Get Istanbul Desktop Session Recorder and give us a screencast!
I could also just use xvidcap, which I already have installed Razz

...and I did, here's the video. Its a full-res video (so its 2560x1024), but low bitrate, so its not a real good picture (but the upside is that its much smaller this way)

The xvidcap program did use CPU speed, so its not as smooth as if I wasn't recording (and I only recorded it at 10fps), but you should be able to see the transparency just fine, and that it is still overall pretty smooth

Here it is, an 11.9 MB DivX file (if it isn't playing on your computer, change the extension from .mpeg to .avi) http://www.kllrnohj.com/movies/test-0000.mpeg
Yea, that crashed totem when I tried to run it before changing to .avi. Also, after I changed it and played it it came back with the screen divided into four distinct chunks, and the monitors were going every other chunk for a very nauseating effect. I'm not sure if this was a problem with your recorder (maybe you should have tried Istanbul! Razz) or if this was a problem with totem.

Anyways, what happened to you trying to go crazy and running things simultaneously? All I saw was Quake 4. What about AA or mplayer or glxgears. Even my puny computer could handle a Beryl and a windowed Quake 4.
i think the problem was totem - which totally sucks. Use MPlayer or Xine instead. It played fine for me (without changing the extension) in MPlayer

Anywho, like I said, the mouse is grabbed during anything but loading, so I can't run two games at once. I could have a video playing on the second monitor (w/ glxgears), I'll try that tonight
Seems like all it would take would be a simple script.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
Program 1; Sleep 100; Program 2

No? Although, it might be tough to get through the selection screens of both. Hmmph. Well I guess a video would suffice.
yes, because having one game just showing the main menu is oh so very impressive Razz
Hey, don't most games have intro movies!
only once you start the single player compaign Razz
Alright, this isn't getting anywhere. Just max out your computer as best you can. To be honest, I'd like to see you take that thing to it's knees, although the amount of stuff that would be required to do that...
Isn't folding@home uber-resource-intensive?

I've never used it before; that's just what I heard.
it might be, but it is designed to be used when your comp is doing nothing else (or if you have dual core, when you only the one core, you can run folding@home on the other core.
It defaults to the lowest priority so it only takes away from the system idle process which is waste anyways.
Yup, F@H doesn't have any noticeable effect on system load. My CPU load is always at 100%, and folding usually uses about 400 MB of RAM, but I never see any problems with performance, even when gaming.
You could manually make it a higher priority and greatly load your cpu, but what's the fun in that? Although it would test Kllrnohj's computer, we wouldn't be able to see directly what it can take. It's more fun to see how many games mixed with 3d rendering it can take.
rivereye wrote:
(or if you have dual core, when you only the one core, you can run folding@home on the other core.

Even better, have 2 F@H's going, one for each core Wink (which is what F@H defaults to on Gentoo at least)
Stupid question here on Beryll, can I run it on a Athlon 1200, 768 MB Memory, and 2 GeForce MX 4000s?
Probably - but there's really only one way to find out Smile

Don't worry, its not going to screw up your computer if it doesn't work. By default it won't even auto-start
I guess, but first on the list is getting Ubutnu to connect to my wif network (why is it my WMP54G V4 won't use WPA to connect in Edgy Eft?)
I kind of remember reading when I was trying to get my WiFi working that WPA is less likely to work than WEP.

The Ubuntu Wiki should help you, though Razz
ummm yeah, WiFi support is still kinda sketchy with linux, are you using ndiswrapper or bw43xx?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours