Sorry elfprince, i forgot to look at it as a felony. Now that i think of it, i'm really glad i know nothing of computer hacking! That keeps me clear of a couple of felonies throughout my life....lets hope i don't commit any. *knock on wood*
@chipmaster as funny as your intentions were, the outcome was a disaster.
As far as pranks go, what about the classic "Pig 1/Pig 3"?
i have never heard of that before? what is it?
KermMartian wrote:
As far as pranks go, what about the classic "Pig 1/Pig 3"?

poultry [1,17]U[19,25] is slightly less obvious and with a pool and 35 year old ventilation all sorts of fun ensues
clementop wrote:
i have never heard of that before? what is it?

You take two pigs and put the number one on one of the and the number three on the second and then let them loose in the school so they think there is still one pig loose.
People kinda know that one already, so Pigs 1/2/4 might be preferable.
Alright, I have some news but let me please clear my name.

I'm not sure how many times I have to say this to make it clear, but I DID NOT OBTAIN PASSWORDS MYSELF; NOR DID I MESS WITH THE SCHOOL'S NETWORK OR DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL except use the password that this other kid obtained. I only saw that he had used Cain and Abel to get it, and I did not have any part in that. This kid was notorious for hacking grades and the network, and he's in big trouble for that.

My only part was to use this password, view the page source of the page where the movie was streamed with, and upload the movie to it. I didn't even log in or do the transfer. He did.

------------------

Apparently, I have dodged a bullet. The school is only suspending me until Thursday and it will not go on my transcript because I was honest with them during the interrogations. It's unlikely that my college will hear anything about this. They were grateful for my honesty and that's why they greatly held back on a punishment. To be honest, I still think it was a little much for that prank because I wasn't involved with anything other than the posting of the video.

The other kid was not so lucky. After his computers were seized by the cops, the school called and told him that he was suspended until the results of the investigation came back. He also could face criminal charges.

I've also talked to some friends and apparently this is the news of the school. I'm being hailed as a martyr and they think that it's ridiculous that the school is doing this to us. I didn't do this for the popularity or anything (because I don't give a crap about that), but that's going to be an unintended side effect.

I also might have a summer job with the tech department at my school, but we'll see where that goes.

So I guess the moral of the story is to be honest, and stay away from anything hacking related. Even if you aren't directly involved with the hacking, you can still get called an accomplice.
lafferjm wrote:
clementop wrote:
i have never heard of that before. what is it?

You take two pigs and put the number one on one of the and the number three on the second and then let them loose in the school so they think there is still one pig loose.

wow thats so simple and funny... too bad my school is small.

@Chipmaster i'm really glad you're pulling through this! It seems like everything is unraveling in a somewhat positive scale.

(i don't think my statement makes sense so ill edit later when i find out how i want to say it)
Chipmaster wrote:
Alright, I have some news but let me please clear my name.

Clear your name? You "used this password," a password, may I remind you, that was illegally obtained to "upload the movie." I see no reason or basis on which you have any right to clear your name.

Quote:
I'm not sure how many times I have to say this to make it clear, but I DID NOT OBTAIN PASSWORDS MYSELF; NOR DID I MESS WITH THE SCHOOL'S NETWORK OR DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL except use the password that this other kid obtained.

So you didn't do anything illegal, except use an illegally obtained password? That makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I can feel the respect we have for you just flowing back like nothing ever happened. If you say it isn't illegal, it must be so!

Quote:
I only saw that he had used Cain and Abel to get it, and I did not have any part in that.

Wasn't that a giant red flag to not use any passwords he happened to obtain?

Quote:
This kid was notorious for hacking grades and the network, and he's in big trouble for that.

Hang out with criminals, and be treated as such.

Quote:
My only part was to use this password, view the page source of the page where the movie was streamed with, and upload the movie to it. I didn't even log in or do the transfer. He did.

You seem to contradict yourself in this statement. You used the password and uploaded the movie, yet didn't log in or do the transfer. Are you trying to "clear your name?"

------------------

Quote:
Apparently, I have dodged a bullet. The school is only suspending me until Thursday and it will not go on my transcript because I was honest with them during the interrogations.

I hardly think a multi-day suspension is dodging a bullet.

Quote:
It's unlikely that my college will hear anything about this.

Which is a shame, they deserve to know about your actions.

Quote:
They were grateful for my honesty and that's why they greatly held back on a punishment.

Oops! I was caught. Maybe if I be really honest they'll be nice to me! I didn't think that doing or witnessing this action would actually get me in trouble!

Quote:
To be honest, I still think it was a little much for that prank because I wasn't involved with anything other than the posting of the video.

You knew the password was obtained through illicit means, you knew you were not authorized to be on that system, and you knew that you were not allowed to change the video... yet you somehow think that the response was "a little too much?" All I have to say is... wow. Just wow.

Quote:
The other kid was not so lucky. After his computers were seized by the cops, the school called and told him that he was suspended until the results of the investigation came back. He also could face criminal charges.

Good, he deserves it, as do you.

Quote:
I've also talked to some friends and apparently this is the news of the school. I'm being hailed as a martyr and they think that it's ridiculous that the school is doing this to us.

No, that is ridiculous is that anyone is actually viewing your little "prank" (as you're so keen to term it) as such. You should be punished, not hailed as a hero.

Quote:
I didn't do this for the popularity or anything (because I don't give a crap about that), but that's going to be an unintended side effect.

Popular as what... an idiot?

Quote:
I also might have a summer job with the tech department at my school, but we'll see where that goes.

If they offer one, you should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking of considering accepting it. Your actions should not be rewarded or encouraged in any way. Now it will just provide impetus for others to copy what you did. Congratulations for promoting cracking, I'm sure your parents are proud.

Quote:
So I guess the moral of the story is to be honest, and stay away from anything hacking related. Even if you aren't directly involved with the hacking, you can still get called an accomplice.

And charged as an accomplice.
Okkk.... Can you shut the fuck up? Mad

Your getting really annoying with the way you post negative comments in almost every thread you see

@chip, I'm glad that it turned out better than you thought =D

Now we all know how much schools will overreact to computer pranks Laughing
Harq wrote:
Now we all know how much schools will overreact to computer pranks

I hardly think they overreacted, especially since they believed a restricted system was compromised.
Harq wrote:
Okkk.... Can you shut the <font color=red>censored</font> up? Mad

Your getting really annoying with the way you post negative comments in almost every thread you see

I'm going to side with ally on this one - his post, while a tad on the harsh site, was justified and true..... (although he is annoying Razz )
Kllrnohj wrote:
Harq wrote:
Okkk.... Can you shut the <font color=red>censored</font> up? Mad

I'm going to side with ally on this one - his post, while a tad on the harsh site, was justified and true.....

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new
Yeah... Ignore Nikky, the rest of us still like you Razz

I'm glad you didn't get in too much trouble. And the fact that they would offer you a job is rather funny Razz
The only reason I made that statement was to make it clear that I did not obtain the password. I realize the moral and legal violations that happened by my use of it. I'm not trying to exculpate them. I made a mistake, but I stand by my opinion that it's a bit of an overreaction by the school and other parties involved.

Last year at my school the seniors dumped a huge pile of manure in the front lobby and taped the doors shut. Not a single person was suspended for this, and they didn't even bother to interrogate people to find the guilty party or parties. My point that people overreact to computer crime is definitely shown here. Sure, I was guilty of some immoral and illegal activity (as Nikky so kindly and repeatedly pointed out), but come on, the prank didn't really hurt anyone.

Thanks for the words of support from those who gave it, and to the others that continue to claim that I am guilty and deserving of punishment: "Ok, I get it. I sort of realized I was in the wrong when there were 2 cops, the administration of my school, a computer crime expert and two college computer science professors questioning me. But, thanks for clearing up my confusion. Here all this time I thought that this sort of thing was cool."
hey no problem!
hopefully you wont repeat that kind of activity again Razz
btw what monty python scene was it? You better have included A. the trojan bunny, B. the killer rabbit, C. the french castle, D. the knights of camelot
The Indian/African swallow scene was good too. Or you could have shown the opening credits.
You mean European/african.
My bad, I haven't seen it in a while.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours