Well, last night the internet on the computer in my room went out for no aparent reason. I am on my sisters computer (the computer I am getting wireless from) and it works fine. When I right click my little network thing and say 'repair' it says 'windows is renewing IP adress' after an hour or so good 'ol windows gives me an error can not complete message. What should I do?
Restart your router (or modem) and computer?
Ive restarted the computer. How do I restart the tower box thing... bleh im such a noob at this. my sister never lets me near this stuff, but the week she's gone it stops working =(
Pull the power. Smile
I unplugged it from everything once. Didnt do anything.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Ive restarted the computer. How do I restart the tower box thing... bleh im such a noob at this. my sister never lets me near this stuff, but the week she's gone it stops working =(

Thats extremely unusual to have a sister who is the techy around the house Razz
She is not the techy at all. She thinks she is, and my mom beleives her. The only reason she knows how to work wireless stuff is because she took 4 days reading the instruction manual and playing with it to get it to work >.<
So if I understand this right, it goes modem/router->sister's computer->wifi->your computer?

If so, go to your sisters computer, and on the network connection (control panel->network connections) double click on the one that is connected to the internet, then go to advanced tab and make sure "Allow other computers to connect to the internet through this connection" is checked. Then hit "Settings" and make sure (at minimum) DHCP, UPnP (TCP), and UPnP (UDP) are checked.

If all that is set up still (no reason it wouldn't be), you must make sure than the wifi connection on her computer has a DNS server running on it. If it doesn't, you probably have a static IP set-up, but only she would know the numbering scheme she is using and if she wants it for dynamic or static IP....
ok when I connect it says it requires a WEP key. where on my sisters computer might I go about finding this.
Well.... you can't, sorta. If yours is the only PC connecting via WiFi, you can change the WEP, but you can't view it. To do this you need to use whatever program came with her wifi card and to which you are attempting to connect (as I don't think Windows lets you set up a card in access point mode - so it would have to be with whatever software came with the wifi card)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours