Webassign is an online homework system. You sign in, you click on the assignment, you do the work. Even tells you if you're right or wrong (until you run out of tries). It sounded cool, but the guys at NCSU (North Carolina State University) programmed it extremely poorly. Seriously, I can't even DO the chemistry homework.

Honestly, does NCSU doesn't even know what significant figures are?

*Warning: Science Content*

[H] = 5.99e-8 M
Calculate pH with proper significant figures

Answer = 7.222

Come on! Any chemistry teacher knows the proper answer is 7.22
THE ANSWER IS SUPPOSED TO CONTAIN AS MANY SIGNIFICANT FIGURES AS THE PROBLEM'S SMALLEST VALUE!!!!

*End Science Content*
Looks to me like there are two possibilities:
    You did the problem wrong (I don't feel like thinking)
    Someone put in the wrong answer (more likely; just hold down the 7 key too long)
It happens every assignment! Seriously, my dad KNOWS chem and agrees with me.

NCSU makes every every answer 1 significant figure more or less than what it should be! That's just plain stupid!
..Indeed 'tis. Most strange indeed.
Yup, you're right and they're wrong. Teh 3v1l.
It's even WebAssign 4.0 too. Honestly, 4 versions (plus any Alphas, Betas, and RCs) and they leave this big flaw?

[/rant]

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours