Harq wrote:
I just read that Microsoft will not provide backwards compatibility with DX 7,8, or 9 >.<
Yeah, I've heard that as well. Eh, at least they rewrote it from the ground up, so it should be a bit more efficient than previous versions.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
@foamy: I'd wait until graduation to build the comp; a lot can change in seven months (especially the proc and vid card battles).

I was planning on that at first, but I need a working comp before college. I've never built one before so there's a good chance I'll mess something up. And I probably won't know what programs I'll need to download before using a comp without them. It takes forever to download crap on this dial-up.
Harq wrote:
I just read that Microsoft will not provide backwards compatibility with DX 7,8, or 9 >.<

Not true-ish. DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 will be able to be installed side by side. So while DX10 won't provide backwards compatibility, the DX9 part will - remember DX10 is a Vista-only thing (or so I last heard)

@Foamy: It's pretty hard to screw up a computer build, assuming you pick the right parts - which is what we are here for. The only things you will need to download are the newer video card drivers - thats it Smile All the other parts will have driver CDs, and the vid card will too, but the vid card ones get updated frequently.
By downloading stuff, I meant stuff like openoffice or virus scanners. I suppose there's really no harm in waiting to get that stuff, though. I could get it all using the college dorm's network. It's not like I'll need anything immediately.
that, and you could download some of the stuff now, and this way, you will have it when the comp comes in and is built.
Yeah, I will do that, but I probably won't be sure of what all I need until I have a comp without it. I'm not going to worry about it, though.

btw, what's the difference between retail and OEM? Does it matter when I'm getting parts?
foamy3 wrote:
btw, what's the difference between retail and OEM? Does it matter when I'm getting parts?

Retail is what's in stores, OEM is straight from the factory. Might not have a warranty, color packaging, manual, ... Known to come at a lower price.
OEM is cheaper, but has less support with it (designed more for people like dell or people who know what they are doing).
So, basically, stick with retail unless it's significantly more expensive?
foamy3 wrote:
So, basically, stick with retail unless it's significantly more expensive?

Yeah, pretty much.
I usually look more at whether or not I care about the warranty, but difference in cost works too.
you don't always want to go retail. For example, I assume you know enough about Windows that you wouldn't need support from them, and would get by with an OEM copy of it. With that, you save (if I recall correctly) about $80-$100
Yup, and for things like hard drives. Really the only difference between a retail and OEM hard drive is maybe a cable (most motherboards will come with them anyway) and a CD with software that you don't need anyway. Oh, and maybe a couple screws.
rivereye wrote:
you don't always want to go retail. For example, I assume you know enough about Windows that you wouldn't need support from them, and would get by with an OEM copy of it. With that, you save (if I recall correctly) about $80-$100

With one minor catch - Windows OEM must be purchased with hardware. not a big deal if you are building a new comp, though.

Foamy, go with retail for major parts like vid card, mobo, etc (make SURE you get the retail CPU, as they come with a HSF - the OEM CPUs don't), and OEM for things like CD/DVD drives, harddrives, etc... OEM still has cables and software (usually), they just don't have the fancy box and packaging (which you just throw away anyway)
According to the reviews at newegg, if you get OEM Windows, you can't change any hardware. That's not good...
foamy3 wrote:
According to the reviews at newegg, if you get OEM Windows, you can't change any hardware. That's not good...

Thats totally incorrect - those 'reviews' are written by morons. Its the exact same version of windows as the retail except for the packaging. Absolutely nothing else is changed

EDIT: Oh, if you get dual-core (and since they are so cheap, I don't see why you wouldn't), remember that you need XP Pro - Home will only recognize one CPU core (but you might as well just wait until Vista comes out, as thats only a couple months away)
Yeah, I was just going to run Ubuntu until vista came out anyway. btw, those of you who have tried out Vista, is it difficult to dual-boot with it? If I have linux on first, will I have to uninstall it, then install windows, and put linux on last?
foamy3 wrote:
Yeah, I was just going to run Ubuntu until vista came out anyway. btw, those of you who have tried out Vista, is it difficult to dual-boot with it? If I have linux on first, will I have to uninstall it, then install windows, and put linux on last?

Windows will take over hda1 whenever you install it, so either you re-install linux or re-install GRUB. Or install Windows before linux.
foamy3 wrote:

It'll be exactly the same as XP - but that doesn't mean you can't install Vista second and just re-install GRUB, like proegssilb said.

Or you can just wait to build this new comp, as a bunch of new hardware is on the horizon anyway Razz (GeForce 8800 series comes out wednesday, intel's quad core is released, and AMDs quad core is supposed to be out Q1 of 07) Vista comes out January 07 I think, not too far off Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

Thats totally incorrect - those 'reviews' are written by morons. Its the exact same version of windows as the retail except for the packaging. Absolutely nothing else is changed

EDIT: Oh, if you get dual-core (and since they are so cheap, I don't see why you wouldn't), remember that you need XP Pro - Home will only recognize one CPU core (but you might as well just wait until Vista comes out, as thats only a couple months away)

Actually, I heard that the Intel Quad Core worked on XP Home (32 bit edition), and all four cores were there if I remember correctly.
Kllrnohj wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

It'll be exactly the same as XP - but that doesn't mean you can't install Vista second and just re-install GRUB, like proegssilb said.

Or you can just wait to build this new comp, as a bunch of new hardware is on the horizon anyway Razz (GeForce 8800 series comes out wednesday, intel's quad core is released, and AMDs quad core is supposed to be out Q1 of 07) Vista comes out January 07 I think, not too far off Wink

That's what I am going to do, hopefully the prices will be reasonable by the Summer Rolling Eyes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 23
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours