I have no problem with debate, I have a problem with aggressiveness. I'm trying to stop this before it snowballs. Forgive me if I seem hasty.
Kllrnohj wrote:

I wouldn't consider some of the people here smart (not naming names) Rolling Eyes

lol....I know who the not smart people here are....
***Mexi1010 points finger at himself.

EDIT:
alex10819 wrote:
Kllr, while I understand you're trying to get your point across, do try to be a little more civil please.

Lol....is this possible? Hehehe Just Joking Kllr.
Mexi1010 wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

I wouldn't consider some of the people here smart (not naming names) Rolling Eyes

0x5....I know who the not smart people here are....
***Mexi1010 points finger at himself.

***Grabs Mexi1010's finger and points it at Kllrnohj***
Joking....Joking.... We're all smart here.
@Kllrnhoj:
Of course video games aren't the only cause of everything you ever do. I'm not saying these gunmen were inspired to kill their classmates by video games. I don't know where they got the idea (and we never will seeing as how they all seem to commit suicide). Many of these gunmen, especially the Columbine gunmen, take a theology of their own or adapt others' theology to themselves. Klebold thought he was God.

Apart from the genuine massacre instances (Columbine, VA Tech), all of the copycats have had one thing in common: "to outdo Harris and Klebold." Somewhere these kids are learning that it is cool to kill and destroy more things than their peers. Where are they learning that if not from violent video games where you get a better score depending on how many people you slaughter?

What happens when video games aren't enough to deal with violent impulses? Exactly what we're seeing now, with the average violence level of crimes shifting away from the middle of the spectrum. The more violent crimes are fewer, but when violent crimes do occur, they are violent with no remorse and they are violent to as many people as possible. Yes, there are fewer crimes--but the intensity of those crimes is much greater than before. Would you rather 30 die at once than 300 people get knifed in the arms and legs over the course of a month? You have said that crime is less now, and because of the obvious increase in intensity of these crimes, you have implied that all crimes, no matter what level of offense they are, are exactly equal. You have implied that all crimes are punishable by the most severe punishment which is death.

When did I say forced? "The even smarter thing to do would be to take these people and identify their violent personalities right off, to shape them into killing machines and send them over to Iraq." Isn't that what the Army does already? The Army puts out a free online FPS called "America's Army" that it uses primarily as a recruiting tool for kids who like shooting people. The bitter reality is the USA is already doing what I said they should do, but only for one video game instead of all of them as I suggested.
Gah! O_O
Stop monologing!
Too...much...to...read......
You do realize they might just as well have a connection to any number of terrorist groups? Video games don't neccessarly do anything to a person, unless they cannot tell reality from fiction.
What about movies? A violent video game gets endless grief and cries to be baned, yet a violent movie with killing, raping, etc... gets an Emmy/oscar/whatever-the-hell-award-goes-to-movies. Hell, what about MUSIC? Rap songs are FILLED with 'gansta' lyrics that glorify drive-by's and whatnot in real life (aka, being a "gansta'"). Or what about the NEWS? Have you watched the news recently? Have you read a history book, where the winner of the war is often the one who kills the most? Violent impulses can come from many places, not just from video games. For example, look at what is probably the most horrific demonstration of mass killing - the Holocaust. I'm pretty sure Hitler never played any video games, but according to you, violent impulses apparently can only come from video games Rolling Eyes

And I should have specified that by crimes I meant violent crimes. Here, read this: http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/violence_and_videogames Note: updated statistics are available here: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cvict.htm but if you don't feel like going there, here is a quote from the site:

Bureau of Justice Statistics wrote:
Since 1994, violent crime rates have declined, reaching the lowest level ever recorded in 2005.
[...]
The violent crimes included are rape, robbery, aggravated and simple assault, and
homicide.
The National Crime Victimization Survey redesign was implemented in 1993; the area with the lighter shading is before the redesign and the darker area after the redesign. The data before 1993 are adjusted to make them comparable with data collected since the redesign. The adjustment methods are described in Criminal Victimization 1973-95. Estimates for 1993 and beyond are based on collection year while earlier estimates are based on data year. For additional information about the methods used, see Criminal Victimization 2005.

Sources: Rape (excluding sexual assault), robbery, and assault data are from the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS). Ongoing since 1972, this survey of households interviews about 134,000 persons age 12 and older in 77,200 households each year about their victimizations from crime. The homicide data are collected by the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) from reports from law enforcement agencies.

And to narrow it down to homocides only, look here: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/teens.htm While it did spike between 1990 and 1995 (for some age groups), it has steadily decreased since then to the levels it was at around 1980-1985 (with 1980 being higher and 1985 being lower than current levels for 18-24, and 14-17 being around the lowest its ever been)

EDIT: I particularly like this quote from the gamerevolution.com article above:
Quote:
According to the FBI, the murder rate hit a new 40 year low in 2004. I can't imagine a better statistic. The best selling video game of 2004? Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
I pretty much agree with Kllrnohj.

(Thanks for typing all of that for me Wink)
Our school finally had its copy cat bomb threat today. Someone left a note in a locker room saying a bomb was in the school. It was the fastest i have seen the school evacuated. It usually takes about 20 minutes to get everyone out during a fire drill. They sent all students to the soccer field and the closest building to it is the cte building. Police were blocking the road to get to the school and they had at least five cop cars just sitting in front of the school. They all had their bomb sniffing dogs too. I am actually surprised that this happened too because it is only the third bomb threat in any of the three schools(elem. mid. high.) in 11 years.
I don't think my school has ever had a bomb threat... the worst thing we had was when someone found some ammo in a bathroom, so they locked us down for 3 hours... I was in computer apps class, so I ddin't particularly mind Razz
My school has had several bomb threats. They used to send us outside, but now we just have to go to the auditorium. We haven't had one for about two years, though.

@lafferjm: Your school actually has a soccer field? That's sweet. Our soccer team uses the football field. Rolling Eyes
foamy3 wrote:
My school has had several bomb threats. They used to send us outside, but now we just have to go to the auditorium. We haven't had one for about two years, though.

@lafferjm: Your school actually has a soccer field? That's sweet. Our soccer team uses the football field. Rolling Eyes

Isn't that pretty stupid what if there really was a bomb, they would feel like idiots then.

And yes we have a soccer field and it actually looks better than the football field.
You lucky little.... we dont even have a soccer team anymore. Class of 2011 here has like 5 soccer players =( At this school we havnt had any bomb threats that I know of ever.
We are now in the process of evacuating for yet another one.
lafferjm wrote:
We are now in the process of evacuating for yet another one.

Um... That sounds suspiciously like a "my room is on fire, but I'm here talking about it on IRC" bash quote...
The area i was in wasn't allowed to leave yet.
oh fun.

In the entire history of my high school, we have not had to be evacuated for any reason, besides drills of course.
--
Well we have no school tomorrow because yet another note was found. The contents of this one actually made the radio and tv instead of just the tv. It said "We are going to blow this mother fucker up on friday".

Because of this they are calling in state and local bomb people and some crime people so they can figure out who is doing it. I hope they catch them to so they can sit in jail for the next 60 years. Oh and sorry for the profanity above.
What school is this, lafferjm?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours