alex10819 wrote:
My onboard sound works flawlessly in Ubuntu Smile

Same here with my Asus P5W DH.
alex10819 wrote:
My onboard sound works flawlessly in Ubuntu Smile

With what motherboard/chipset, though? When I first tried it, the nForce 590 SLi I had was relatively new. Some claimed success, and I knew more or less what driver to use, but I never really messed around with it cause I didn't really care - Audigy FTW! Very Happy
erm... I don't remember...
true, it does depend on the mobo you get. If and when I decide to upgrade my desktop, I will do a good bit of research on which one to get for the chip I want.
Hello Harq what is up
when u upgrading to quad core?

POS aka A.P.
POS wrote:
Hello Harq what is up
when u upgrading to quad core?

At least not until an AMD quad-core CPU comes out - which is currently looking to be the second half of '07 Rolling Eyes
Yeahhhh.......I forgot.......Harq told me it was coming out later this year
Hmm... I might hold off on my new system build until then...
good idea, quad core is going to be very powerful

ps
nice picture
POS wrote:
good idea, quad core is going to be very powerful

Maybe, maybe not. But the new AMD CPUs won't be powerful just because they are quad core. The current Intel quad-core's don't have any advantage whatsoever in any non-multi threaded application (which is almost every game with the notable exception of Supreme Commander) over the core 2 duo variants.
Yea, I love my new webcam Razz

hmm... quadcore... If that's half as powerful as dualcore...</sarcasm>
But it also depends on the clocking speed or the processesors speed/power
POS wrote:
But it also depends on the clocking speed or the processesors speed/power

Which is what I was saying - hence the reason your statement that 'quad core will be powerful' is incorrect.

On a slightly related note, Intel now has quad-core Xeons, which, when configured in a dual-CPU box, gives you 8 core 2 cores to play with Very Happy http://www.bootdaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=460&Item%20%20id=56%3E%20&task=view&id=460&Itemid=56
awesome.
POS wrote:
awesome.

Please refrain from making 1 or very few word posts please Surprised (on the same note, don't double post, use the edit button etc. good to know before you start Wink )

EDIT: Please please PLEASE stop talking in abbreviations.... Mad

and I will not be upgrading to quad core because AMD doesn't HAVE ANY OUT YET (they may have an opteron, but I am not sure and have no time to check right now...)
I will once they are released and prices go down though, I am choosing amd because they said that the quad core processors will run on an am3 port but will be backwards compatible in an am2 port (although they will have to clock down a little...)
If it is a different socket, in no way will it have to "clock down" to be backwards compatible. There isn't any clock speed limit for the AM2 socket Rolling Eyes The memory may be slower, but the CPU performance won't be any different between sockets...
Kllrnohj wrote:
If it is a different socket, in no way will it have to "clock down" to be backwards compatible. There isn't any clock speed limit for the AM2 socket Rolling Eyes The memory may be slower, but the CPU performance won't be any different between sockets...

Well... Actually, the difference is that the am3 processor will have a memory controller for ddr3, which will also be able to run it with ddr2. I'm pretty sure that the processors will slow down a little to accomodate it though... not sure....

And when I said "clock down" I was referring to slowing down to handle the slower memory (I know that ddr3 has more bandwidth and lower power usage, but is it actually faster?)
Your RAM and CPU run at different speeds just fine now (thanks to multipliers), why wouldn't they in the future with DDR3? I'm not saying overall performance will be slower (due to DDR3 likely being faster than DDR2 - if not at first, but eventually), but I am saying that CPU performance will be identical.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Your RAM and CPU run at different speeds just fine now (thanks to multipliers), why wouldn't they in the future with DDR3? I'm not saying overall performance will be slower (due to DDR3 likely being faster than DDR2 - if not at first, but eventually), but I am saying that CPU performance will be identical.

Ok, I understand what your saying now, the cpu will run exactly the same as it would on an am3 slot, but the memory will just be able to provide more bandwidth than with ddr2, is that it?
Something like that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours