I was over at a friends house today fixing their computer, and as I sat down I was an idiot and stepped on the cord plugged into the audio jack (It also plugged in to the microphone, but we got that fine...)

Basically, the top of the headphone jack has come off in his port, and I we couldn't get it out, so now I feel guilty =(

Anybody have any ideas that won't ruin the jack (its a laptop by the way...)?

My only idea now is to put some Krazy glue on the end of a small pin or something and hold it in until it dries to the piece, than pull it out, but then it might ruin it forever =(
I don't suggest taking it apart since it is a laptop. I've worked on laptops a few times and they take forever to put together/take apart, and it is easy to lose/break parts. I'm sorry to say that I can't think of anything else right now. Sad
Desktop or laptop? If it's a desktop, it's trivial to open it up and get the piece out, but it would be quite a bit more difficult with a laptop. The pin idea sounds pretty solid to me...
Harq wrote:
Anybody have any ideas that won't ruin the jack (its a laptop by the way...)?
Harq wrote:
My only idea now is to put some Krazy glue on the end of a small pin or something and hold it in until it dries to the piece, than pull it out, but then it might ruin it forever =(

That will only ruin it if you manage to be an even bigger idiot and glue the pin to the port itself and not just the broken off jack.

@Kerm: I fail to see how taking it apart would do anything as it is still going to be inside an enclosed socket with the only opening being what is already visible - or have you forgotten what a headphone socket looks like? Razz
Well, if it's like roughly 40% of audio jacks, the back/inside of it is partially open and a small object like a pin can potentially be used to lever the broken piece out.
Not to mention that some can be taken apart (the plastic cover comes off).
JoostinOnline wrote:

And the plastic cover is around what? Oh, right, the all-metal socket itself.
Kllrnohj wrote:
JoostinOnline wrote:

And the plastic cover is around what? Oh, right, the all-metal socket itself.
No, it holds it together Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours