It isn't an original idea, but it sure looks pwny.
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/
Took them long enough. But it looks cooler than I ever imagined it. But what happens when you put a bowl of popcorn or chips on it Wink?
First thought was "cha-ching" - how much is this bad boy gonna set you back? Then when they talked about ordering food and buying phones, I couldn't help but think - wtf? First they talk about home use (pictures, e-mail), now is this for a business? Who they hell orders food in their own home? Surely this won't cost THAT much Very Happy.

EDIT: More information available here (such as cost, ~$10,000, ouch): http://news.com.com/Microsoft+hopes+Milan+table+PC+has+magic+touch/2100-1041_3-6186732.html?tag=nefd.lede
Kllrnohj wrote:
First thought was "cha-ching" - how much is this bad boy gonna set you back? Then when they talked about ordering food and buying phones, I couldn't help but think - wtf? First they talk about home use (pictures, e-mail), now is this for a business? Who they hell orders food in their own home? Surely this won't cost THAT much Very Happy.
You do realize it's meant for restaurants and stores and such as well? I think they're imagining the Surface as something ubiquitous.
KermMartian wrote:
You do realize it's meant for restaurants and stores and such as well? I think they're imagining the Surface as something ubiquitous.

Do you realize its actually meant for both, but that consumers just won't be able to afford one when they first come out, so they slapped on some business-appeal to get units out into the public?
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Do you realize its actually meant for both, but that consumers just won't be able to afford one when they first come out, so they slapped on some business-appeal to get units out into the public?
Of course. Plus, businesses are better-equipped to deal with whatever exorbitant fees they decide to come up ith.
It would be fun to get 10 people touching the table, just to see how many points Surface can handle at a time.
Which makes me wonder what happens when one person sits on it. (Or lies on it).

Would it recognize the difference between an 83+ and an 84+SE Wink ?
Some things:
1. It would be funny if Surface could only interact with what was on top of it. For networking, you'd have to put the other computer on the screen. Razz

2. That screen had better be durable. If people try to use virtual mallet instruments or snare drums, it could be like TV victims of Wiis.

3. Someone should make a disco floor. Seriously.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours