According to some scientists the light can break it's own speed, this maybe not be news to you but i thought that this thread could gain some life...
Here are some links for you to read

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/generalscience/faster_than_c_000719.html

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/07/20/speed.of.light.ap/

How far can be we from the trought well dig in and discuss many scientists are assuming what they now as laws till when they are valid i don't know, i only know that any knowledge we get will not stay eternal!!!

regards rayden
No no, this isn't a breakthrough. While they may have made something go faster than the speed of light (which itself is debatable), it's still impossible to send information faster than the speed of light.
KermMartian wrote:
No no, this isn't a breakthrough. While they may have made something go faster than the speed of light (which itself is debatable), it's still impossible to send information faster than the speed of light.

Unless, as was hinted, the information is encoded in pulses of light - which is basically what they did.

Just think what this could do for optical cable transfer speeds! Razz
My friend sent me a link to this expirement or one like it a few months ago, and yeah, light speed computers sound nice.
I saw this article before =)

And just for your future knowledge, it would be conjugated "Speed of light broken or not" Smile
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
My friend sent me a link to this expirement or one like it a few months ago, and yeah, light speed computers sound nice.

Light speed computers have nothing to do with the point of this article - its faster than light speed computers. They are already playing around with light speed computers - biggest hold up is just that they can't make lasers as small as transistors yet Smile
haha very true.

This could get very interesting though Razz
The problem in quantum processors is not the size but their life time we can only put it to work during 10 minutes then the processor dies... this is our biggest problem in quantum processors, this is due to some complicated things that i would need a draw to explain...

About the article the amazing thing is that light can breack its own speed...
I'm not referring to the speed of light get broken, because given two particles completaly sincronized they can interchange their state "information teletransportation (the record is in some miles)"... Now about the
Quote:
it would be conjugated "Speed of light broken or not"
i thought that you would know by now that this is not my native lang...

keep cool
rayden
Yes, quantum entanglement has a chance of "breaking" the speed of light, but has it actually been shown to truly happen simultaneously?
Quantum processors are already a reality but the number of problems to make the molecule stable are big, the magnetic fields that control it must be precisly a new attempt have been made to control it with fotons and it's really a great attempt, we already have a quantum processor only is speed works at 215Hz...
it is constructed with 5 atoms so is in reality a 32 bit CPU but as i sayd there are a lot of problems associated with them...

About processing things simultaneouly i don't know what you mean, since the qubit can have 4 states they can carry two states at the same time trought the spin, i don't know if you are talking about the qubit's...

Another thing about the speed of light get broken and it's use in optical communications we already have a technology that is being developed that is faster than it... as i sayd above the information teletransportation is already a reallity, and it's basic concept is not to defficult to understand... but problems with it are for the moment their big size and the huge junk that are required to make them work and in the fact that we cann't make the particles completely sincronized....

the main concept of it is that two particles completely sincronized can really interchange their state no mater the distance (i'm talking state not particle we can not measure how far a particle can move)....

keep cool regards rayden
All we need now are some dilithium crystals...
Rayden, you misunderstood me. What you're talking about at the end of your post is what I was discussing; it's called quantum entanglement.
Seems interesting. I think I had heard of a vague reference to this before...

And give them eggheads a year or two, they will have this all working perfectly... Razz
rayden wrote:
Quote:
it would be conjugated "Speed of light broken or not"
i thought that you would know by now that this is not my native lang...

keep cool
rayden

Does this:
And just for your future knowledge, it would be conjugated "Speed of light broken or not" Smile
look at all like I am accusing you?
I just told you so you would know in the future, and I do know that it is your native language, I was originally going into the thread to call the poster an idiot until I realized it was someone who was not a native speaker =)
I guess none of you heard about the article that some high school students technically made sound travel at the speed of light using PVC pipe and a simple soundcard.

Here's the link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16599496/
Quote:
My friend sent me a link to this expirement or one like it a few months ago, and yeah

That is the one I was talking about, thanks for the link, I had lost it. Very Happy
erct657 wrote:
I guess none of you heard about the article that some high school students technically made sound travel at the speed of light using PVC pipe and a simple soundcard.

Here's the link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16599496/

It didn't really do much, as the article stated. It fit an already theorized idea and didn't "break" any laws. The individual sound waves still weren't going faster than light.

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=APPLAB000090000001014102000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes
i've been trying to calculate the speed at witch the wave moves but this with the einstein equations does not work even without mass the lambda gives me infinit.... trying to calculate the energy infinit...

So i thought that the law have been not "broken" i think that there are two wave speeds inside the chamber interacting eatchother making it as seems that the particle travels faster than light... but i could be wrong this is an amazing discover to the science if this realy is true quantum mechanincs can have his last days counted....

About sound travelling at the speed of light that isn't great news in the C.E.R.N rings particles reatch the speed of light almost everyday and i'm not talking about fotons... using powerfull magnetic fields they can make particles to crash at the speed of light these crash even create temporary mini "holes"....

keep cool
rayden
Yes, but remember that the speed that compression waves, aka sound, can travel through a medium is limited by the physical properties of that medium, unlike for light, which is only slowed by its medium in extreme cases.
No, speed of light are also limited by the physical properties of that medium, for example when light reatches our atmosfere it slows a little not to mutch but it slows... Also the light slow's when goes trought an diamond crystal... Althought these slows are not noticeable because they are two tiny compared the speed of light in itself....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours