
[quote="Mexi1010"]Yeah, I know its not exactly playable but its better than not being able to run it at all.[quote]

So drop the settings a notch :/

Quote:
@lafferjm: The price difference will really not be a lot if you get a whole new computer. If you do not buy a new monitor that is about $200 right there for a pretty good monitor. I'll put together something O.K. tonight. Trust me, getting everything new will make you a lot happier. (Trust me, I've been there recently.)

Dude, just shut up. He is basically getting a new rig, and just trying to save some parts - that is completely fine. Buying a new PSU, case, and monitor don't make sense if his current ones are fine. Guess what? ATX cases have been the same for like 15 years, so it will likely be fine. His monitor may be a great monitor and he would have no reason to buy a new one. If the current PSU he has is up to the task, awesome. Money saved, and he's still happy with his screaming fast rig.
I agree with Kllrnohj on this one. There's absolutely no point upgrading case and PSU if his old one is sufficient for a new computer. The only thing to check is that its power output is high enough for whatever components he selects.
I went ahead and bought an antistatic wrist strap for five dollars from radioshack today. It says to connect the alligator clip to a grounded surface, would the outside of my case work?
Yup, that's fine. You probably don't actually need one as long as you occasionally touch the case to ground yourself, but it's a good idea, nonetheless.
Yeah my teacher said something about touching the case but i do not work with computers enough so it would end up slipping my mind.
lafferjm wrote:
Yeah my teacher said something about touching the case but i do not work with computers enough so it would end up slipping my mind.

Meh, ESD is more something they tell little n00bs to scare them than something to truly worry about.

Hell, I put together my computer on carpet in socks and it runs great Very Happy
Well my check was a lot more than expected so i might be able to purchase all of the parts in one shot. When you said get the GeForce 9600GT this is what you were talking about right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150277. If it is i need to hurry up and order it so i can get that nice deal that they are offering.
Yeah, that's basically it. If you can find any other 9600 GT cards for less, you may want to go with those, instead. Otherwise, that's great.
Yes, that would be the 9600GT. I would recommend getting the Palit GeForce 9600GT just because of this review. The newegg link is this one. From what the review at [H]ardOCP is showing, this card is competing very well with the 8800GT but is cheaper. Though recently the 8800GTs have had some very good sales putting them at the $210-$220 range though as I said, performance wise they are looking very similar.

And I was saying NOT to get a new monitor, sorry I can see how my words could have gotten mixed up.
Mexi1010 wrote:
Yes, that would be the 9600GT. I would recommend getting the Palit GeForce 9600GT just because of this review. The newegg link is this one. From what the review at [H]ardOCP is showing, this card is competing very well with the 8800GT but is cheaper. Though recently the 8800GTs have had some very good sales putting them at the $210-$220 range though as I said, performance wise they are looking very similar.

And I was saying NOT to get a new monitor, sorry I can see how my words could have gotten mixed up.

Mexi, stop recommending stuff - now.

@Laffer: Screw the Palit recommendation - mexi is an idiot. For $200 you might as well get the faster 8800GT at the same price, but I digress. If I were you, I would grab the eVGA 9600GT - lifetime warranty plus you can upgrade to a new card within 90 days and only pay the difference in price - sweet deal. eVGA, XFX, and BFG all have excellent customer service and lifetime warranties, so as long as you go with one of them, you'll be golden.

EDIT: eVGA's card is cheaper now, w00t ($169): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130334
Give me some credit for trying Kllrnohj. Very Happy Oh well, I can make this recommendation, just listen to Kllrnohj laffer. Razz
*bumpity bump*

Laffer: Jump on this - now! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150277
Kllrnohj wrote:
*bumpity bump*

Laffer: Jump on this - now! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150277

What! Are you kidding! I payed $179 for my HD3850...now I am pissed...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours