For the low low price of your privacy.

No, but seriously, if you let MS monitor you for ~3 months you get free software: Choicse include Vista Ultimate (32-bit and 64-bit) and Office Ultimate 2007 (this is what I went for)

http://wfp.microsoft.com
Kllrnohj wrote:
For the low low price of your privacy.

No, but seriously, if you let MS monitor you for ~3 months you get free software: Choicse include Vista Ultimate (32-bit and 64-bit) and Office Ultimate 2007 (this is what I went for)

http://wfp.microsoft.com
Interesting idea, but I don't think free software is worth my privacy, especially subpar software like Vista and Office 2007.
KermMartian wrote:
Interesting idea, but I don't think free software is worth my privacy, especially subpar software like Vista and Office 2007.

If you read the FAQ and the fine print on what they monitor it is actually very reasonable. It is things like your windows settings, default programs for various extensions, etc...

Here is the quote from the privacy page:
Quote:
Collection of Your Information
We will collect personal information if you choose to participate in the Program. The personal information we collect includes your name, gender, e-mail address, city, and ZIP code. In addition, we will collect and store your survey responses. If you choose to participate in the automated feedback program, information about your software and your computer will be recorded and sent back to Microsoft. This information will be associated with your personal information. This information includes, but is not limited to:

* Initial survey.
* Subsequent surveys.
* Usage behavior.
* Number and type of software errors encountered.
* Performance of software and hardware products installed on your computer
* File and folder structures on your computer.
* What transpired during a network problem, including data obtained from various network connections, components, and devices installed on your computer.
* System-specific information, such as network devices, drivers, and settings installed on your computer.
* Office Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) data.
o More information about this program and the privacy statement for Office 2007 can be found here. To display the privacy statement for Office 2003, please search for “Privacy Statement” in Office 2003 online help.
* Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) data.
o More information about this program can be found here. Please also review the CEIP disclosure within the Windows Vista privacy statement.

Regardless, I installed it on my school laptop which is already monitored (to various degrees) by IT - so what do I care? Maybe MS will help me with my homework now Very Happy
hmmm, I'm signing up under the assumption I'll have better hardware and that SP1 will be coming out by the time end of the program.

Vista + Leopard on a Macbook/Macbook Pro would be a nice combo.
Looks reasonable, but I wonder if they monitor websites and such Confused

EDIT: Darn age requirements =\

Ah well, I will just sign my parents up =-)

QUESTION: Does anyone think that they gather an information on file naming and such?
Harq wrote:

QUESTION: Does anyone think that they gather an information on file naming and such?

monitor IT'S network + filesystem usage Wink
I was reading [H]ardOCP earlier today and I saw a post that looked exactly like what you said, and I realized it was you =P

I need to get another email to use... I really want to sign up for it but they don't accept gmail or similar...
Harq wrote:

No, it didn't monitor websites visited. It monitored network usage and network errors, but not the content going over the network (besides, why would MS give a a what sites you went to? Jeez, you aren't important Razz ) Oh, and aside from checking a box saying you are over 18 they never verify it in any way.

Regardless, don't worry about it - it seems that they have removed the free software part of the equation. So if after you go through all the survey questions and such, if it hasn't asked you what software you want before they ask to download and install the program, don't do it.

Quote:
I was reading [H]ardOCP earlier today and I saw a post that looked exactly like what you said, and I realized it was you =P

What was your first clue? Was it the identical user name? Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:

What was your first clue? Was it the identical user name? Razz

Nope, I was just reading the posts, and then I looked at the username =P

Well I deleted it now =P No software, no info =D
agreed, even though I have Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 Pro Plus, I don't usually turn down free software.

Also Kerm, both are good pieces of software, ok?
No, both are not good pieces of software. Okay?
allynfolksjr wrote:
For once, I agree with Nikky on this.
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
For once, I agree with Nikky on this.

Vista == Meh, OK-ish. It isn't leaps and bounds better than XP, but I do think it is an improvement in many aspects.

MS Office: Owns face. OpenOffice sucks balls compared to MS Office.
Perhaps, but Office 2007 << Office 2003. Why change the interface just for the sake of eye-candy? The old interface was familiar and functional.
I agree that the interface of Office 2007 sucks, but there are features added also that do add to it.
KermMartian wrote:
Perhaps, but Office 2007 << Office 2003. Why change the interface just for the sake of eye-candy? The old interface was familiar and functional.

I'm currently have a love-hate thing going on with the Ribbon. For the things that I've re-learned where they are on the Ribbon, I love the Ribbon (as it is much faster). However, for things that I know exactly where they are in pre-07, I hate the Ribbon because I can't find it.

I have found myself "discovering" things in Office that I hadn't previously known about because of the Ribbon, so overall I am in favor of the Ribbon as it *is* a step forward in UI design.
Yeah the ribbon makes some things easier to find ane others harder to find. I wish I could see more thatn one ribbon at a time. It is nice but is alot less customizable than the old system.
It may be more friendly, but at this point I'm so used to the toolbars+menu system that I can find just about everything I need in a few seconds.
Just got my set of Vista Ultimate DVDs in the mail. nothing to put them on until I get a new laptop post graduation, but they're here. Woot.
elfprince13 wrote:
Just got my set of Vista Ultimate DVDs in the mail. nothing to put them on until I get a new laptop post graduation, but they're here. Woot.
I don't think woot would be my initial reaction on receiving a set of Vista disks. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours