Well I will be going on an ungodly long car trip tomorrow and the next day, giving me plenty of time to program non-stop. Does anyone have any ideas for stuff I could make in BASIC on my trip?
what kind of programs have you made thus far?? You could make an RPG, that would keep you preoccupied for a while. Razz
Maybe a really bad "clone" of an already operating OS and screw it up so bad so that when we give it to people they are like "WTF??!!??"?
make Hangman? Download my Stock Market Game and play it?
No RPGs, im not a fan of oncalc RPGs. (except pokemon of course). I was thinking of making a gazillion random well optimized subroutines for nubs to use in their programs. But that wont be tooo time consuming.
Make a program to calculate the meaning of life, or you could just have it print out 42...
OK, here is something serious for once: Battleship with an OK/good AI and/or multiplayer.
Battleship AI wouldn't be hard at all.
Easy enough to do on a car trip....
how about a program which can turn statements into usable information? by matching words to their part, you can associate 2 strings, so that when
"Ryan is bored" is inputted, it creates a relation between "ryan" and "bored".

After that, the user could pose a question like
"Is Ryan bored", and then it could answer correctly.

Then use some Rands to add some personanality to it Very Happy

And/OR....
another quadratic equation solver! jk
Your talking about something that would be like SimmsAI (I think that topic got deleted along with the site going down) and would be far to complicated to achieve in BASIC or ASM for that matter. If it was possible it would be far to space consuming.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Your talking about something that would be like SimmsAI (I think that topic got deleted along with the site going down) and would be far to complicated to achieve in BASIC or ASM for that matter. If it was possible it would be far to space consuming.

Actually it is quite possible, albeit slow in basic. In ASM it would be easier since you could use a custom data structure, this way you have to use a string
You make have each element in 1 string separated by :'s
Than you can use 2 lists to associate each one.
How in the world would anything of this nature NOT be possible in ASM Razz Question There are very few things that cannot be programmed; and if it can be programmed, then it MUST be able to be done in ASM, because every language is based on ASM Rolling Eyes

Anyway, this doesn't sound too hard to do in basic, though it would get slow once it got a lot of information:

Data format (two types):

Object (i.e. Ryan in the example) . relation (i.e. bored) . more relations (i.e. boy) : Another object, etc

The other way, would simply switch the two (i.e. it has a list of everything that is "bored" or "boring."). The hardest part of the program would be converting words to a common form, so the program would associate ryan with both bored and boring.

I've attempted things like this before, and it is not too hard...
You basically repeated exactly what I said =P

I just started on one 5 minutes ago because I have nothing better to do (actually I do, but meh...)

I am almost done with the answering a question part. The slightly harder part will be accepting a statement. It is an easy idea, just hard to implement in basic (I am using strings with a format of something like this ":1:I:2:happy:3:Cemetech:4:cool"
In ASM it would be a lot easier since you could do whatever you wanted for the format.
Oh, thanks for reminding me, I need to see if I can resurrect that simmsAI topic.
Not impossible, but very impractical.
impractical?
:instring(Ans,"?")
:not(Ans

If Ans =1, then statement, if Ans = 0, then its a question...

The possible sentence structures for statements:

"Subject is Adjective"
"Subject are Adjective"
"I am Adjective"
"Adjective + Subject is Adjective"
"Adjective + Subject are Adjective"

Just look for the words is, am, and are....
(Could someone check this/expand on this?)
If it's no so impractical, you do it Razz
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Not impossible, but very impractical.

I am willing to bet that I could make one in basic that is less than 2kb
Its at 335 right now with partial implementation of the answering questions (I stopped working on it, I am working on modeling and being bored right now)

I might complete the answering part tomorrow and do more in school...

It is annoying to implement, not impracticle... I just need something to convert numbers to a string, I will end up programming an if x=5 "5->str1
Then i will...

it shouldn't be that hard. Anyways, I've been working on a "word bank"/thesaurus for some time which does associations. If you care, it simply converts text (7 characters) into a single number, which can be easily stored to a list, which associates to another list. Then, to make a query, take the query text, convert it to the 14-digit number, and create a new list with the same dim and fill it with that number. Subtract the two and SortA, which will give you the closest results at the top Very Happy
The impractical part is.... what's the point??

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours