I'm happy to announce the results of Contest #3! B-Flat earned 3rd place with COTOR, Fallen Ghost came in at 2nd place with Draw3D, and Harq moved up to 1st place with Maze v1.0. Harq has been promoted to a full member of the BASIC Elite, and all earned signature bars. The two of you with finished projects (I think bflat said he needed more time?) please submit your entries to the archives. Grading etc:

Maze 1.0
By Harq (David Dohan)

Graphics: 7
The author successfully followed the genre defined for this content through a fast, versatile pseudo-3D engine. My only real complaint is that the far-distance vanishing lines didn't quite line up with the closer walls, but that's a matter of changing 4 digits in the rendering subprogram. I particularly liked the way the main menu was implemented.

Interface: 8
Controls were a cinch, although I originally tried [2nd] instead of [ENTER] at the main menu. I recognized the door when I saw it, and I enjoyed watching the maze generating. An instaquit key during maze generation would be nice, and an explanation of what the maze generator is asking (attempts? wtf?) would have helped.

Execution: 8.5
Exemplary implementation of the idea, from the fast and bug-free maze generator to the well-organized readme to the relatively accurate rendering used.

Speed/size: 9
Superb optimizations; the rendering engine itself is less than 1KB and uses no pic variables whatsoever. I like how module this turned out, and how a variety of variable types could be used for optimal size and speed given a specific application.

Overall: 32.5/40
Penalty: -1 for late entry: 31.5/40

Draw3D

By Fallen Ghost (Jean-Philippe Caron)

Graphics: 8
The graphics for this project were quite good, and the speed of calculations for rendering and rotations seemed to be well-optimized. I was disappointed that it only does solid dark shading, and didn't shade in white at all. Other than that, it seemed good.

Interface: 6
The controls, although not obvious to a newbie, were easy to memorize and somewhat intuitive, but I would have preferred using onscreen menus, maybe from a bar that could pop up from the bottom of the screen.

Execution: 7
You took a fairly difficult concept and made it into an impressive program, even with limited time. This 3D editor uses quite the innovative method to store points, lines, and polygons. If it were my own program, I would have added dynamic shading based on a moveable light source.

Speed/size: 9
At 5K of memory and decent speed, you did a superb job. Optimization was good as well.

Overall: 30/40
+1 bonus for making it a single program [31/40]

COTOR
By b-flat

Graphics: 5
Graphics were fast and quite accurate, except for large open spaces. The use of lines made it avoid pic variables, at the expense of some detail.

Interface: 9
Controls were easy to figure out, once I deduced which program I was supposed to run.

Execution: 6
I was impressed with the speed and accuracy of your engine; I could see it being quite useful in an FPS or a 3D RPG. I think this shows a lot of potential, although it could have been slightly more polished. The readme was decent.

Speed/size: 8
Small footprint, fast speed. What more is there to say?

Overall: 28/40
Yay! Congrats Harq!
o.O wow, I won Exclamation

I am going to try out the other entries now, they look great! (>.< today is the only day I left my calculator at school...) Surprised
How will you try them?
congrats all!
calc84maniac wrote:
How will you try them?

I will have to tomorrow because I have troubl getting emulators to work >.>
I mean since there's no links...
Ah, yeah I thought the names were hyperlinked (just noticed they weren't)

Oh yeah, Kerm, besides the wall alignment graphics is there anything else I should change?
Congrats' to all harq (and all other participants for that matter), can't wait to try them out.
Congrats indeed. C'mon and submit those entries to the archives; I want these people to be able to give them a try. Smile
Hmm... I'd like to see some screenies *hint*.
w00t, I'm surprised I did as well as I did given that as I have said many times, the program is not complete Rolling Eyes Now I get a thingie for my signature Very Happy

Yes, I reconized the enourmous problem with open spaces and was trying to fix it, but only got partway done. The program works fine in maze like areas where you have walls everywhere. I intend to make this like the Star Wars game for the computer eventually.

@Kerm: Just curious, how did you like the exploration and varying graphics features? The variability options make it slightly slower overall, so I could make it a little faster removing them...

Also, any recommendations for fixing the bug with open areas? The obvious cheap fix is to simply put lots of "tables" or "chairs" or items or people everywhere, but I would rather not.

Also, how do you like the dialogue system (assuming you managed to figure out how to use it)? I tried to make it like the actual game with the blinking affect (and you can press keys).

Congradulations to Harq and Fallen Ghost!

Since I sent my entry in, I have added the ability to see items and doors to the left of you, and fixed another bug with the doors. I also added the ability to see people to the right of you. I still don't know what to do about items looking the same if you are looking directly at them, no matter which direction you face - the only solution I can think of would over double the program size and slow the program down.
I w ill only submit the actual maze game and if someone wants me to I can submit the basic engines (string, matrix, and list, but string is the most optimized since I worked on it the most.).
Draw3D submitted and available for download:
http://www.cemetech.net/programs/archives.php?mode=file&path=/83/basic/graphics/Draw3D.zip

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours