Recently I've been running very short on memory on my computer (hopefully I'll be getting a 250 gig external hdd for Christmas... *crosses fingers*). Because of this, I have had to further shrink my windows partition and add to my linux one. For some reason, I was not allowed to make the linux partition bigger (it's ReiserFS btw), but I do not recall the reason, and there's no going back at this point. In the process of doing this, I had to create an extended partition because I had over the "limit" of partitions and apparently the mbr or something couldn't handle it. To give you an idea of the clutter that is my hard disk, here's a sudo fdisk -l:

Code:
patrick@Chipmaster:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20673 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1               1         817     6176488+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2   *         818       11869    83553120    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3           16611       20673    30716280   83  Linux
/dev/hda4           11870       16610    35841960    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           11870       16407    34307248+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6           16408       16610     1534648+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Ok, so to attempt to explain this:

hda1 = Windows Recovery
hda2 = Windows C:\
hda3 = original/main linux (this is root)
hda4 = Extended Partition
hda5 = New linux space
hda6 = Swap

The problem is not the clutter. It's the fact that Ubuntu is not mounting the swap at boot time. I even wrote a script that starts at run time and waits 30 seconds, then sudo swapon /dev/hda6 which works if I run it at any time except boot. So I have to either run this script or go into Gnome Partition editor every time I boot my computer, if I want swap. Any ideas? My google searches weren't turning up anything.
sudo nano /etc/fstab

edit the current swap line, it should be

Code:
/dev/hda6      none      swap      sw      0 0

although of course the current /dev/hda* it has will be different since you have altered the partitions
Doi! I tried a similar fix a while ago, but I couldn't figure out what to set up as the mount point so I gave up and assumed that I needed to do something else (/dev/hda6 wasn't even an entry in fstab). Well, it's all working now. Thanks Kllrnohj; your linux expertise still amazes me (and I've been using it now for about a year).
Hey, I could have told you that. I'd say you were having a "stupid moment"..
Hey, how was I supposed to know that I could mount a drive to "none." I tried mounting it to other places, but nothing was working. I'm just glad to have the situation resolved. Very Happy.

Now if only I could get videos on my ipod...
Chipmaster wrote:
... Thanks Kllrnohj; your linux expertise still amazes me (and I've been using it now for about a year).
Same. Ah, I still remember a few months ago, when I was trying to manually configure and build Gentoo for the first time... Smile
Chipmaster wrote:
Hey, how was I supposed to know that I could mount a drive to "none." I tried mounting it to other places, but nothing was working. I'm just glad to have the situation resolved. Very Happy.

Well, you could have just modified the line that was there, or read the man page (man fstab)

Quote:
Now if only I could get videos on my ipod...

ffmpeg or mencoder can handle all of your video converting needs Smile

But then again, shame on you for not looking in the wiki first! https://help.ubuntu.com/community/iPodVideo

@Kerm: I seem to recall you completely ignoring all forms of documentation until you screwed the hell out of it, and then came asking for my help.... Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours