http://bittyrant.cs.washington.edu/

Sounds interesting. Supposedly improves speed by an average of 70% by only uploading to those who are uploading to you. So it more strictly enforces the bittorrent fairness policy that was original envisioned (where those who upload more download faster)
sweet, I need that Very Happy
My initial reaction:
Q: Won’t BitTyrant hurt overall BitTorrent performance if everyone uses it?
Hehe, downloading it now Wink

Its nice that they started with Azureus, which is a totally sweet client already

EDIT:

KermMartian wrote:
My initial reaction:

Someone didn't go to the website Razz

BitTyrant FAQ wrote:

This is a subtle question and is treated most thoroughly in the paper. The short answer is: maybe. A big difference between BitTyrant and existing BitTorrent clients is that BitTyrant can detect when additional upload contribution is unlikely to improve performance. If a client were truly selfish, it might opt to withhold excess capacity, reducing performance for other users that would have received it. However, our current BitTyrant implementation always contributes excess capacity, even when it might not improve performance. Our goal is to improve performance, not minimize upload contribution.
Yay UW!
Kllrnohj wrote:
Hehe, downloading it now Wink

Its nice that they started with Azureus, which is a totally sweet client already

EDIT:

KermMartian wrote:
My initial reaction:

Someone didn't go to the website Razz

BitTyrant FAQ wrote:
Q: Won’t BitTyrant hurt overall BitTorrent performance if everyone uses it?[...]
Interesting how copy-pasted my quote looks. Very Happy
Increase my download speeds by up to 70%? Seems quite impossible. I usually get 5.0kp/s on azureus. I don't think I've ever held a download speed from anything over 5.9kp/s.
foamy3 wrote:
Increase my download speeds by up to 70%? Seems quite impossible. I usually get 5.0kp/s on azureus. I don't think I've ever held a download speed from anything over 5.9kp/s.

uh... yeah, foamy, this is bittorrent download speeds, and obviously it won't increase your speed beyond its theoretical limit (and since 56k is the max theoretical speed you can get, you are capped at 7KB/s regardless of what you use to download)

For those of us with real internet connections, bittorrent speeds rarely come close to maxing out the theoretical speed (for example, when downloading gentoo from bittorrent, I think I average somewhere in the 70-80KB/s range, even though my line's max is 300KB/s - which I can hit just fine when downloading from a dedicated server)
bah, I typically get 90kbps or more on Limewire...I only use torrents for downloading .iso's cause sites like torrentspy make searching torrents easy, whereas limewire you never know what youll find.
sounds interesting. I hope that it doesn't block out low download users (like people who just started downloading).
Hooray, gone are the days where half of my 40 kB/s is taken up with uploading!
It's funny how this both undermines the principles of the torrent network, and yet forces people to more strongly abide by them. At first I looked at this as a very negative thing, that would force people to upload more than they can or are willing to when I believe people should upload as much as they want (although they should upload as much as possible); however, after thinking about it for a bit, I've come to the conclusion that all this will do, is give people incentive to share more, but not actually force them. I can live fine with that, and it's giving me faster download speeds, too; well that's just sweet.

Oh, and I like the dinosaur on the loading screen! Very Happy
I was thinking the same thing as Chipmaster, although I didn't get to the part about deciding it's overall for the better yet,.
I'm not 100% there yet either, but I've decided that the added download speed is worth more to me than my principles in this subject and I can rationalize my utilization of it enough to live with myself.

Edit: My mind is at ease: http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/piatek/papers/BitTyrant.pdf
hahahhaha, true that homey, on a side note, after testing this, im switching away from limewire. I used to get 60-70kbps on torrnets now Im getting 115+
elfprince13 wrote:
bah, I typically get 90kbps or more on Limewire...I only use torrents for downloading .iso's cause sites like torrentspy make searching torrents easy, whereas limewire you never know what youll find.

...and of course, those are all publicly released, legal things you are downloading, right? Wink

@Chip: Bittorrent was built with a reward system in mind. The more you upload, the faster you download. This is like that, but in reverse. You only upload to the people you are downloading from, so it rewards people who upload more - although I think it did say something about using excess bandwidth for others...

@The Tari: did you ever think of just setting a global upload cap? Rolling Eyes
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

...and of course, those are all publicly released, legal things you are downloading, right? Wink

yes yes of course, Ubuntu install cds of different sorts, Creative Commons music, im a good boy Evil or Very Mad
I'm staying away from it.

Emule has a system like this, and it basically slows everything down in the name of fair sharing. It takes absolutely forever to start downloads, since you're stuck in a vicious "chicken and egg" circle of "I can't upload anything to download" and "I can't download anything to upload".

As it stands, Bittorrent is how the Edonkey protocol used to be before ratio systems were added to the clients; Fast. After Edonkey started adding anti-leech systems to the clients, the speed went into the toilet, and the queues started skyrocketing.

I suspect that if this catches on, you can kiss 300kb's downloads goodbye
Well, thats always an uncertainty, but the client is *supposed* to use any excess bandwidth that is left over, so that hopefully shouldn't be a problem
Kllrnohj wrote:

@The Tari: did you ever think of just setting a global upload cap? Rolling Eyes

I did. It didn't work very well. The client seemed to ignore the cap, uploading at 20 kB/s+ with the cap at 11..

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours