Extracurricular activities show that you are doing more than just school. Colleges like to see people that are outgoing and that will help contribute to the student life of the university (a college of recluses is boring). For example, I am a member of Science Olympiad, NHS, FBLA, swimming, cross country, as well as tutoring when needed. Granted, I have an empty schedule due to the lack of high enough courses at my school, but I didn't my last years and I was in extracurricular activities nonetheless. I have a friend who has no extra time (she is dropping a class to get some though), and she is in Science Olympiad, NHS, and she plays at least 2 instruments very well and she's the drum major for the band. Extracurricular activities always look good to colleges and employers. And while work isn't as good, it does show some extra initiative.

@Kerm: Thanks.
hmm, I haven't done a whole ton in that field. I was in the Scouts, did Mock Trail one year, and last year (and hopefully this year), I was on the robotics team.
Let's see...I was a boy scout for about 5 years, then when I moved here I became a martial artist, and now I'm an instructor Very Happy

So I've really only done two "extra-curricular" activities, but I've gotten far in both...(although now with 6 AP classes and just looking at my report card (!) I need to switch to the uberman sleep schedule Laughing)
kirb wrote:
Extracurricular activities show that you are doing more than just school. Colleges like to see people that are outgoing and that will help contribute to the student life of the university (a college of recluses is boring). For example, I am a member of Science Olympiad, NHS, FBLA, swimming, cross country, as well as tutoring when needed. Granted, I have an empty schedule due to the lack of high enough courses at my school, but I didn't my last years and I was in extracurricular activities nonetheless. I have a friend who has no extra time (she is dropping a class to get some though), and she is in Science Olympiad, NHS, and she plays at least 2 instruments very well and she's the drum major for the band. Extracurricular activities always look good to colleges and employers. And while work isn't as good, it does show some extra initiative.

@Kerm: Thanks.

I'm on the math team, I'm part of the web developing club, I was on the soccer team, I was on baseball, basketball and hockey teams as well, I'm part of a group that helps poor people out by doing yardwork and building stuff for them, I play the violin and the piano (and take private lessons for each), am part of the school's orchestra (which is kind of part of the curriculum, but still...) and was in band (and I've been in orchestras not affiliated with my school), I played the saxophone, and I would have been on the wrestling team but I was too busy Razz . I hope those are enough extra-curricular activities. Very Happy
Speaking of comp. clubs...I recently met the new president of the computer club at my school...omfg he's such a fucking dumbass. Even worse than netham even; this guy doesn't know shit! He just randomly throws terms out to appeal to lesser animals...
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Speaking of comp. clubs...I recently met the new president of the computer club at my school...omfg he's such a <font color=red>censored</font> dumbass. Even worse than netham even; this guy doesn't know <font color=red>censored</font>! He just randomly throws terms out to appeal to lesser animals...

Ask him what languages he know and then hand a few pages of code from that language without comments and random naming =P

Have him try to figure out what it does
He codes in VB Laughing

And I love his quotes:

Quote:
Yesterday I bought 3 ATI GeForce 79050GTS's and put them in a quad crossfire RAID 0 array with parity protection!

Sadly, I was the only one dying of laughter (then again, no one got the 127.0.0.1 hack joke either...)
Harq wrote:
Ask him what languages he know and then hand a few pages of code from that language without comments and random naming =P

Have him try to figure out what it does

If he responds Python, recruit him for T83...
Laughing For what, bashing? Razz
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
0x5 For what, bashing? Razz

That's not a bad idea!
Oh sweet jesus... Since when has 3 been quad? And since when has raid 0 had to do with graphic cards? Laughing

Point him over here so we can bash him to death
Harq wrote:
Oh sweet jesus... Since when has 3 been quad? And since when has raid 0 had to do with graphic cards? 0x5

You forgot that parity checking is a RAM thing used only in servers... Very Happy
EDIT: Well, ok, maybe not ONLY servers, but close to it...
Parity is also used in RAID arrays...
proegssilb wrote:
Harq wrote:
Oh sweet jesus... Since when has 3 been quad? And since when has raid 0 had to do with graphic cards? 0x5

You forgot that parity checking is a RAM thing used only in servers... Very Happy
EDIT: Well, ok, maybe not ONLY servers, but close to it...

Well I didn't really know that, so I can't insult him on that now can I?

Oh well, I guess I will

N00B!
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Parity is also used in RAID arrays...

/me searches archive...
Not RAID 0 or 1, like RAID 5 mayhaps?
yeah, RAID 5 is striping with parity. Also, isn't crossfire for ATI cards?
rivereye wrote:
yeah, RAID 5 is striping with parity. Also, isn't crossfire for ATI cards?

Yep. and GeForce ain't ATI
(Hopefully the latter didn't need to be said, but it's an additional irony.)
rivereye wrote:
Also, isn't crossfire for ATI cards?

...and there's no quad-crossfire yet, either Rolling Eyes there is quad-SLI, but its done with only two cards
I thought crossfire supported more than 2 cards...?
Kllrnohj wrote:
rivereye wrote:
Also, isn't crossfire for ATI cards?

...and there's no quad-crossfire yet, either Rolling Eyes there is quad-SLI, but its done with only two cards

I've seen a pic of a MaximumPC test system with four Nvidia video cards...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours