Hey all, I was browsing around and found my schools Remote Access Controller and got in. Whats the importance of this? and why would it be bad if I was able to get in? Cause I did get in.
According to this documentation:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smdrac3/

It appears to be a piece of Dell software for managing Dell PowerEdge servers. So yeah, I'd recommend not messing around with it unless you like breaking things. In fact, I'd more suggest you yell at your network administrator for not securing it better.
I'm contemplating whether to yell at him about it or teaching him a lesson by breaking it... or both Smile

Haha. I'll have to figure out who it is first, never met the guy. Probably a self-righteous IT prick(glad we don't have any of those here).
swivelgames wrote:
I'm contemplating whether to yell at him about it or teaching him a lesson by breaking it... or both Smile

Haha. I'll have to figure out who it is first, never met the guy. Probably a self-righteous IT prick(glad we don't have any of those here).

don't break anything to start with. Simply write him a friendly email reminding him to fix it. If he blows you off (i.e. doesn't do anything within a couple days, send him the same email with a RFPolicy 2.0 boilerplate at the bottom, that should get his attention
I skimmed through the policy a bit, but what happens if they don't finish it in 5 days? I didn't find that part, lol.

So far, it seems like the policy just says "Fix the problem in 5 days, or else!"... or else what?!?
swivelgames wrote:
I skimmed through the policy a bit, but what happens if they don't finish it in 5 days? I didn't find that part, 0x5.

So far, it seems like the policy just says "Fix the problem in 5 days, or else!"... or else what?!?

full disclosure Wink

its normally a software development thing, but applies well to other computer security issues, especially when it comes to making lazy IT people get off their collective arse.
OK, cool. Sounds good.

I'm going to send him an email when I find it.

Thanks for the info on the policy Thomas.

Also, one more thing. I wanted to know if I should refrain from disclosing my name in the email. Is my identity important when it comes to local communication and what not?
i'd say thats your call....it is a school employee, right?
Yeah. I think I'll just leave my name out. heh.
swivelgames wrote:
Yeah. I think I'll just leave my name out. heh.
If he really cared, he could track your email address down anyway, unless you create a random gmail account to contact him or something.
3 days left... I sent it to 2 different techs at my school...
swivelgames wrote:
3 days left... I sent it to 2 different techs at my school...
3 days left for what? I think it would be brash and unwise to do anything to the system, malicious or otherwise.
Eh, I'm just going to email that their time is up. Try and scare them into fixing it or something Razz

Nothing harmful, I wouldn't do that Wink
swivelgames wrote:
Eh, I'm just going to email that their time is up. Try and scare them into fixing it or something Razz

Nothing harmful, I wouldn't do that Wink
Nah, I'd caution you against threats too; that's a REALLY bad idea in this day and age. Calmly and logically explain the problem and suggest ways to fix it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours