They don't repeal, but rather they are repealed by a magnetic field - and its all materials Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
@Chip: Ah, we were talking about different things and didn't know it. I thought you meant thinking about why humans are here in the sense of what is our purpose, not in terms of multi-dimensions and time. Thinking about our purpose in life is what I meant was a waste of time, not about abstractions in the universe and such. My bad Smile
Ah, ok cool. We are on the same wavelength here. I agree that it's a waste of time to consider our purpose. Who/what are we to demand that we should be worthy of a purpose. We are simply a summation of particles. We have evolved to the point where these particles are advantageous to our purposes, but certainly this does not give us some divine purpose. We just happened to evolve egos to, and I for one, hope that future evolution is towards more humility.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Although I must pose the question, what if there is no time at all? Time is, after all, a human invention. Why should time travel be possible at all? Why should there be multiple universes? Heat flows from warm to cold, never the reverse. Heat also flows at a constant rate depending on the materials involved, and the temperature deltas. Likewise, why should time be able to 'flow' in the reverse, or 'flow' at different speeds given the same medium (the universe)?

That's an interesting point, and I do think there's some merit to that argument. Here's where my opinions differ:

You could also say that spatial dimensions don't exist and that we have created them to explain a phenomenon. You'd be right in saying that. That doesn't do away with the fact that we can obtain useful information by measuring things (another construct) against standard units. Time is similar. Although it is a construct in itself, it is useful to measure the spot in space-time where things happen.

My opinion on time flow is that it can be defined in concrete terms. Time moves in the direction entropy increases. I guess this would also explain why we can't be at different times at once. Just as we can't be at different spatial places at once, it follows that we can't be in multiple times at once. In fact, I believe that I've come to a both intellectually satisfying and live-able conclusion.

To those who claim that we are evolving towards extra-dimensional sight, I have one question: Why?

The cause of evolution is random changes that help the survivability until reproduction or increase the chance of reproduction or an organism. How would this improve my chances of getting laid? Unless you are going to claim that we are evolving foresight and are avoiding death because of it, I think this is just our minds playing tricks on us.
OOOOOkkkkk... I will come back and read this eventually, but that is not today... Razz
well, I think evolution happens because the brain/nucleus of a organism acknoledges that a change need be made, and furthur copies, might get this change, so, our brain, which we dont even begin to understand, may sub-consciously want to learn/know/become/other/ something, and further humans down the line may begin to experience this, mabye on day we will evolve to the point we do not need physical entities. We could be an arrangement of pure energy that was omiscient. you never know.
Too lazy to read the entire thread, but the story is clearly made up. It's from The Sun.
And what sort of energy would that be? You can't just have a blob of free-floating energy, as energy is just something that can cause change, not an actual "thing" per se. So first you'd have to figure out what type of energy that would be, and then there is the issue of how is the energy going to be constrained. It'd really suck if something hit you and just swiped half of your energy - and since energy can't be created or destroyed, that brings up the issue of procreation and the obtaining of such amounts of energy

then there's the issue of what internal energy will your blob of energy use to think, to hold the 'pure' energy that makes you up together, etc...

and how will such energy take any sort of meaningful internal construction so that you can think, and be expected to last for any duration of time? A simple gust of wind is enough to blow heat energy around, and a being made of electrical energy will be riped to shreds by a simple bar magnet (or the earth)

I guess a gravitational field could be possible, but it would have to be strong enough to hold energy in place (think black-hole strong), and that would wreak chaos on anything physical you'd go near - and lets not forget that any contact with a physical object is completely off-limits, as your energy construction would be messed up, and you'd lose energy - meaning, of course, 'you' would be dead, as your internal structure would be disrupted

and thats assuming that it is indeed the brain's subconscious that determines evolution - which goes against the currently accepted idea of evolution and brings up the issue of how did single-cell organisms evolve, as they have no brain to begin with?
I dunno. As I am only 13. Random thought. btw i said brain/NUCLEUS
Then I suggest you do some reading, as single-celled organisms (for example, bacteria) have no nucleus, either. Not that it matters, anyway, as the nucleus doesn't actually do any "thinking", it is in charge of reproducing and creating genes from DNA/RNA

Quote:
The main function of the cell nucleus is to control gene expression and mediate the replication of DNA during the cell cycle. The nucleus provides a site for genetic transcription that is segregated from the location of translation in the cytoplasm, allowing levels of gene regulation that are not available to prokaryotes.

You might also want to read up on current evolution theories before attempting to create your own Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life#Current_models
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_celled_organisms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_nucleus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteria
If people don't mind, I'd prefer this topic stay away from debating the causes of evolution (as they are pretty much as proven as most other scientific theories), and more towards the existentialism and reality debates we had going.

To get us back on this topic, let me pose a question and let's see where it takes us. I have my own opinions on the matter, but I'll wait to see what you guys have to say before I interject:

What are your beliefs on the creation of the universe (or continued existence you believe it has always been around)? What are your thoughts on the future of the universe? What are your thoughts on an infinite vs. finite universe?

Also, I think it might be fun to discus these topics:

Free will vs. Predetermination
Dimensionality
Anti Matter (or lack thereof) and what this means in terms of the universe
Universe within a universe within a universe, etc etc (show in the opening sequence of The Simpsons once)
Age of the Universe
Wormholes
Time Travel

jpez wrote:
Too lazy to read the entire thread, but the story is clearly made up. It's from The Sun.

Aww, I was hoping to hear your opinion.
my reply:

Free will vs. Predetermination - time is written in stone. Unchangeable.

Dimensionality - Other dimensions of our own space-time exist.

Anti Matter (or lack thereof) and what this means in terms of the universe - well there has been proven 'dark matter', matter that cannot be detected, which is how we detect it, i.e. the warping of light around a celestial body that does not exist, this matter cannot be detected through any conventional means, and little is known about it other than it is undetectibly, is very dense, and does exist.

Universe within a universe within a universe, etc etc (show in the opening sequence of The Simpsons once) - Just ponder, what if our universe is sub-atomic on a infinitely grander scale.

Age of the Universe - what if the big bang is just the destruction of a previous universe, and so forth, and time, which can can be theoretically 'travelled' (I think) by the use of Einstein-Rosen bridges, well, when the universe explodes eventually, what if that energy is so enormously great, it creates a massive einstein-rosen bridge and sends the whole universe back to the 'start of time' and we start over again with a 'brand new' big bang.

Wormholes - otherwise known as Einstein-rosen bridges, are theoretically possible, where we would get the energy to open one, and keep it open, is the question. As seen in the movie Deja Vu, they open a wormhole with just the power from the north east US. This isnt near enough.

Time Travel - mabye possible, by traveling time you could not change anything though.
Pseudoprogrammer, I'm happy to have you post in this topic and contribute to conversation, but if you do so, please do a little research (a quick read of a wikipedia article is often all it takes), and give a little information as to why you feel this way. The questions I have posed are not yes or no questions, they should make you think, and it's these thoughts that are what I'd like to discuss here.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Ok, why do you feel this way. What if I was to say that free will is the true law of the universe? Both of us would have just made countering assertions with no proof or explanation of either side. No argument has any more merit.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
How many, and again, why do you feel this way?

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Anti Matter (or lack thereof) and what this means in terms of the universe - well there has been proven 'dark matter', matter that cannot be detected, which is how we detect it, i.e. the warping of light around a celestial body that does not exist, this matter cannot be detected through any conventional means, and little is known about it other than it is undetectibly [sic], is very dense, and does exist.
Anti Matter =/= Dark Matter.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Universe within a universe within a universe, etc etc (show in the opening sequence of The Simpsons once) - Just ponder, what if our universe is sub-atomic on a infinitely grander scale.
Way to restate my question.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Age of the Universe - what if the big bang is just the destruction of a previous universe, and so forth, and time, which can can be theoretically 'travelled' [sic] (I think) by the use of Einstein-Rosen bridges, well, when the universe explodes eventually, what if that energy is so enormously great, it creates a massive einstein-rosen bridge and sends the whole universe back to the 'start of time' and we start over again with a 'brand new' big bang.
That's an interesting theory (and your first legitimate response in my eyes). I too tend to believe in a cycle of bangs extending ad infinitum; however, my views on the reason behind this are slightly different. I don't want to get into that, yet, though. Better we wait for others to weigh in (not that I have some dominant theory that will pwn all of theirs or anything Rolling Eyes Laughing.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Wormholes - otherwise known as Einstein-rosen bridges, are theoretically possible, where we would get the energy to open one, and keep it open, is the question. As seen in the movie Deja Vu, they open a wormhole with just the power from the north east US. This isnt [sic] near enough.
I was more getting at discussing the possibility of there existence at all. But if we are comfortable accepting their existence, than I think it would be nice to discus what this means for the universe, and the future of humanity. Does this prove the existence of higher spatial dimensions? Will this be the future of high speed travel?

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Time Travel - mabye [sic] possible, by traveling time you could not change anything though.
State your position explicitly. Do you think it's possible or not (ignoring how difficult it may or may not be)? Why do you think so?

Sorry to be so critical, but I believe you have a lot to contribute, but you just have to express your thoughts and opinions more clearly and not just make statements.

Also, I forgot to mention, I think it may be interesting to discuss extraterrestrial life. Do you believe in aliens?
I believe the fact that there has to be life on other planets, out side of the Sol system. I mean, come on, the chances of only 1 star with planets in the entire galaxy to have life... yeah, I think there are other beings out there. Smile
I believe this is pure fact. Truthfully it can be made up, but their story has to be air, erm, media-tight. Unless its one of thsoe 'touch-and-go' stories, they don't need to worry. But 10-30 years from now when another TV crew comes along Rolling Eyes

I think the kid is cool. Being all creepy and stuff. I long to do to that. I'd love to have a life long friend describe a past life in pristine detail tne visit that place, knowing he/she's never been there. That'd be awsome. *chuckles*

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:

Time Travel - mabye possible, by traveling time you could not change anything though.

My response to that line: My Time and Parrallel Universes Theory. (I know! Wrong category! when I asked where to put it, someone said 'general', so... thats where I put it... I was new and eager to post it... XD)
Chipmaster wrote:
Pseudoprogrammer, I'm happy to have you post in this topic and contribute to conversation, but if you do so, please do a little research (a quick read of a wikipedia article is often all it takes), and give a little information as to why you feel this way. The questions I have posed are not yes or no questions, they should make you think, and it's these thoughts that are what I'd like to discuss here.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Ok, why do you feel this way. What if I was to say that free will is the true law of the universe? Both of us would have just made countering assertions with no proof or explanation of either side. No argument has any more merit.

- If you went back and changed time, then that was how it would orginally happen in the first place, if I went back in time and killed my grandfather before he met my grandmother, I wouldnt exist, if I didnt exist, I never could have even killed him.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
How many, and again, why do you feel this way?

-How many is a mystery, the string theory predicts as many as 26. However, like said by somebody in an earlier post, what if we only use the dimensions of legth, width, and height, and time, to explain the phenomenon that is space. And if your thinking dimensions as in alternate universe's, most people see time as a river, flowing in one direction, but what if time is like an ocean at storm, with every possible outcome to an event time/reality splits and forms yet another 'alternate universe'. Or, time is like the ocean at rest, doesnt move, change just happens, and we invent time to organize our lives. i.e. 'meet me when the sun is over there'

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Anti Matter (or lack thereof) and what this means in terms of the universe - well there has been proven 'dark matter', matter that cannot be detected, which is how we detect it, i.e. the warping of light around a celestial body that does not exist, this matter cannot be detected through any conventional means, and little is known about it other than it is undetectibly [sic], is very dense, and does exist.
Anti Matter =/= Dark Matter.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Way to restate my question.

-Oh, I have never seen the simpsons, I thought you where saying something else.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Age of the Universe - what if the big bang is just the destruction of a previous universe, and so forth, and time, which can can be theoretically 'travelled' [sic] (I think) by the use of Einstein-Rosen bridges, well, when the universe explodes eventually, what if that energy is so enormously great, it creates a massive einstein-rosen bridge and sends the whole universe back to the 'start of time' and we start over again with a 'brand new' big bang.
That's an interesting theory (and your first legitimate response in my eyes). I too tend to believe in a cycle of bangs extending ad infinitum; however, my views on the reason behind this are slightly different. I don't want to get into that, yet, though. Better we wait for others to weigh in (not that I have some dominant theory that will pwn all of theirs or anything Rolling Eyes 0x5.

-why thank you. I thought that up as I was typing it lol.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Wormholes - otherwise known as Einstein-rosen bridges, are theoretically possible, where we would get the energy to open one, and keep it open, is the question. As seen in the movie Deja Vu, they open a wormhole with just the power from the north east US. This isnt [sic] near enough.
I was more getting at discussing the possibility of there existence at all. But if we are comfortable accepting their existence, than I think it would be nice to discus what this means for the universe, and the future of humanity. Does this prove the existence of higher spatial dimensions? Will this be the future of high speed travel?

-Set us into warp nine bearing at the delta quadrant.

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Time Travel - mabye [sic] possible, by traveling time you could not change anything though.
State your position explicitly. Do you think it's possible or not (ignoring how difficult it may or may not be)? Why do you think so?

-If you change it, it 'already happened' that way. I dunno how to explain it, Deja Vu did a good job of doing it up until the end. they F***ed that up.

Sorry to be so critical, but I believe you have a lot to contribute, but you just have to express your thoughts and opinions more clearly and not just make statements.

Also, I forgot to mention, I think it may be interesting to discuss extraterrestrial life. Do you believe in aliens?

I do beleive in extraterrestrial life, trillions upon trillions of stars, and there might be life under the moon Europa, which is possibly two places in one solar system. and possible bacterial fossils found on mars (or was it that asteroid... forgot...)
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
I do beleive in extraterrestrial life, trillions upon trillions of stars, and there might be life under the moon Europa, which is possibly two places in one solar system. and possible bacterial fossils found on mars (or was it that asteroid... forgot...)

It was infact bacteria. They also believe they found evidence of water in photographs. Water like flow in a crater, wasn't there 10 bloody years ago, or something. Probably all gone now. ~_~ Poor NASA. Off subject. hehe, leave it to me =D.
yeh. they saw what they thought to be dried up river beds, then that 5 sized pyramid, then the face, the face however was mere coincidence with the light, if you look at it from a different angle its no different from any hill you might find on earth.
Well... I meant recently, they released the new info on the water. The face, haha, remember that. (off topic ~_~)
@Chip: Jesus H. Christ, this topic is long & philosophical. As quick as I can, here are my points:

1. Evolution: True People who say otherwise are fools. Damned fools.

2. Extraterrestrial life: Maybe, perhaps even probably. Will we ever see it? Unlikely.

3. Dark Matter: sounds to me like a "gap theory", but then again I'm not a theoretical particle physicist.

4. On the nature of time: I believe someone said once upon a time "Que sera, sera." (What will be, will be.) Regardless of it is possible to calculate what will happen, what will happen will happen.
Chipmaster wrote:
Free will vs. Predetermination

Of course there is free will. Predetermination is foolish talk

Quote:
Dimensionality

Not too familiar with this, so I'll avoid it until I read more about the current theories Smile

Quote:
Anti Matter (or lack thereof) and what this means in terms of the universe

What do you mean "lack thereof"? They have "created", and captured, anti-matter in particle accelerators. I think its pretty cut and dry - anti-matter exists, and serves to be the other part of matter, as predicted - the "balance" is maintained

Quote:
Universe within a universe within a universe, etc etc (show in the opening sequence of The Simpsons once)

I think thats a bit too "sci-fi movie"-ish to have much merit, but again, no "real" comment as I'm not familiar with the theories

Quote:
Age of the Universe

infinite. Unless I'm mistaken, its hard to destroy nothing-ness Razz

Quote:
Wormholes

Wormholes, sure, but transversable (by humans) ones, not likely. Stable ones, also not likely

Quote:
Time Travel

yeah, um, no. Not at all. What possible reason would there be for time travel to be allowable? It would also go against the whole "conservation of matter" thing, because if I go back in time, that implies that as time goes forward, matter is continuously being created to keep the past in a "stationary" medium so that it is possible to go back to it. Unless you want to argue that time is infinite and predetermined, but then I ask, who and/or how was it predetermined?
Kllrnohj wrote:
What do you mean "lack thereof"? They have "created", and captured, anti-matter in particle accelerators. I think its pretty cut and dry - anti-matter exists, and serves to be the other part of matter, as predicted - the "balance" is maintained
There is a lot more matter in the known universe than anti matter. Some people propose that this suggests the existence of another universe in which the majority of particles are anti matter so as to "balance." It also is one of the only explanations I've heard as to how the universe could have spontaneously come into being. Because apparently it doesn't void conservation of mass and energy laws to created matter and antimatter in equal amounts.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours