For those of you who may not frequent Omnimaga, over the past few months I've been working on a port of Chip's Challenge for calculators. Powered by Celtic III, I intend to bring this classic game to the TI-84 series calculators. At least the TI-83+SE is recommended, but it is playable on a regular 83+.

This demo contains levels 1-4 and 6-7 of the original game, with some minor changes due to the calculator's limitations. More info and instructions for installation and game-play can be found in the readme. (I hope I stuck this in the right forum)

Demo

Enjoy Very Happy
Nice job, and keep up the good work. I may have to start using my calculator to play games again Very Happy
Very nice, SimpleThinker, I look very forward to giving this a try. I used to love Chip's Challenge. Smile
I'm finally done with exams, and I have a two week break before the spring term starts (there's a course on Differential Geometry I couldn't resist Smiley). If I can get motivated, there should be a ton of progress. Some stuff I have completely planned out:
- Invert the HUD
- Adjust display for when the player is near walls (instead of adding 3 blanks on every side display the sprite not in the center of the screen)
- New idea for movement: Have all commands for tiles in one program, and depending on the tile (which will just be an integer) copy the needed code to a subprogram and run the subprogram. No need for If:Then or Goto/Lbl; just transfer the three or so lines at 3N-2 to a program and run it (might work well, might not; worth a try).
- Four more levels (they each contain some situations for tile arrangement that need special attending to)
Updates:

The initial testing of the new movement routine has gone very well. There's been a pretty good speed increase, and the execution time for tiles is somewhat more uniform. I believe the reason for these improvements is twofold: (1) There aren't as many If:Then blocks so there's less code to sift through, and (2) Many tiles have very similar actions/effects (like items, or doors, etc...) so certain things were being calculated as a function of tile number, but now, with the new system, everything is hard-coded.

I tried Celtic III's det(23 and det(24 commands and, except for a couple little bugs, there was an even larger speed increase. det(24 doesn't strip the newline so very quickly my program got filled with tons of newlines hint hint Smile

These improvements have come at a cost of nearly doubling the size of movement code; what once took 583 bytes now takes 1115 bytes. By rearranging certain commands common to all tiles (like the return value stating whether walkable or not) I should be able to cut out 2*48=96 bytes, but it's still much larger than what it was (but the program can be in the archive so it's not taking a chunk out of RAM).

I've also finished with inverting the HUD and adjusting the sprite display.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours