Platformers, even in their origins, were never just all about platformers. Take Super Mario Brothers, for instance (different than Mario Brothers). It's other things, too, but it's still definitely a platformer. In my opinion, you always need to be able to die by jumping onto or into a death trap of some sort, though.
Empty
Err... platformers are usually side-view when 2D. They also usually have arcade-like gameplay, or possibly fast-paced and athletically challenging puzzles, like those in Sonic and Knuckles. Don't let me stop you, though. If you think you've got a platformer, go for it.

Well, I sure have my idea now! I'm excited.
Ive seen some good 3D platformers.
So have I, but you aren't likely to see many on Z80s.
Thats what I plan to do, in basic *gasp*
I made a 3D BASIC maze game at one point in time using the pic vars. I hadn't seen anyone else do it yet, so it was original in my mind. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen (take a look at Wolfenstein, Gemini, or others), only that they aren't quite as common or practical to make as 2D things.
weeellll, mine is going to be 2D in a 3D environment.... my 3D maze game didnt use pic vars, it allows you to see 4 spaces into the distance which pic vars wouldnt allow.
Calc84maniac made an actual 3d raycaster in basic. It gets *sigh* 1 frames per second.
baorder54 wrote:
Calc84maniac made an actual 3d raycaster in basic. It gets *sigh* 1 frames per second.
1 frame per *minute. Very Happy 1 fps would actually be marginally acceptable for a realtime BASIC calculator game in my opinion.
'tis fun to put calc84's raycaster on low quality mode and run it through PTI's fast mode.
Empty, Too bad that you only can delete some of your messages...
The levels seeing how the engine would only be used to make the levels playable.
I would have said the engine - as long as you're representation as a sprite jumping around on platforms or objects, I'd say it's a platformer regardless of how said objects are arranged.
baorder54 wrote:

He needs to go a step further and make a raytracer Razz

Might actually be plausible to make one in asm (maybe 2 frames per minute or so)

EDIT: Search ticalc for raytracing and there is 1 asm program that is for raytracing on the 68k calcs...
No, Assembly makes things infinitely faster if you do them right, and sometimes even if you don't. Besides, it's raycasting.
haveacalc wrote:
No, Assembly makes things infinitely faster if you do them right, and sometimes even if you don't. Besides, it's raycasting.

I said raytracing, it is incredibly more detailed. I was looking at the wiki entry and apparently on march 16th or so this year, a university revealed a way to raytrace in real time without a massive amount of resources.

Raycasting cannot actually render reflections or refraction. Ray tracing is pretty much the epitome of detail when it comes to graphics, current 3d games use rasterization though, because of how hard it is to do raytracing in realtime (look back at my previous paragraph =P Just look on wiki...)

=O http://www.openrt.de/Applications/games.php
This is a popular thread.

Anyway, I hear that HF had to start his project over. Any comments?
I've still got over 1.5 months. And now that I think about it, my idea wouldn't have much replay value, so I'll prolly do something else.
I've seen real time raytracing done on three networked PS3s running Linux....

Biggest problem with raytracing is the current lack of GPU acceleration - all that untapped power pissed away.... (FYI: A modern GPU can do significantly more calculations per second than your CPU can)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours