bfr wrote:
elf: But some people (apparently, such as Harq) might not look at it that way, even if they are wrong

I am not sure of the dictionary definition, but I interpret it as the best. Kerm may be one of the best, and maybe the best at some things, but not best overall.
Seriously, be more modest in the "Press Release" (the idea of which feels very silly to be honest).
Harq wrote:
I am not sure of the dictionary definition, but I interpret it as the best. Kerm may be one of the best, and maybe the best at some things, but not best overall.

Which is why your statement is incorrect. Look up the dictionary definition next time, and not just whatever the hell you think it should be defined as.

Oxford English Dictionary wrote:
prolific

• adjective 1 producing much fruit or foliage or many offspring. 2 (of an artist, author, etc.) producing many works. 3 plentiful.

Dictionary.com wrote:
pro·lif·ic /prəˈlɪfɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pruh-lif-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. producing offspring, young, fruit, etc., abundantly; highly fruitful: a prolific pear tree.
2. producing in large quantities or with great frequency; highly productive: a prolific writer.
3. profusely productive or fruitful (often fol. by in or of): a bequest prolific of litigations.
4. characterized by abundant production: a prolific year for tomatoes.

Nothing in either definition mentions quality, merely rapidness of production, and if you have the most programs created, then you are obviously the most prolific.
Yeah, saying your own quotes is a little weird too Wink And yeah, I think the main point should be DCS, not you, or cemetech, I mean a link the cemetech somewhere would be fine like "cemetech.net- the home of...- but all of the self glorification is a tad corny.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Yeah, saying your own quotes is a little weird too Wink And yeah, I think the main point should be DCS, not you, or cemetech, I mean a link the cemetech somewhere would be fine like "cemetech.net- the home of...- but all of the self glorification is a tad corny.
It's a press release - it's my job to promote Cemetech and Doors CS; it's news media's responsibility to remove bias. I think you guys aren't getting the point of a press release. It's not meant for release to the general public; it's used as a source by news media writing articles, which they balance with facts from research and information from competing companies.
The self-quoting is ridiculous. Its also gotten too long. Hell, just keep the first two paragraphs and dump the rest of that crap. It should be short, sweet, and to the point - nothing more. Or you can use the 'women's skirt' analogy - it should be long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting Very Happy

And Kerm, write it like people will just post it on the front page (which is what they will do if you are lucky). This isn't a 'real' press release, so don't write it as such. Write it as a product announcement, not marketing BS
Exactly. How you have it now, you're just begging to be flamed. I suggest saying something to the effect of "Doors CS 6 is here! We've done all this since the last release! Download now!"
Don't overdo it; it seems that what you have now might actually dissuade users from using the shell, if they think you're just puffing it all up, which it pretty easily could look like.
http://www.cemetech.net/doorscs/docs/pressrelease2.pdf
MUCH better Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
It's a press release - it's my job to promote Cemetech and Doors CS; it's news media's responsibility to remove bias. I think you guys aren't getting the point of a press release. It's not meant for release to the general public; it's used as a source by news media writing articles, which they balance with facts from research and information from competing companies.

Then simply state the facts. Don't go on describing about yourself too much (give yourself and those that helped you acknowledgment).

Also, as for preachy, eliminate most things about that refer to Doors CS as revolutionary. Usually once is enough Very Happy

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty well written press release, it just that it could be so much better.
Looks good, but you should also add something for developers, such as that it has a full blown GUI API (which, as far as I know, is unique to DCS...) - not too much, just a sentence or two throwing that in there
Very very good. That one is oh, eh, 4x better then the last if not more IMO =/ Where all are you planning to get things posted?

EDIT: @'nohj Agreed. There should be a section directed at how developers can make some of the best looking programs with DCS ect..
Oh yeah, I opened the manual, and realized that it seemed kind of empty, covering the bare minimum. Maybe expand a little more, like include a section on Frequently asked questions, your TODO list, version history, etc.

@Kllrnohj: go here: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Developers%27_SDK
I beleive 'nohj knows these things, he is saying it needs to be included in the release information, to be more appealing to dev'rs.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Looks good, but you should also add something for developers, such as that it has a full blown GUI API (which, as far as I know, is unique to DCS...) - not too much, just a sentence or two throwing that in there
Dropped a sentence at the end mentioning the GUI API and MOS routines
Calc Buffoon wrote:
Oh yeah, I opened the manual, and realized that it seemed kind of empty, covering the bare minimum. Maybe expand a little more, like include a section on Frequently asked questions, your TODO list, version history, etc.

@Kllrnohj: go here: http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Developers%27_SDK

Thanks for not paying attention at all to what I was refering to Rolling Eyes. You know, something about the PRESS RELEASE, not the wiki or the manual.
Just because you have the most programs uploaded to ticalc.org doesn't mean anything. I could go make 500 different equation solvers and upload them. I would be the most prolific author then, but it wouldn't mean anything. Also all in all I think the press release should be bagged. Usually things travel by word of mouth if they are good. Maybe you should let DCS6 speak for itself.
Halifax wrote:
Just because you have the most programs uploaded to ticalc.org doesn't mean anything. I could go make 500 different equation solvers and upload them. I would be the most prolific author then, but it wouldn't mean anything. Also all in all I think the press release should be bagged. Usually things travel by word of mouth if they are good. Maybe you should let DCS6 speak for itself.

yes it does mean something, it means he's the most prolific. and you'd have a hard time writing 500 equation solvers, and getting them accepted Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
Halifax wrote:

yes it does mean something, it means he's the most prolific. and you'd have a hard time writing 500 equation solvers, and getting them accepted Wink
Not to mention, my programs are a bit more advanced and useful than quadratic equation solvers. Smile I'm more of a proactive marketer; I go out and let people know about my stuff so they say, "hey, that's cool" faster than they would if they just came across it randomly.
*bump* At this point, unless events dictate otherwise, I'm on track for a Wednesday release. There's also a slight possibility I might go for a Thursday-Friday instead of Tuesday-Wednesday rollout, but we'll see. The rollout plan:

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 Morning
o Pack up DCS6, write brief readme, add Manual, submit to ticalc.org
o Pack up DocDE6, submit to ticalc.org
o Pack up and submit TabFuncs to ticalc.org
o Get other authors to submit their betas to ticalc.org

Wednesday, April 17, 2007 Morning
o Submit articles to all major TI news sources and fora. Contact ticalc.org staff if possible
o Release on Cemetech
Wednesday, April 17, 2007 7:00pm
o Submit story to digg. Also create mirror in case site Digg-crashes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours