hello. i am making a new basic rpg and i need everyones opinions on elements. wht do you think a good rpg should include? please post here and i will try to intergrate.

btw thanks Kerm for sourcecoder. it will be greatly needed in this rpg

gondorf

p.s. i want this to be the first GOOD basic rpg to not require apps to be installed with the program.
Hm.

• Missions
  • Quests
  • Monsters
  • A few maps (if in BASIC)
  • A skill tree (those are always nice and add a lot of reply value in some cases.

Thats all i can think of ATM.

Good luck mate!
skill tree? do you mean like ice spells being a category or like you need to learen one skill to learn another?
Learn one skill to learn another. Smile
does anyone think that multiple types of damage (elemental damage) would be cool?

like in the ice area the monsters hit for ice damage but are weak against fire?
Um... like ice beats plant? Fire beats ice. Plant beats electricty or similar?
yes absolutely although the elements i was thinking of adding are physical, fire, ice, poison, lightning(energy), water, and psychic.

the what beats what are

fire beats ice
ice beats poison
poison beats lightning
lightning beats psychic
psychic beats physical
physical beats water
water beats fire

kinda cool
Evil or Very Mad rock on. =P. More elements, more stratagey!
and even better armor works the same way for defense!!!
however as you wear better armor your agi goes down and you get battles more often

how about battles... text based or graphical?
Text based would be simpler, but graphical would draw more people in to the game. Its close. I'd go for graphical. Thats me though.
ah yes and for char stats they are

hit points
magic points
strength
wisdom
agility
luck( any game with a luck factor is cool)
You should write some kind of "multiplication table" type thing for the outcome of elements vs. elements.
oh yeah. Good idea!
a multiplying table? you mean that when liek going ice on water it does .5 damage while ice on ice its .75? if so then very good idea
Yeah, where I is Ice and P is Physical

(I*.3)=DMG.

Though more complex. I'd do so now, but I'm not firing on all cylindars ATM
ah ok.. give me about 20 mins and ill get you guys a page of the values.
all righty then.
Make the elemental matchups into a Matrix. Normal would be a one, immune a 0, double damage would be 2... As to how you would access the number to multiply... your call. :p

Make all your elements first. Then use logic to decide what the first few matchups are. Then use a lot of testing to see what elements are too powerful and make appropriate changes to the matrix.
column beats row = 1
row beats column = -1
double damage = that*2
no effect = 0
ok elemental matchups are finished putting into excel now.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours