If you haven't already heard, I (known as TI-Ho over at UTI and wikiguru at wikidot.com) created z80-heaven for the advancement of z80 programming. It's been around for a while, and if you did hear about it/checked it out in the early days (back in feb of 07), it does not resemble 28 days that much anymore Very Happy

Just thought you would like to know what I've been up to, and hopefully you'll check it out and contribute more it.
Well, make sure to check TI Freakware for the signup/in system to be complete, and you can add your link to our database. Smile
same for Rivereye Studios (when it gets done (if it does)).

Will you have ASM tuts that anyone can understand?
Quote:
Will you have ASM tuts that anyone can understand?

I hope this is just you haven't not read them yet instead of you being critical of my not-so-good tutorial writing. I have included links to other tutorials following the same basic idea if you feel like you need some more info on that subject.
I think he is just trying to get your opinion of the tutorials before going. Razz
correct TI freak (sorry, but my time has gotten valuable, and I have seen a couple "easy" tutorials I couldn't understand).
Oh, okay. You probably should know then that the site is incomplete. I've been jumping around, doing different things here and there.

If you feel that a tutorial would be hard to understand in anyway, feel free to change it yourself, or tell me and I'll do my best to make it easier to understand.

Also, feel free to add any new material that's missing.
ok, well, I guess once school is out, I will do that for you (as with school and work, I have very little time, haven't worked on my site much lately).
Do you program in Assembly, rivereye? I didn't know that. Confused
no I don't, been trying to get into it (as BASIC seems so, dull compared to computer programming).
What really worked for me was to carry around a double-sided page of this wonderful thing. Whether or not you want to continue programming in opcodes is completely unrelated to the usefulness of it. I mean, I could switch over to assembled TASM stuff or the like and be just fine. In fact, I've sometimes used an assembler when I couldn't find my calc on occasion. An opcode reference (especially that one) is useful because:

1. It's a list of every possible combination of everything that works.
2. It lets you know what isn't possible, which can really be quite helpful in getting rid of syntax confusion some people might have with an assembler in the beginning.
3. It serves as a checklist for which instructions (and their manipulations) you have and haven't learned.
4. That specific opcode list gives cycle info, which allows for optimized programming.
5. I lost 10 pound in 2 days! Razz

In conjunction with Patai Gergely's instruction documentation (buried within the depths of his Asm tutorial, which I didn't really find useful), Asm really just clicked for me.

Sorry to be a a Z80 missionary, but it just seems that too many people are stuck on the wrong things in learning Assembly. Even if you find Asm confusing or something, you can just B_CALL your way through everything (I don't) and it's still faster than TI-BASIC, in which case you would find TI's system routine documentation useful.
I just used 83pa28d (that's 83+ Assembly in 28 Days), and it clicked (aside from bit-level instructions, which I rediscovered while working on my first asm project). I then got a copy of of the system routine documentation (very useful- I need somewhere that I can print that and not pay for ink), then I discovered wikiTI, and poof, I'm now writing LIFOS.
So that's what I should do if I want to start writing LIFOS...
OK, yeah, that was rather strange. I was just trying to point out my relative mastery now. (z80 assembly was my first programming language after TI-BASIC, which doesn't really count).
If you're interested in helping, welcome aboard, too. Fallen ghost hasn't done anything (recently, anyway).
Oh, you probably don't want me working on LIFOS. I can do things just fine, but I probably code things in a fairly unoptimized way, seeing how I just started actually programming in Assembly, like, a month ago. I'll do whatever, though...
Whatever. If nothing else, I can bounce ideas off you.
Go ahead and join the project at SF.net, if you'd be so kind.
It says that I should contact you to join.

*waves*
Are you registered on sourceforge? If not, do so, then I need your user name to add you to the project.
I already did (as haveacalc).
I've been slowly adding information onto z80-heaven. However, there's still a lot of information missing and I could use some help from other people filling stuff in. It's not that I don't exactly understand the information, it's just that there's a lot of it and I'm not exactly sure how to organize it so others can easily understand (also I may not understand them as well as others do). There are also a few topics that I really don't understand, so if anyone would be willing to fill in those sections or explain them to me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the areas that still need to be started/completed:

input and output
data manipulation and basic math
the stack
floating point stuff
direct input and output
LUT's and jump tables
Grey scale
Sprites
advanced math
Integrated development environments
directives
instructions set
Glossary (add more terms and definitions)
Key codes
Scan Codes
macros

And some topics I don't know much/anything about:
linking
sound

Also, is there anything else you think is missing/should be added to z80-heaven?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours