Apparently, the Alex10819.org server has been suspended.

Keith I hope you backed up your site, mine wasn't worth backing up. I still have a domain and Keith, if you're willing, I have a new host in sight and was wondering if you were willing to pay me at least a few dollars a month. I would host both our sites on a new and hopefully reliable host.

Keith, if you would also help me search for a host? I'm looking at StartLogic right now. You can find it at, http://www.startlogic.com/startlogic/index.bml

Any opinions on this?
.net? Isn't it .org now?

Anywho, I have an older backup of the forum (back at 16-17 members), but no rest-of-site backups. It's not like there's much TO back up file-wise. As for new hosting, I can't pay money for hosting right now. I don't exactly have a way TO pay for hosting. However, I'm thinking of switching to ZendURL for the moment. It's free (albeit with a creepy ToS) so that'd do for now.

As for StartLogic, it looks good enough to me. But what do I know about paid hosting? ^^;;
OK. I get about $40 a month from my Dad, lol. Any at the moment, I'm out of a job (one of the reasons I hopped onto Alex's train), so I could throw in a few of those dollors into a $5-$6 hosting at StartLogic. If you want to be hosted on my site, I might be able to find a way to host you.

I'll send the ToS and Policies to my lawyer today or tomorrow, and then I'll tell you all my final discission on which host I'm going to go with.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try and get a hold of Alex and see if we can get some DB and file backups.
Lawyer? Geez, I guess I don't know ANYTHING about paying for hosting.... ^^;;
But still, I'm kind of getting tired of "mooching" (hosting on a subdomain of a friend's hosting). I'm kind of getting tired of all the "unsyntax.blahblah.blahblah.whatever" URLs.

Here's essentially my game plan:
1)Secure some good free hosting (ZendURL or something) until I graduate High School
2)Buy hosting from one of the few good webhosts I know of.

Since I'm getting a credit card for college (hopefully, if dad doesn't act evil again), I can buy stuff.
Well, if you even have a LITTLE bit of money, you can still host it off my site and buy yourself a domain (unsyntax.com or something) and then direct it toward mysite. I'll deal with other stuff(like connecting it to the correct directory, etc...).

I'm not so much as recommending this as I am offering Smile

Domains are usually only about $10 a year.
And how pray tell, do I transfer said money? See? That's the issue.

That's why I'm going to host off ZendURL for the rest of this year and next.
I'd go with SurpassHosting if I were you guys; they respond VERY quickly on support, I've had excellent stability and uptime as well.
Hmm... I'll take a look into that one. But, Alex's hosting is back up so I'll stick with it for a while longer.
KermMartian wrote:
I'd go with SurpassHosting if I were you guys; they respond VERY quickly on support, I've had excellent stability and uptime as well.

Heh, sounds like something I've been telling you for years Razz
My site most certainly is not down.

I should know, I use it like once a month.
"Once a month"... It was suspended for about 3-4 hours on the day this topic started. Keith and I started to freak about a bit. So no, its not down right NOW. But yes, it WAS down. And every once in a while it will go down for random reasons. Not all the time, but just every once in a while.

I've been needing to move my site to a different server for quite a while now actually. I think I'm going with StartLogic. I've seen SurpassHosting, I think the last time I looked at it I didn't like it. I'll look again, maybe my mind will change... How do you know what your going to get? I looked at the full list of features, but that looks pretty generic. Not very full/descriptive I guess. The OC5 comes about to be about $4.03 a month, what do you get Kerm? Is it very limited in anyway? or unlimited in anyway?

----------------
Now playing: 30 Seconds to Mars - Battle of One
via FoxyTunes
swivelgames wrote:
"Once a month"... It was suspended for about 3-4 hours on the day this topic started. Keith and I started to freak about a bit. So no, its not down right NOW. But yes, it WAS down. And every once in a while it will go down for random reasons. Not all the time, but just every once in a while.

I think he was being sarcastic Wink

Quote:
I've been needing to move my site to a different server for quite a while now actually. I think I'm going with StartLogic. I've seen SurpassHosting, I think the last time I looked at it I didn't like it. I'll look again, maybe my mind will change... How do you know what your going to get? I looked at the full list of features, but that looks pretty generic. Not very full/descriptive I guess. The OC5 comes about to be about $4.03 a month, what do you get Kerm? Is it very limited in anyway? or unlimited in anyway?

I have the OC5 shared plan and I'm very happy with it. It isn't limited in any way except by what is stated (bandwidth and disk mainly) - although they don't seem to like it if you have a PHP script that loads up the server (*cough, World Trends, cough*), which is totally understandable and not something you are likely to come up against.
Yeah, SurpassHosting seems to be quite excellent if you aren't trying to make their webservers run predictive probability calculations on >>million-element data sets. :/
OK, awesome. I'll consider SurpassHosting Smile

Do they handle domain transfers btw? One of the main reasons my site goes down is because of the domain host.

As for alex's server... its down again.

I have refreshed quite a few times, tried my site, and Alex'...
swivelgames wrote:
OK, awesome. I'll consider SurpassHosting Smile

Do they handle domain transfers btw? One of the main reasons my site goes down is because of the domain host.

Surpass does domains via: http://www.surpassdomains.com/ however, it is more expensive than, say, godaddy. Having said that, make sure you have a domain BEFORE you register for your server (they will transfer your account to a new domain, but i would recommend you just get a domain before you get the server - it is just easier).
I already have a domian, but I need somewhere else for it to be hosted. My current domain host is the reason for all my sites downtime. The domain is down WAY more often then the site is. I would have stayed with Canaca if I had known this already as well. Right now, I'm paying $10 a year for my domain, and I'm thinking of going with GoDaddy.

----------------
Now playing: 30 Seconds to Mars - Battle of One
via FoxyTunes
swivelgames wrote:
I already have a domian, but I need somewhere else for it to be hosted. My current domain host is the reason for all my sites downtime. The domain is down WAY more often then the site is. I would have stayed with Canaca if I had known this already as well. Right now, I'm paying $10 a year for my domain, and I'm thinking of going with GoDaddy.

Just an FYI, there is no such thing as a "domain host" and it can't be the reason for your down time - thats one of those things that is "impossible". The domain company is just a registrar. All they do is register your domain with ICANN, which then pushes out the domain and IP to all of the DNS servers. As such, if you go to "somesite.com" and it is down, it is the host that is down, NOT the domain. The only way a domain can be "down" is if your registrar pushes out a new IP to redirect it to (such as if you failed to pay them).
Well then why is it that when ever I goto my websites through IP it comes up when it says it down when I goto the domain? Its complicated, but my website is almost always down, but the web server itself isn't down. Could it be that the host has all domains pointed to one domain that uses a system or some type of software that then directs it to the address given by the user? I'm not sure what it is, but its getting on my nerves.

----------------
Now playing: 30 Seconds to Mars - The Fantasy
via FoxyTunes
Probably because your DNS sucks.
... My site isn't being hosted on my computer. And if you mean to tell me that its my ISP, its not, I've had this occur plenty of times on different computers *EDIT:* and at different houses.

----------------
Now playing: 30 Seconds to Mars - The Story
via FoxyTunes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours