http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/06/05/meraki_solar_wi.html

According the article, you will be able to transmit wifi up to 700 feet, or if you get special equipment, you can go on for miles.

I wonder how the ISPs will counter this...
*prints out article, distributes copies around neighborhood, waits*
[ Curiously peers out the Internet Window and wonders why there are several black armored vans going his direction... ]
That's awesome. 18 miles? Wow.
I'll wait until it reaches +30 miles.

Anyways, man, that would be awesome to use. If you somehow set up your own ISP for free or something and then used that, you could be like king of the free ISPs... Or maybe make it pretty cheap... Atleast $5... anyways... That PWNS!. ALL YOUR RADIX N00BS! W()()T! <-- my pshycotic fit attacks again... sorry... I shall go be seeing my counselor now...
This may be an FCC violation. This definitely is a violation in the small print of your broadband agreement. Razz
Psh, the FCC can kiss my ; always ruining things for people.
Anyway, that is pretty cool. I would be happy to not have to pay for High-Speed Internet if someone else will give it to me for free or <-$10 dollars a month. Razz
Most people would be happy to do that, to tell you the truth.
Reminds me a bit of Google TiSP... Razz

http://www.google.com/tisp/
Insanity wrote:
Psh, the FCC can kiss my ; always ruining things for people.
Anyway, that is pretty cool. I would be happy to not have to pay for High-Speed Internet if someone else will give it to me for free or <-$10 dollars a month. Razz

OF COURSE people would be happy to do that! Think about it, if this person did that let's say he spent $200 on all the hardware and is paying $50 a month for internet service. If he charged $10 to use it and has 15 people paying that is $150 a month. He would pay off the hardware in 2 months and people would be paying for his internet connection while everyone is using it!
Internet controlled by the private sector! Yippee! Very Happy
They already have antennas for wifi that significantly boost your signal range, and you can purchase them legally - they are called "Cantennas". Buy one here http://www.cantenna.com/ or build your own with a pringles can (google reveals plenty of "how-to's").
Yeah, but then Google stores your IP and what your search query was for 2 years. Neutral
Sting::Ray wrote:
Yeah, but then Google stores your IP and what your search query was for 2 years. Neutral
...and?? Yeah, and the Man totally cares that you're Googling cantennas.
This reminds me of a wifi jammer I saw on Daily Cup of Tech somewhere (can be made for about 140 dollars, blocks wifi within 20 feet I think).

Also reminds of of the Digg topic about how the FCC is about to auction off another part of the spectrum.
KermMartian wrote:
...and?? Yeah, and the Man totally cares that you're Googling cantennas.

It may care, and the FCC might track you down and kill you! Razz
Sting::Ray wrote:
It may care, and the FCC might track you down and kill you! Razz

Methinks the FCC has better things to do than to track down people who build [legal] cantennas Rolling Eyes.
Methinks I may need to start using sarcasm tags... Razz
well someone said that that breacks the FCC rules, but i say that is not the only thing 30 miles are 48300m or 48.3 Km if you increse even more your sinal will be more weack this is due to the surface of our planet... Waves are transmitted in planar lines thus when we increase the sinal range we will get even weaker values of signal this does not depend of the power of the sinal being transmitted but as i said the curvature of the earth.... Thats why you have FCC rule standards... This is why that is really bull shit...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours