Did you think the Elite manual was useful?
Yes
 63%  [ 7 ]
Sorta
 27%  [ 3 ]
No
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

I found the Basic Elite manual to be really useful. it helped me in my new program i just made today. thanx people.
I would love to join the elite..but i know im not qualified enough as a programmer since im new on this site. maybe when i become...better Surprised
I also found it useful when I started programming (It was the first actual thing I read on TI-Basic programming Razz )

Speaking of which... did my 3d entry qualify me for 1337 membership yet?
you have to talk to Kerm about the BE stuff. I am glad though that the stuff that was worked hard on was usefully to people (btw, do we need to update that bugger at all Kerm or not?).
Whats Basic Elite? I learned to program in Basic on my own...
The BASIC Elite is a group founded by Kerm and jpez. It is a group designed to help people realize the potential of BASIC programming by teaching people proper optimizations and the like for their programs. Basically, we introduce a few taboos to programming, and those help with speed/size. For example, we do not use lbl/goto at all. The goal is to bring people into a high knowledge of BASIC, and hope they will help out others.

Look at the BASIC Elite forum for more info.
Harq, you've been a full 1337 for ages...
oh...so you use For(, While, Repeat instead of lbl and goto. I thought that was like...common knowledge...it was one of the first things I realized...to slow...gotta look through the whole program from beginning to find lbl's.
Well, it's a bit more nuanced than that, but that's the basic idea
yeah...i figured that...and other things like...not using lower case letters, not using stupid things like

If X=3
Then
6->X
Else
0 ->X
End

when it could be

(X=3)6 -> X

the one thing that gets me...is when ppl put all commands on one line...you do that when its about to be uploaded to TICalc.org or something...not while it's still being programmed...duh! sry...but that stuff erks me...alot...

anyways...you see my "Friend of GangstaNerd" SIGGY!
First, your code line could still be optimized to

6(X=3->X

And also, putting all the command lines in the same line decreases program speed (tested and IIRC, I put it in here). And putting all in the same line requires ending quotes to be added or it will give out some weird error/your program will simply do nothing.
Fallen Ghost wrote:
First, your code line could still be optimized to

6(X=3->X

And also, putting all the command lines in the same line decreases program speed (tested and IIRC, I put it in here). And putting all in the same line requires ending quotes to be added or it will give out some weird error/your program will simply do nothing.

ooo....i'm in pain... alright... you just upped me on optimizing I forgot all about that last ")" Silly me... I don't understand what you mean by ending quotes...i've never had to do that before...you mind giving me an example.
I think what he means is end quotations...

like "ABCDE"->Str1
There's a opening quotation, then an end quotation after the 'E.' That is not neccasary, since the '->' automatclly closes parentheses, quotations, list & matrix brackets.

Cool

EDIT: If you have a string stored in Ans

Code:

If X=G
"ABCDE
"VBDGS
Disp Ans

The end quotation is not nessacary as well.
rivereye wrote:
The BASIC Elite is a group founded by Kerm and jpez. It is a group designed to help people realize the potential of BASIC programming by teaching people proper optimizations and the like for their programs. Basically, we introduce a few taboos to programming, and those help with speed/size. For example, we do not use lbl/goto at all. The goal is to bring people into a high knowledge of BASIC, and hope they will help out others.

No lbl/goto...at all? Can't it be useful at times? Don't you have to use it for menus? Or do you not use the TI-OS's menus at all?
bfr wrote:
rivereye wrote:

No lbl/goto...at all? Can't it be useful at times? Don't you have to use it for menus? Or do you not use the TI-OS's menus at all?

Instead, you can use while loops:

Code:

:DCS
1->X
While X=1
code
If G
3->X
2->X
End
While X=2
code
If L1(1=7
1->X
End

I got this idea from tifreak8x.

=D

EDIT:
Even though I'm not in the Basic Elite, I use the TI-OS menu's only has a rudimentary menu. As I progress in the program delolpement I elimenate the TI-OS menu. I use the graphscreen whenever possible to keep the program professional looking, when you switch between graph and home screen, the program looses its 'wow' factor - At least to me. Razz
I occasionally use labels when I need to be able to exit a program from more than one place in a program. It jumps to the quit label and causes no mem leaks because it just exits, and the jump also only happens once, so not much speed loss.
The thing with labels, is that it restarts the program but doesn't execute any code until it finds the defined label. Wouldn't it just be better to use 'Stop'?

Also, its quicker to just use the While loops, cuase after you setup the While Loop structure, all you have todo is assign the While Loop Var a new value, and off you go, so instead of pressing all those buttons to get to 'Goto' then type the two letters, you just type the numerical value of the destined loop, the Sto-> button then the variable, and your off.

Lbl/Goto's are technically the same as While. Where ever you can use a Label you can use a While... Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Harq, you've been a full 1337 for ages...

Whaaa...? I thought you said I was apprentice, accidentally put me as full, I told you, you put me back to apprentice Shock

I'm lost...

*sob* I lost posting 1337dom *sob*
Well I meant jump to the place where it clears the screen, etc. before exiting.
Well that could be done with main-subprograms:

Code:
prgmMAIN
:If Z=/=/pi//e/[sup]-1[/sup]
:Then
:/pi//e/[sup]-1[/sup]->Z
:prgmMAIN

;Code for screen clearing

:Return
:End
:Delvar Z
;Code for the game, using returns when you wish to quit

It is then possible to use no gotos, but it's not very fun to make and it will maybe be bigger (or smaller, depending).
what does it take to become a basic elite? Like...to become a part of the group...then ranks...etc..

I can tell i'm no where near good enough to even join...but hey..maybe some day. I got much to learn, but i'm ok for a self taught basic programmer.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours