Brilliant deduction Kerm Very Happy
I was just finally able to join this forum Mad my email was blocking the password email
yes I see your point but it wouldn't be just a shell it would have the other features of LIFOS
Earlier, I had a tasty idea. Rather than make anything as an app as suggested, make a port of emu8x for LIFOS. In theory, I think anyone could emulate a 73, since TI's SDK comes with a ROM image for the 73, so it would just be a matter of making some changes to that. Oh.. just had a look at emu8x.. it doesn't support the 73. I'll have to look at the code, though, see what it takes to intercept TI-OS calls to ROM page 0. If I can implement that, TI-OS emulation should be doable.
Very nice, that'd be handy...
Sounds like a super idea! But why bother intercept page-0 calls? Just make a menu option to launch the TI-OS for backwards compatibility.
Launching TI-OS requires me to erase ROM page 0 every time I launch it, since there is no control over ROM paging in the range of 0 to $3FFF, and at the very least it would modification of a TI-OS image (since it uses some hard-coded paging values). I was also just looking about a bit, and it seems the source to emu8x isn't available anywhere. TI-OS emulation will be put on hold for a bit, but I just posted on the DS forum asking about good ways to go about this.
Fair enough. I'd strongly caution you against trying to modify the TI-OS though; TI tends to look very unkindly upon such actions.
emu8x might not support 73's but it does support 83+'s so it is still feasable even if TI looks down apon it. With emu8x would you be able to run basic programs and mayby even make them Question

EDIT: My bad Sad it doesn't suport 83+'s
TheStorm wrote:
emu8x might not support 73's but it does support 83+'s so it is still feasable even if TI looks down apon it. With emu8x would you be able to run basic programs and mayby even make them Question

Emu8x relies on having the normal TI rom calls, and it DOES NOT modify the TI-OS, something TI will shut you down in an instant for.
Actually, emu8x only supports the plain 83, not 83+, and I doubt many people can get 83 ROMS. However, I got a hold of the emu8x source, so I'll look at that.
LIFOS 0.00.0 is here!
(That's major and minor version 0, build 0)
Meaning it boots and sits there.. Looks like I need to fix putC, putSprite, and bufCopy before the "Hello, world!" message will display correctly, but it boots , which is a good start.
Razz Wow! Now we can open up a blank page!

But it sounds like you have startup initialization working, which is a good start.
The Tari wrote:
LIFOS 0.00.0 is here!
(That's major and minor version 0, build 0)
Meaning it boots and sits there.. Looks like I need to fix putC, putSprite, and bufCopy before the "Hello, world!" message will display correctly, but it boots , which is a good start.

congrats dude, awesome work.
Sweet deal, Tari. On to the actual content! Very Happy
Sweet just in time for me to learn ASM maybe then I can help with it a bit more. Very Happy
Heh, yeah. Code away!
..nah, I'll wait until summer to start doing serious coding.

But anyway, how's this for a blurb?
Quote:

An alternate operating system for the TI-83+ line of graphing calculators, LIFOS is designed to be highly extensible with a minimum of effort for developers. It provides unique memory allocation abilities not present in the official TI-OS and a number of internal routines designed to make programming for the environment much easier for the developer, allowing program size to shrink due to the presence of embedded libraries. In addition to the embedded libraries, any program may specify library dependencies, which are processed externally and may be accessed through the system-wide library utilities. Memory allocation allows user-level code to reserve any amount of local memory for whatever it may need; while the official OS provides only a couple kilobytes for general data use, LIFOS allows up to 30 kilobytes of allocated general-use memory for any one process.

EDIT: added wiki at sourceforge, relocating from wikidot.com
Sounds perfect. Well-phrased. Where are you going to go from here, development-wise?
Basically, fixing text and display functionality (might just be a matter of being sure I set the LCD to X auto-increment mode), maybe rewriting bufCopy (using Y auto-increment, anyone?). Then I need variable handling, linking (ugh, this'll take a while), preferably with TI's protocol, and then to start adding functionality that people suggest.
Around this point is probably version 0.50.
Then to add support for variable storage in Flash, and debug lots. Write an 'official' MUI and start gathering developer support for the project. Begin the real work of functionality which can replace TI-OS, which mostly involves implementing a floating-point library.

Release 1.0

Other stuff...
Admittedly, the MUI isn't part of the kernel, but I'll probably synchronize the release of LIFOS 1.0 and [insert MUI name here] 1.0.
suggestion modify TI-OS token scheme so that you can run basic programs but you could also add or change tokens like IS( to something better. I don't know if this is even possible but it would be cool to have LIFOS-Basic.
Sounds ambitious. Please, PLEASE discard the TI-OS BASIC; it's retardedly slow and not intended for what we use it for. Perhaps come up with an interpreted language that uses simpler "opcodes" and is aimed primarily at gaming (ints, anyone?) and second at math instead of the reversed paradigm TI uses.
What I meant was to use a similar system with modifications to make it better for gaming but a whole new system would work but you would have to make some sort of on calc programing.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours