for some reason I get "Read Only File System" errors when I try to burn a CD under Ubuntu---same thing when I try to do anything on my windows partition from Linux. this happens even after I use sudo or gksudo to run the commands.

any ideas?
Well, I'm guessing your windows partition is NTFS - that explains the read only issue

As for the CD, how are you trying to burn it? You should just be able to use Gnome's built in CD-Burner just fine... (Places->CD/DVD Creator) - you can't just drag/drop files onto the CD like you do in windows, that doesn't work
its FAT (got it to work under sudo, still haven't gotten it to work properly for me even though I put myself under the owner group), and I to burn the disk I use Ubuntu's built in disk burner....that still doesn't work.
post your /etc/fstab file here, please Smile

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda2       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hda1       /media/windows  vfat    auto,gid=46,umask=0002        0       0
/dev/hdb1       /media/bigdrive vfat    auto,gid=46,umask=0002        0       0

(i be's member of group 46)
I'm not sure what group 46 is off the top of my head, but try adding the option 'rw' to the windows drive (along with the 'user' option)

for the cd-burning try adding the option gid=plugdev (and make sure your user is a member of the plugdev group)
46 is plugdev :p

[edit]

and then sudo umount -a && sudo mount -a correct?
no, not correct, not at all. that is very, very bad

JUST umount and mount the windows drive and cd-rw drive

(oh, and after you've added your user to the plugdev group, you must log out and log back in)
elfprince13's fstab wrote:

Code:

/dev/hda1       /media/windows  vfat    auto,gid=46,umask=0002        0       0
/dev/hdb1       /media/bigdrive vfat    auto,gid=46,umask=0002        0       0

Those umasks would explain why you can't write to your windows partition. Change them to 'umask=777' to allow all users to read and write to it. (as it is, users not in the root group may only read from it, and root can't do anything to it)
Ive been in plugdev for ages.....

and stupid Ubuntu tutorials Neutral

they said the umount/mount combo what reload your fstab file.....they also said 0002 was owner read and write, everyone else read....

Quote:

If you reboot now, the disk will be writable to the selected users when they logon.

If you want the changes to take effect immediately without rebooting, execute these commands:
Code:
bash:~$ sudo umount -a && sudo mount -a
(Ignore errors about "/" and others not being unmounted, it doesn't matter)
You'll have to logout from all your user sessions for the new group to be acknowledged (usually a logout from your graphical session and login back again will do it).

and

Quote:
Code:
/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 vfat auto,gid=46,umask=0002 0 0
Notice the use of the group's GID from before, and the umask to allow write access just to owner (root) and group (plugdev), and read access to everyone.
You could also use an umask=0007 to block all access for users not on the group.
Dunno, it seems fstab's umask is a bit different from what chmod uses. I think you'll want umask=007
Tari's fstab wrote:

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/sda2 /media/Audio ntfs-3g umask=007,gid=46 0 1
/dev/sda1 /windows ntfs-3g umask=007,gid=46 0 1

This works fine for me.
I thought I remembered umask for fstab being the inverse of the chmod one....Ill test it out though.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours