And now, on a more serious note than the recently active topic. Razz
GIMP 2.4 has been released; the menus are better-organized, more tools have been added, and on the whole it's been spiffed up.

http://www.gimp.org
I became a little concerned when the Script-Fu menu was nearly empty, but I just found out all those functions have been standardized in the Filters menu.

SWEET!

I don't really see that many differences, except for a few shortcuts. And a few new filters Very Happy.
Harrierfalcon wrote:
I...I don't really see that many differences, except for a few shortcuts. And a few new filters Very Happy.
For one thing, there's the whole new Colors menu... Smile
And way more than "a few more filters".

And this new tool..."Heal?"

EDIT: Oooo, I love the new rectangle tool!
Too bad Photoshop is still 20 times better than Gimp can ever hope to be.

@Harrierfalcon... you seriously have never heard of "heal?"
Yeah, too bad Photoshop is infinitely more expensive than GIMP can ever hope to be.

No...what's it do? I haven't quite figured it out yet...
Photoshop is cheap compared to the profit benefits it presents compared to the limited-functionality of gimp.

Heal basically removes small blemishes. A great way to test it would be to find a picture of your face (or that of someone else), find a mole, pimple, or other imperfection, and then just set the radius of the tool to be slightly larger than that spot, and click. Of course you'll need to set a nearby starting point that it will start from. If it's anything like heal in photoshop, it will sample the pixels nearby and remove the flaw. Think of it as a smarter clone stamp.
Still. I'd like to save X number of dollars...

I see how the heal tool works now. Neat!

/me luffs GIMP 2.4.
Harrierfalcon wrote:
Still. I'd like to save X number of dollars...

I see how the heal tool works now. Neat!

/me luffs GIMP 2.4.
Same here. I have found very few things I can do in Photoshop that I can't figure out how to do in GIMP with little or no additional effort.
The first of many Very Happy!

I love this desktop. Just because.

Hey Kerm, guess what I used for those 'electricity' bolts? Smile
Those look like paths! Very Happy I'm having great fun with 2.4 so far.
good stuff, I upgraded as soon as I saw the news Razz
Haha, text along path. Epic wins and such; one more item off the list of things PS has that GIMP doesn't.
Anyone know if Gimp 2.4 will work on Vista? From what I hear, GIMP isn't/wasn't compatible....
KeithJohansen wrote:
Anyone know if Gimp 2.4 will work on Vista? From what I hear, GIMP isn't/wasn't compatible....
Well, from what I read, Keith, the GIMP 2.4 should work just fine on Vista. This is the only thing I've seen, and it really has nothing to do with compatibility.

GIMP Requirements Page wrote:
...GIMP should run on any NT-based version of Windows (NT4, 2000, XP or Vista). Older GIMP versions (2.0.x) could also work with older versions of Windows such as Windows 95 but they are not supported anymore. The amount of memory can be an important factor, especially if you intend to work on large images. A minimum of 128 MB of RAM is recommended, but the more RAM the better.
I installed old GIMP just fine on Vista (both 32-bit and 64-bit) - I see no reason this new version won't....
In case any further confirmation is needed, I am indeed pretty confident that GIMP 2.4 works fine under Vista.
I have Gimp 2.4 on Vista, and it seems just fine.
Love the text along path thing, great fun to play with Very Happy.
I'm really enjoying the fact that they combined the two color menus into a separate menu; that's been excellent for my design efficiency.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours