proegssilb wrote:
I've seen a pic of a MaximumPC test system with four Nvidia video cards...

I've never seen a 4 PCI-E mobo, and all the quad SLI I've seen is with 2 dual-GPU cards, so look closer Wink (Remeber that the GX2 is two PCBs, but only one card -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121017 <-)
Kllrnohj wrote:
I've never seen a 4 PCI-E mobo, and all the quad SLI I've seen is with 2 dual-GPU cards, so look closer Wink (Remeber that the GX2 is two PCBs, but only one card -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121017 <-)

We're both right. MaxPC did test a four-vidcard system in May 2006. It was a preview, and the vidcards were leaning a lot. There were two groups of two, only one in each group was hooked to the mobo. A comment made about 800-1000watt PSUs...
EDIT: Note that two SLI-bridges were used.
Actually, Gigabyte makes a 4 PCI-E mobo, it's the GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal, aut I'm not entirely sure if it would support SLI with four separate cards.
Quote:
There were two groups of two, only one in each group was hooked to the mobo.

Confused
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Quote:
There were two groups of two, only one in each group was hooked to the mobo.

Confused

I *think* that was his way of admitting that he was wrong, and that it was really 2 video cards, not 4 Razz The GX2's are basically two 79xx series cards stacked on top of each other, hence the two groups of two (two PCBs, only one plugs into the mob == one video card. take two of those, and you get 4 PCBs, but only 2 PCI-E connections for Quad-SLI in any mobo with 2 PCI-E x16 slots) Each PCB has its own GPU and RAM
That's what it sounds like to me, especially after looking at those pictures at the NewEgg site.
kllrnohj wrote:
I *think* that was his way of admitting that he was wrong, and that it was really 2 video cards, not 4 Razz The GX2's are basically two 79xx series cards stacked on top of each other, hence the two groups of two (two PCBs, only one plugs into the mob == one video card. take two of those, and you get 4 PCBs, but only 2 PCI-E connections for Quad-SLI in any mobo with 2 PCI-E x16 slots) Each PCB has its own GPU and RAM

I think at that point it was still four seperate vidcards. Could be wrong, but...
My biggest hint to the four seperate-but-bolted-together is the two bridges involved, rather than the pics indicating one SLI bridge connector (again, I could be missing something.)
Don't forget that that was back in May.
I am assuming that when you say "two videocards" that there is a digital connection to all parts of the videocard. EG, the two GPUs can "talk" to each other.
proegssilb wrote:
I think at that point it was still four seperate vidcards. Could be wrong, but...
My biggest hint to the four seperate-but-bolted-together is the two bridges involved, rather than the pics indicating one SLI bridge connector (again, I could be missing something.)
Don't forget that that was back in May.
I am assuming that when you say "two videocards" that there is a digital connection to all parts of the videocard. EG, the two GPUs can "talk" to each other.

Quad-SLI using the dual-GPU dual-PCB 78xx series used 2 SLI connectors Wink ( http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=195 or http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_quad_sli/ ) The 7950 GX2 just uses one SLI connector, however
Lets stop thinking about this and move onto the 8800s Shock

Once they go down in price a little, even GX2's will be almost obselete (especially once DX10 games come out)
Harq wrote:
Once they go down in price a little, even GX2's will be almost obselete (especially once DX10 games come out)

GX2s ARE obsolete, the 8800GTX/GTS destroys it. Hell, the single GPU ATI X1950XTX could keep pace with the dual-GPU 7950GX2 just fine, so aside from the drooling prospect of quad-SLI, there really wasn't any reason to get a GX2 anyway, as the X1950XTX was cheaper Very Happy
Any chance of getting this topic back on the original subject, or should I just split it in two?
KermMartian wrote:
Any chance of getting this topic back on the original subject, or should I just split it in two?

well, you could have just not posted, as it was 3 days old Razz

but since you mention it, act scores will be available this week for the october test dates ( http://www.actstudent.org/scores/early/index.html )
Shock Why do you know that - did you take the ACT? I don't see why someone would bother to take both, unless some colleges you're applying to only take the SAT and others only accept the ACT.
Today I got a small package from MIT...strange...
that is strange. And I just realized I waited too late to sign up for the ACT in December(why doesn't the school tell you about these things?).
I've found that my guidance counselor really doesn't know much about what happens either, so you really can't count on the school to give you information...
either that, or they announce this shit when I am out of the building, and my brother and progssilb are supposed to tell my about these things.
I wish my teachers would announce test dates and not "assume" that we check their websites daily...Mad
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I wish my teachers would announce test dates and not "assume" that we check their websites daily...Mad

That's how it is in college... I suggest you get used to it. Smile
Mmm, I second that motion. In college they don't hold your hand anymore - it's up to you to figure out what classes to sign up for, keep on top of your grades, and make sure you're not missing out on anything.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours