Hello there

I got a TI-84 SE and i found this Shell and i downloaded the latest beta from homepage . the DoorsCS looks great..

But how do i make shortcuts on my desktop to apps on my calc?

Thank you
I'm pretty sure that that isn't a feature.

Possible DCS6.x.x feature, though, Kerm? That sounds pretty cool.
Hmm?

So i cant run any programs on this shell yet?

i only got one TI OS icon on the desktop .. and if i klick it.. nothing happends.. Smile
Oh, programs, yes. You can't have icons for applications, though.

Shortcuts for all of your programs should be made as soon as you open DCS. Isn't it working right for you?
oh i meant running programs Smile

I got no shortcuts to my programs when i started
That's really odd. DCS has always automatically made shortcuts for every program for me. What version of DCS are you running? (Open the menu, then hit 'About') It will be in the bottom-right of the screen.
Odd indeed

it says 5.8b3
Tho the zip file i downloaded was from this homepage it was the latest..

namned 5.9 beta 1
All that means is that you don't actually have programs on your calculator. Smile
i have alot of those preinstalled programs left on my calc

and i have donwload some apps and games into it

isnt that considered programs?
App =/= Programs

An App is stored in Flash memory, can only be multiples of 16384 bytes, and is accessible from the [Apps] menu. All Apps can be run without a shell such as DCS.

A Program is stored in Archive (Flash) or RAM Memory, and can only be up to 8192 bytes. BASIC programs can be run by the OS or shells, while most assembly programs need a shell such as DCS. Programs are generally smaller, and many times as many programs as apps have been written.
Thanks .. that info helped out alot.

I am new to these ti 8x calculators

I try to download a program now and see if it pops up in doorscs
Dawnie wrote:
Thanks .. that info helped out alot.

I am new to these ti 8x calculators

I try to download a program now and see if it pops up in doorscs
Excellent, let me know if it works. There's no reason why it shouldn't...
Works like a charm Smile

Thanks for help..

Can i make an app into an program?
You cannot. Perhaps I'll consider an app shortcut feature or converter for future versions.
Um, I think there is no possible way to make a app-to-program converter. Actually, one reason TI made up that 8 KB limit was so you couldn't do that.
KermMartian wrote:
A Program is stored in Archive (Flash) or RAM Memory, and can only be up to 8192 bytes.

Where did you get that? Doom is 15k.
He's saying that the TI-OS doesn't allow asm programs greater than 8 kb to be run, and everything above the 8 kb mark in a shell program must be data, and not executable code.
why do they have diffrent kinds of "programs" anyway? why cant they just have apps only or something?

just ciourious Smile
Apps are kind of a pain, and unless the program is some multiple of 16k big, it doesn't make sense. Remember that not all the 8x calculators have the massive archive space of the 84+SE. For example, if a program only needs 4k of storage space, why make it an app, therefore requiring it to take up 16k of space? Thats 12k of memory that is being reserved but not used.

Then there is also the issue of helping the programmer. Different types (ION programs, Mirage programs, and DCS programs, to name a few) offer various advantages. For example, ION includes various 'functions' to make programming games in assembly easier, which also makes them smaller and helps to keep programmers from having to continuously 're-invent the wheel', as they say. DCS and Mirage both build on that principal, and add even more functions for programmers to call. That is why they are used. Make sense?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours