Should I write a tutorial about this method? It's really pretty easy if you're familiar with the GIMP.

Looks very good. I really think you should write a tutorial.
It's basically a combination of paths, gradients, and using the Perspective transformer. I should indeed write it up.
Yes, indeed you should.

(Looks at pathetic attempt at his 3D avy)

For obvious reasons Smile.
Yeah, please write a tutorial. Smile
I would love to see a tutorial for that in gimp.....Nice job Kerm... Cool
Would be a good idea. I don't even know how to use paths, never needed to before.
Oh dude, paths are key. I think I'll write up a combined intro-to-paths/ faking-3D article.
That'd be even more helpful ^_^.

Actually, I've been reading a lot of tutorials, and I've gotten better, but even though I know how to use Perspective and Selection-to-path (oh, so hard, I know), I still can't get a good 3D effect yet. But I can do this:

And I can do glossy buttons and text...

[/self advertisement]

But a tut on paths and 3D would help a LOT Smile!
lol...it seems we have been looking at similar tutorials....(Theres not to many out there from what I've seen
Sad )

I've done the same tutorial relating the plasma cloud.....(Your first image)

Good Idea good work
I see you've also mastered using plasma and wind to create metal. Smile
Yeah, a tutorial would be great.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours