A few days ago in Spanish the kid that site next to me ("bob") mentioned that he used to go to a school where everyone had a laptop at school.

I said that I wouldn't want to go to those schools that much because many of the kids believe that they know a lot about computers but they really don't

He said that everyone there was good at computers *blah blah*

I asked him a simple question: How do you disable the IP address on a computer

You know what he said?

THAT YOU HAVE TO INSERT A DISK TO DO IT!

I said no and then rephrased my question to set the IP address in Windows XP to 0.0.0.0.0 (I admit I only know how to do it here, not sure about other OS's though)

He than said that the IP address was all hardware and it depended on the type of computer (like on an IBM you had to insert a disk *blah blah*)
He also stated that the IP address was the most unique thing about a computer (no it isn't dimwit...)

I told him that on most it is constantly changing (unless you have a static IP of course) and he still denied it. To prove it to me he went to a nearby computer in the classroom and went to one of the IP sites (myip.com or something like that) then he reloaded the page a FEW SECONDS LATER and said, "See, it didn't change!"

At this point I was pretty POed at his refusal to accept anything I said about it being OS specific (the worst part is he always asks me to do something or program something for his ti 84+ se calculator which he carries around in a 'pretty' black and orange case with his cable at all times - I think that most of us just carry the calculator and a link cable Rolling Eyes (atleast me))

Later he seemed to support Macs and hate PCs so I told him that Macs are now PC's when they switched over the the intel processor (to make it sound fancier I said switch over to the x86 processor architecture Razz ) He claimed that the only reason they did that was so they could run the "inferior operating system and programs" Mad

And then he started to say Linux was bad to

The best part was when I asked him to tell me about a language he knows and he told me about a language called Batcave (never heard of it, have you?). I said I had never heard of it and he said, "Of course you haven't it's being developed by (insert name here) at (insert college here).

He then led me on a path about how powerful a language "terminal was" That sounds an awful lot like a command-line, doesn't it (I don't really use macs, I only used them 4-6th grade cause my school had them)

I mentioned that it was probably like a .bat file for Windows and that Terminal was Mac specific he claimed that if you had one mac on server you could use Terminal to take over the entire server (I doubt it would be that easy, but probably could happen)

P.S. He may have been right about the Terminal and Batcave stuff, but on the IP stuff and Mac not being a PC he was so off Evil or Very Mad

EDIT: I did find something on batcave, but I doubt he knows how to use it http://www.consiste.dimap.ufrn.br/projetos/batcave/
/me cries
Terminal is merely equivalent to "cmd" on a PC. It's not a language.
Heh, terminal isn't even cmd in windows. Terminal is merely an INTERFACE to a command line - which is most often BASH or an equivalent. Also remind him that both Mac OS X and Linux are based on Unix - see what he says to that Very Happy

And you can't really "disable" your IP - if you are on a network, you have an IP, and if you aren't on a network, then you don't have an IP. You can't have internet/network access and not have an IP at the same time. Also remind him that its the MAC address that is hardware, NOT the IP - which isn't OS specific, either. In NO OS that I know of do you ever have to insert a disk to alter the IP - otherwise you'd have to insert it every time you wanted to connect to a network! (which would be every time you (re)boot) Also mention that you CAN'T disable IPs completely - 127.0.0.1 always equals the local machine Wink
Fine, but you're splitting hairs on the first point. In anything lower than Windows XP, the Command Prompt was a interface to the DOS underpinnings of Windows. In XP, DOS underpinnings were removed, so it's less analogous.
KermMartian wrote:
Fine, but you're splitting hairs on the first point. In anything lower than Windows XP, the Command Prompt was a interface to the DOS underpinnings of Windows. In XP, DOS underpinnings were removed, so it's less analogous.

oh hush, you can still get a 16 bit command line, even if you can't get DOS.....and iirc, command.com does start off with an intro about DOS
Wait, which person were you agreeing or disagreeing with? I'm confused... And btw, you have 3 more posts to three thousand
KermMartian wrote:

In windows, there is nothing called a terminal, its the command prompt - which has only ever been DOS. In *nix systems, however, there have been several major terminal interperaters, and many terminal "emulators" (xterm, gnome-terminal, etc...)

http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/

Quote:
Bash is an sh-compatible shell that incorporates useful features from the Korn shell (ksh) and C shell (csh). It is intended to conform to the IEEE POSIX P1003.2/ISO 9945.2 Shell and Tools standard.

As you can see, while BASH is now pretty much standard (on linux anyway), it hasn't always been so, with 2 alternatives that BASH got features from mentioned in the opening description of BASH alone!
KermMartian wrote:

Kerm, in any NT version, it was not DOS based (all the way back to 3.5x)
Uhh that freakin gets me mad when people think they know so much about computers and then refuse to say your right. Especially teaches do this to me. They don't know that I am so superior to them in calculator knowledge.

For example:
I have MOS on my calc and I blocked my mem with it and I put a password on MOS. My calc got confiscated and next day she came to me and told me about how her son who is supposedly in college and knows a whole bunch of crap about calculators tried to crack my pass and get into my memory(umm pull the batteries stupid).So she then went on to say that she had to call TICARES about my calculator for help and they told her that MirageOS was not sopported software and must have written over the OS when running causing a breakdown in the OS code forcing the memory to be blocked(where does TI hire their people from). Anyways after telling me all this she made me unblock the memory and take away my MOS password so she could delete my games(i had a lot). So what does she do??She goes through and archives them all thinking she is deleting them. So i went through this whole ordeal just to get my games archived. I could have done that on my own. Once again I prove superior to my teachers knowledge Smile
Wow, that's just...stupid. 'Nuff said. Wink
That's a hilarious story, Halifax. Laughing
yeah, that is really weird actually. Right now, I don't think any person in the school would doubt something I would say about a calc.
You know that technically teachers have no jurisdiction to modify the memory of your calculator in any way, right? The only exception is if the calculator is school property.
Teacher: "Now let me unlock your memory so I can back up your games"
Laughing
calc84maniac wrote:
Teacher: "Now let me unlock your memory so I can back up your games"
0x5
Essentially. I guess that is pretty funny once you think about it. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours