14%  [ 3 ]
No
 85%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 21

24 monitor Quake3: http://www.plastk.net/highres/24mon/

Resolution: 10240x3072

50 touchscreens: http://www.plastk.net/highres/50mon/
Resolution: 12800x5120
Wow, you know what that second image says to me? "Our department gets too much funding." Razz
Yeah... but why have touchscreen for Quake 3? You don't have 5 feet long legs or 45 fingers, do you? Evil or Very Mad

As for Halo 3, I am also surprised at how popular it is compared to how much it sucks. To put it bluntly: Halo 3 is the iPhone of gaming.

Here are some popular FPS games that don't suck, yet have come out or are coming out in the same year as Halo 3: Bioshock, Crysis, and GTA 4 (yeah, I know it's not really a FPS, but I couldn't resist).
Nah, my legs are only 3.5' long. Sad Still, cmon, how sick is that thing? Imagine using it for a blackboard/whiteboard with a really big stylus...
I don't think Halo 3 sucks, and I definitely would not call it the iPhone gaming. No, I'm not a fanboy (I don't even own an Xbox/360). Sure, there are games that are better or more intuitive than it, but it's still fun (at least multiplayer).

By the way, those touch screens weren't set up like that with the intention of playing Quake 3.

And for the record, I have a Wii. Cool
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Pugboy: You don't like UT2004? How can you deny the utter pwnage that is UT? I enjoy playing it, anyway.

He did say "Unreal", not "Unreal Tournament" - Unreal is a single player focused game - much like Quake 2 was.

@Pugboy: Don't even mention "HD" when talking about console games in the same context as PC games. Why? Because PCs have had "beyond-HD" resolutions for YEARS now. HD isn't all that high-def, with 1080p coming in at 1920x1080. That doesn't sound all that impressive now, does it? A 30+inch screen managing 1920x1080, omg! Too bad my mid-range, totally not fancy Thinkpad has the same resolution with a 15.4in screen Rolling Eyes

I was talking about Unreal Tournament, but I just wanted to shorten the post. I had limited time when I posted that.

Also, no PC will beat my TV, and it is not that small either. To some, PCs are not everything, and those would rather go buy a large TV and a 360. Also, I was saying that it was a good game in HD, not that it had the best graphics avalible, nor did I say it had the best sound ever. Rolling Eyes
Umm, computers have always had much better graphics than anything TVs can offer. For example, the monitor of the computer I am on know came with (i.e. we paid extra for, but got the standard model) a computer that ran Windows 95 (i.e. before 1998), and it is 1600x1200 max, I think.

As for Halo 3, the only gaming console that I own is a Gameboy Advance Laughing , so I might consider buying Halo 3 once it comes out for computers. However, I'm betting that it is rated M, so my parents probably won't let me get it anyway Rolling Eyes I haven't even played either of the previous Halo games, but I still don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal about Halo. I mean, Pokemon Red & Blue sold 6 million more more copies than both Halo 1 & 2 combined...

A decent amount of people at my school are excited about getting Halo 3, and the one person I have heard from who played it really liked it, commenting that the AI is much better.
b-flat wrote:
A decent amount of people at my school are excited about getting Halo 3, and the one person I have heard from who played it really liked it, commenting that the AI is much better.

*coughcrysiscough*

No game will even put a flame to the Crysis engine for AI and deformability for a while Very Happy

Ok, I'm exaggerating... but still...

My thoughts on consoles:
I have respect for the Wii because it has innovation, I have respect for the PS3 because it is more powerful than most PC's (at least for specific tasks) Once developers really start to put more effort into making the games look as good as they can be, the PS3 really will shine Smile
Pugboy wrote:
Also, no PC will beat my TV, and it is not that small either. To some, PCs are not everything, and those would rather go buy a large TV and a 360. Also, I was saying that it was a good game in HD, not that it had the best graphics avalible, nor did I say it had the best sound ever. Rolling Eyes

How can a PC beat a TV? They do completely different things! A PC does calculations and math, stores data, renders things, etc... A TV displays a picture. They are definitely not comparable on any level whatsoever. I'm guessing you meant "no monitor will beat my TV" - but I beg to differ. There are 30in monitors available with resolutions that will make your head spin - your TV will get owned by one of those. You have to remember that monitors are designed to be seen from maybe 1 to 2 feet away, and the shorter distance means your eye will more easily spot defects and imperfections. It is for that reason that monitors must uphold a higher level of quality than TVs, because you sit far back from a TV and it is therefore harder to spot minute imperfections.

Now I'm not saying your TV sucks, I'm just saying your TV (regardless of what kind it is) is definitely not better than high-end monitors.

Likewise, please don't through around buzzwords (HD) without knowing what they mean. HD only refers to a set of resolutions, nothing more. You can't have "better HD in this game than that game" - both are HD, and both are more than likely using the same subset of HD (eg, 1080i/p - depending on which your TV supports). The HD resolution that a game runs at on either the 360 or PS3 is limited (a vast majority of the time) by what your TV can take.

@Harq: I don't know, UT2k7 looks pretty dang good itself... Wink (bioshock uses an early version of the Unreal 3 engine that powers UT2k7)
UT3 looks awesome to, but what really tops off Crysis is the deformable objects. I really just want to buy it and start mowing down a forest with a machine gun =)

Unfortunately, they delayed the demo a month (I was planning on going to a friends house and downloading it, it will have the first whole level!)
Harq wrote:
UT3 looks awesome to, but what really tops off Crysis is the deformable objects. I really just want to buy it and start mowing down a forest with a machine gun =)

Unfortunately, they delayed the demo a month (I was planning on going to a friends house and downloading it, it will have the first whole level!)

Crysis is in public multiplayer beta right now. Extremely limited public beta, but still, thats a good sign Smile

Besides, I'd rather have a game be released "when it is done" than have a day 1 patch :/
Harq wrote:

Heh, if you have the $$$ for a gaming rig that can run it... IMO, Crysis will be more graphically demanding than ES4: Oblivion, but it'll sure be worth it (I am still gawking over the fact that the AI will play dead, but then again the developers are German, and if you know what German people's attitudes are like, then you probably know why Crysis looks, feels, and sounds so... perfect) Cool
Actually Crysis will scale down to 4-5 year old hardware...
Bah, from some leaked system requirements I saw, it wants 1 GB of RAM, a really fast P4 or better (2.6 ghz or something), 16 GB of hard disc space (!), and a Radeon 9600 or better. You only need an obscenely expensive rig to make it look like the videos you've seen.

EDIT: beat me to it, harq.
Harq wrote:

Don't be so definitive about a speculation, please. No minimum specs have been released, so no one truly knows what Crysis will or won't run on.

@Tari: It won't be an obscenely expensive rig. To get it to look like the videos would probably require at most a quad core (like $300 for a core 2 quad) and a current gen video card (8800GTS 640mb comes to mind - thats also like $300). I'm fairly confident my 7900GT and X2 4200 will be able to run it just fine at 1280x1024 w/ everything on at least medium (I can max Bioshock no problems) - and thats a last gen rig.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Harq wrote:

Don't be so definitive about a speculation, please. No minimum specs have been released, so no one truly knows what Crysis will or won't run on.

Not the official ones, but I bet these speculated specs are pretty close:

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/crysis-minimum-specs-revealed
http://www.crysis-online.com/Information/System%20Requirements/

And here is an interesting analysis of just game performance in general, with some Crysis estimates included: http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php/topic,4487.0.html

a good quote from that
Quote:
How well should you expect your system run?

I am basing these on a number of statements made by Crytek themselves, videos of the game run on an 8800GTX as well as other video cards and also personal hardware knowledge. It should give an accurate guide to how well your system would perform in Crysis.
These are:
BETA Performance - My estimations were not far off at all and anything you were given before, you can rely upon. But the BETA gives a very conclusive guide to how well you can run Crysis.
Official Statement - An 8800GTX can max out Crysis including full AA.
Video - An 8800GTX played Crysis maxed @ 1920 x 1200 in its unoptimized state very smoothly indeed. The only slowdown occured when a building exploded and that was only for a couple of seconds.
Statement - A Crytek employee said his 7800GTX ran the game on "fairly high settings smoothly".
Statement - A Crytek employee said his X1900XT ran the game "with most settings on high smoothly".
Official Statement - anybody with a 6600/X600XT or better will be be able to run Crysis.
Video - a video showed a French reviewing team playing the game's deathmatch alpha on medium-high settings with a 7800GTX (still unoptimized).
Video - a Crysis flythrough run in real time on an 8800GTX shows the game running very smoothly on max settings, and judging by the crispness, I would say that had a good amount of AA on it as well.

EDIT: I take back everything I said... They are basically released
http://www.crysisdemo.com/crysis-system-requirements.htm
Kllrnohj wrote:
Pugboy wrote:

How can a PC beat a TV? They do completely different things! A PC does calculations and math, stores data, renders things, etc... A TV displays a picture. They are definitely not comparable on any level whatsoever. I'm guessing you meant "no monitor will beat my TV" - but I beg to differ. There are 30in monitors available with resolutions that will make your head spin - your TV will get owned by one of those. You have to remember that monitors are designed to be seen from maybe 1 to 2 feet away, and the shorter distance means your eye will more easily spot defects and imperfections. It is for that reason that monitors must uphold a higher level of quality than TVs, because you sit far back from a TV and it is therefore harder to spot minute imperfections.

Now I'm not saying your TV sucks, I'm just saying your TV (regardless of what kind it is) is definitely not better than high-end monitors.

Likewise, please don't through around buzzwords (HD) without knowing what they mean. HD only refers to a set of resolutions, nothing more. You can't have "better HD in this game than that game" - both are HD, and both are more than likely using the same subset of HD (eg, 1080i/p - depending on which your TV supports). The HD resolution that a game runs at on either the 360 or PS3 is limited (a vast majority of the time) by what your TV can take.

@Harq: I don't know, UT2k7 looks pretty dang good itself... Wink (bioshock uses an early version of the Unreal 3 engine that powers UT2k7)

AGAIN.... I said it was a good game in HD, not that it was the best... Rolling Eyes
Harq wrote:
EDIT: I take back everything I said... They are basically released
http://www.crysisdemo.com/crysis-system-requirements.htm

Quote:
UPDATE: someone has deleted system requirements on EA Store website
We don't know if they are now confirmed

Those are "leaked" and not official - everything else is basically a complete guess by random people on the internet.

Regardless, a 4-5 year old PC still doesn't fall into this bracket, as the 6600 came out 3 years ago (and that is for minimum).

EDIT:
Quote:
AGAIN.... I said it was a good game in HD, not that it was the best... Rolling Eyes

AGAIN, I'm calling you an idiot/retard because you are arguing against something I never said. Rolling Eyes
Quote:
Halo 3 is one of the really good HD and surround sound games...

Anywhere, did I say it was better than any others? No! I said it was a good game in my opinion. If you want to call me an idiot, fine. But I am not the one blabbing on and on about random facts about HD and how all games are the same... It was my opinion, and I really do not care if it is the same! If you still want to tell me that HD is the same and only a matter of resolution, go ahead, but I was only stating that it was a good game on a 100" screen and surround sound.
Some people have played the beta on amd 3800's and lower end graphic cards... I will try to find the source later...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours