mobo is short for motherboard, where all the components hook up to on the computer.
Oh, makes sense. I have strong feelings its the mobo then. Laughing
Quote:
I feel like this is a good question to ask now: WTH is a mobo?

OMG
Shut it. I'm a computer person, but not in the build-up know-how. Just how to do a lot stuff on them.

EDIT: added 'a lot'
Double L.OL
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Shut it. I'm a computer person, but not in the build-up know-how. Just how to do a lot stuff on them.

Then why are you accusing the Abit mobo of being the problem if you didn't even know what the hell it was?
Becasues I said motherbourd, not mobo. Didn't I?

Edit I did:
Quote:
Don't get an ABIT Motherbourd!
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Becasues I said motherbourd, not mobo. Didn't I?

Edit I did:
Quote:
Don't get an ABIT Motherbourd!

So whats a "Motherbourd" anyway? Razz (its motherboard)
What is the cache of a processor? I noticed that most are 1mb, but this one is only 256kb. Do you think that will affect it much? The reviews all look good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104231
Typically you want more cache (cache is kinda like RAM for your proc, but much faster and more direct)

Also, about how much $$$ do you have to spend on a new comp?
Ugh, I'd definitely say go for something with at least 512 k of L2. My current processor only has 256 k of L2 (granted, it was just something so I could have a working system until I get the cash for an E6300), and BOINC projects are insanely slow.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Also, about how much $$$ do you have to spend on a new comp?

No definite limit. I'm thinking $800-$1200.

EDIT: Minus speakers, monitor, keyboard, mouse, ect. I have that kind of crap laying around.
Avoid socket 754 like the plague, its dead (and so is socket 939). If you are going to go AMD, it must be socket AM2 if you want any sort of upgradability. But Intel's quad-core is just around the corner, and Intel's current Core 2 Duos are faster than AMD X2s, so right now I'd lean towards Intels. However, if you want AMD, you can get an X2 4200 (the same CPU I got) for a mere $180

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103741 (this is the special low-watt version, so it only uses 65w of power and is only $5 more than the non-low power version - speed is identical)
If you build it for graduation you can probably get an AMD quad core by then, or you could just get an dual core and upgrade later Wink

Aren't the AMD quad cores supposed to be more energy efficient/designed as quad cores better (and I think intel quad cores are just some dual cores dropped together Evil or Very Mad )
@foamy: I'd wait until graduation to build the comp; a lot can change in seven months (especially the proc and vid card battles).
Harq wrote:
Aren't the AMD quad cores supposed to be more energy efficient/designed as quad cores better (and I think intel quad cores are just some dual cores dropped together Evil or Very Mad )

More elegant design, yes, but that may or may not transfer to real world results in terms of energy efficient and/or speed. Intel's quads are just two Core 2 Duo's stuck together, but them Core 2's are pretty fast Wink

@Foamy: I'd wait for DX10 vid cards to come out if you have any desire whatsoever to play video games (should be within the next month or two, I've heard, so prices will have dropped and midrange cards will have come out in 7 months)
For those of us who don't play video games quite as much as you do, Kllrnohj, would you kindly explain what a DX10 video card is, and what its advantages are? I'd JFGI, but I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't know.
KermMartian wrote:
For those of us who don't play video games quite as much as you do, Kllrnohj, would you kindly explain what a DX10 video card is, and what its advantages are? I'd JFGI, but I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't know.

It pretty much allows you to play directx 10 games (the new ones that look really awesome >.> ). It pretty much is the renderer for the games like opengl (graphics api), except it is Windows only.

P.S. This may be wrong, but I am pretty sure it is correct Wink
Oh, duh. >.< I didn't connect DX10 with DirectX 10. Don't mind my question, then; I've been reading about these new cards for months. Heh.
I just read that Microsoft will not provide backwards compatibility with DX 7,8, or 9 >.<

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 23
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours