Keep asking questions; we need the traffic. Very Happy
Yup, and we get bored (and destructive) if we get left alone too long. Razz
The Tari wrote:
Yup, and we get bored (and destructive) if we get left alone too long. Razz
And when we get bored, we code massive and useless programs. Keep us occupied!
KermMartian wrote:
Keep asking questions; we need the traffic. Very Happy
Gladly! Razz How are things displayed directly to the lcd? I've been using plotSScreen as the address to send my bytes to, but it's gotten annoying in that the display only updates when I either go to the graph screen outside of program execution or use GrBufCpy.
KermMartian wrote:
And when we get bored, we code massive and useless programs. Keep us occupied!

*cough DoorsCS 6 cough* Just Joking

There is an LCD driver, and two LCD ports for it. It's usually more have a hassle to manipulate the LCD directly, so plotsscreen is normally used, and then it is copied form there to the LCD with GrBufCpy, ionFastCopy, or something else like that. You can learn more about it here, and/or wait for the more experienced assembly coders to come and elaborate/correct (on) what I said. Smile
That explains everything! I like that much better than relying on a slow ROM call. The only problem that I foresee is not having the display backed up on the calculator anywhere.

I should look through Asm in 28 Days more often. I bet it would answer a lot of my questions.

Edit: I just came to the realization that, even though I could speed what I do plenty by displaying directly to the LCD, there's no reason to spend so much time doing that if I'm not already having problems with speed.

If anyone could answer this following thing for me, however, I would be very grateful: When I use GetCSC, no keypress usually returns $81, but sometimes returns 0. What should happen and what could be going wrong?
That is really weird. Can you post the code you used for getting/displaying the keypresses?

Code:
EF1840
FE0028F9
324093C9
Well, it's working like it should again. That was really annoying when it didn't, though.
And always remember to do 'or a' (B7) rather than 'cp 0' (FE00).

Edit: 800 posts!
Those two bytes thank you.
Ok... I've made a little thing to display an 8x8 sprite in the top-left corner of the screen, based on in-program data. Can anyone think of optimizations or better ways to do this?
Code:
jr thestart
.db $18,$24,$42,$5A,$42,$BD,$3C,$18
thestart:
ld hl,$9340
ld a,8
ld bc,$9D97
ld de,$000C  ;Can I cut off 2 zeroes?  I haven't assembled this.
loopy:
ex af,af'
ld a,(bc)
ld (hl),a
ex af,af'
inc bc
add hl,de
inc a
jr nz,loopy
ret

The sprite's supposed to be a little robot guy. Wow, this is good practice for opcode reading! Razz
Definitely don't do the ex af,af' thing - you'll fail epicly if an interrupt triggers inside that.
Ok.
Code:
jr thestart
.db $18,$24,$42,$5A,$42,$BD,$3C,$18
thestart:
di
ld hl,$9340
ld a,8
ld bc,$9D97
ld de,$000C  ;Can I cut off 2 zeroes?  I haven't assembled this.
loopy:
ex af,af'
ld a,(bc)
ld (hl),a
ex af,af'
inc bc
add hl,de
inc a
jr nz,loopy
ei
ret
It's a little more efficient if you put the sprite data at the end, but if you're assembling by hand, that's too much work and I don't blame you. Other than that, looks good. (Although you could use the stack to preserve A rather than use AF', since interrupts are nice to keep on)
I seem to be having trouble with stacks. Whenever I try to push or pop anything, my calc crashes (both of the ones I've tried). An example of this would be this, which should pop the 2 bytes from (SP) to DE:
Code:
D1C9
The calc crashes when I try to alter SP an any way. Can anyone think of a reason for this?
haveacalc wrote:
I seem to be having trouble with stacks. Whenever I try to push or pop anything, my calc crashes (both of the ones I've tried). An example of this would be this, which should pop the 2 bytes from (SP) to DE:
Code:
D1C9
The calc crashes when I try to alter SP an any way. Can anyone think of a reason for this?

It's certainly going to crash if you try taking something off the stack without putting something on first, but I'm sure you know that, so no. There's really no reason for it crashing.
If you're just mucking about with the SP register without disabling interrupts (stuff like incrementing sp), you could easily get a crash. If you're just pushing and popping, though, it'll work fine.
Since when is the pop instruction two bytes? I think you're using the wrong opcode. And yes, you have to match pushes and pops - never pop until you've pushed.
Why would this simple little prog crash?
Code:
di
inc sp
ei
ret
Opcodes:
Code:
F333FBC9
Because the SP isn't in the same spot it was when the program started - you do know that other things (*cough, TI-OS, cough*) use the stack also, right? Likewise, RET uses the stack to know where to return to, so you are returning to a random address as the two byte return address is no longer aligned properly with the SP (since you inc'd SP, but didn't decrease it)

You should probably go read about the stack in "Learn Z80 in 28 days" before trying to use it in a program Rolling Eyes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours