For your general TI-Basic needs, I recommend you check out the TI-Basic Developer wiki. It has lots of useful information that will help you become a better TI-Basic programmer.</plug> For your TI-Basic optimization needs, I would recommend Arthur O'Dwyer's The Complete TI-83 Basic Optimization Guide. I hope both of those links are useful to you.
b-flat wrote:
Well, here are a couple of recommendations I have for your code:

* DON'T USE LBL/GOTO statements. They can cause memory leakage, they are slow, and they are highly prone to errors.

* You don't need ending " or ); save a few bytes Smile

* Make all of the menus custom with some kind of neat way to select things (I have used the basic cursor (made fancy, of course on the graph screen), blinking selection, boxes, etc). This will make your program MUCH more attractive and usable

* Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but there is no label C1, so there isn't any "chat"

* Chat is nearly impossible to use in basic; linking commands don't work very well, so I'd recommend removing this feature or using an ASM program to help

* xLib does wonders for graphics on programs. You could also use xLib to have a run program command & have highlight menus & checking the amount of free RAM

* To make a calculator, simply have Input "",A:Disp A and a way to return to the OS

* Make sure you don't have memory leakage with calling different programs

* A screen saver or automatic power down (if you are using an ASM program to help); those are always nice and they would make it more like windows

* Lots of useless software updates Very Happy

* One of the main things an OS does is allow programmers to use build in routines, but you'd have to have ASM to do that...

You Say that chat does not work I Have created a basic chat that works awesome and fast.
Check TIM83 and TIM84 by Alex10819. We collaborated on it, it's quite a piece of work. b-flat is right though, chat in Basic is terrible to do and only quasi-resembles real chat. Besides, why chat on calculators when you can talk in real life? Ok, nvm, stupid question in a forum for calc geeks Razz .

But really, a link cable is only so long. You have to be practically sitting in someone's lap to link the calculators together anyway, and if you're not too lazy to go out and buy an extended link cable, you might as well just go the whole mile and get your calc hooked up to globalCALCnet (when it's finally finished).
I have a 72 inch one, and chat with my friend 2 rows over during geometry.
where did you get that Question then a gain if i used all My usb extestion cables with my usb adapter I could be close to 12 ft 84's only of course
My Algebra teacher from last year got a TI-Navigator system and it came with a spare =D i also got 3 small ones, and a yellow faceplate =D being friends with the teacher has its benifits Smile
TheStorm wrote:
where did you get that Question then a gain if i used all My usb extestion cables with my usb adapter I could be close to 12 ft 84's only of course

Just keep in mind the max cable length of USB is 5 meters (~16 feet) and that not all connectors are the same (for example mini-A vs. mini-B), so it might not work.
no a problem 12ft about equals 4 meters and i have a mini A to usb receptacle adapter
Dude, seriously, stop for a second and FIND the comma (,) and period (.) keys on your keyboard. Now start USING them. We'll work on your grammar/spelling after you have that part down...

Now back to the cable: If you change from mini-A/B to regular USB and then back to mini-A/B it will not work due to the loss of the ID pin that is present in mini-AB sockets, which is what allows devices (such as the TI-84) to function in both host and client modes. Without this ID pin the calculators won't know who should be the host, and who should be the client. Or at least that is what I am understanding from the Wikipedia article on it, and that is what my experience in trying to do the same thing has proved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mini-USB_signaling
It works just fine, I use the same adapter for msd8x and plug in the computer directlink cable into it.
TheStorm wrote:
It works just fine, I use the same adapter for msd8x and plug in the directlink cable into it.

Both those are mini to regular devices, which don't need the ID pin. The calculator link cable is a mini-to-mini cable which does need the ID pin.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours