Quote:
[12:19:57 AM] Alex10819 says: I swear I lean on MySQL too much
[12:20:23 AM] Alex10819 says: ever since I started using it, I've wished TI-BASIC had more advanced data storage methods... like dataases
[12:21:05 AM] Kerm Martian says: Agreed
[12:21:19 AM] Kerm Martian says: someone should implement an SQL-like method with strings
[12:21:23 AM] Kerm Martian says: twould be MAAAAAAD slow
[12:21:25 AM] Kerm Martian says: but it would work
[12:21:58 AM] Alex10819 says: yeah. It wouldnt really be worth it... it'd use so much space just for one database, you'd need at least some archive room... andyou'd only be able to do small databases
[12:22:22 AM] Alex10819 says: i mean... how much userdefined data goes in 24k of a MySQL database?
[12:22:23 AM] Kerm Martian says: exactly
[12:22:27 AM] Kerm Martian says: however
[12:22:57 AM] Kerm Martian says: a small implementation in ASM that used 1 ROM page for data storage - A single 16k "app" - might be a nifty idea

Ideas, comments, suggestions?
I tried teaching myself php+mySQL several times, but never got the hang of database usage. What advantages would it give to calc programmers?
I have a HUGE 1000+ page book on PHP5 and MySQL.

What would it give you in a calc? Well for starters,

High Score Tables, Strings, lists, Chat programs could keep more than 10 past sent lines of text, etc. What do we use MySQL for today, and scale it down a tad... more like a big tad... not an incy-wincy one. XD
some18kanal0n3 wrote:

High Score Tables, Strings, lists, Chat programs could keep more than 10 past sent lines of text, etc. What do we use MySQL for today, and scale it down a tad... more like a big tad... not an incy-wincy one. XD
CALCnet2 + MMORG + database, anyone?
KermMartian wrote:
some18kanal0n3 wrote:

CALCnet2 + MMORG + database, anyone?

First, Cn2 isn't connected to the internet, I believe, so it would just be an MMRPG. And I doubt you can get more than 10 calc gamers together in a room (which isn't massive), so it's just an MRPG.

An MMORPG could work with gCn, but can't you just use an actual comp database for that?
Perl+mySQL > PHP+mySQL
@foamy3: Firstly, yeah, I meant a gCn MMORG. gCn is just the term for Cn2 hooked together via computers. And I don't see why it would have to be limited to 10 players - why not get 1000 players on a large map, and just send the calcs info on players nearby? That data would need to be used enough that getting it constantly from the servers would be laggy and uneconomical. Perhaps a better analogy for what Alex10819 and I were thinking of is structs.
KermMartian wrote:
@foamy3: Firstly, yeah, I meant a gCn MMORG. gCn is just the term for Cn2 hooked together via computers. And I don't see why it would have to be limited to 10 players - why not get 1000 players on a large map, and just send the calcs info on players nearby? That data would need to be used enough that getting it constantly from the servers would be laggy and uneconomical. Perhaps a better analogy for what Alex10819 and I were thinking of is structs.

Oh, I thought gCn and Cn2 were different. I thought Cn2 was pure calc -> calc and gcn was calc->comp->comp->calc. That way you could just use a server comp to deal with databases.

And I said 10 users because I still thought you were talking about Cn2 without gCn. Without using the internet, I doubt more than 10 people will ever play a calc game togeher. Heck, most LAN parties barely get over that.

As for the struct thing, I figured they were obsolete and never learned how to use them. I guess for calc purposes, they would be fine, though. It might be hard trying to add classes into z80. Wink
foamy3 wrote:
As for the struct thing, I figured they were obsolete and never learned how to use them. I guess for calc purposes, they would be fine, though. It might be hard trying to add classes into z80. Wink
Obsolete?! Far from it; any C programmer will tell you the same. They're one of the most versatile data types in C, if not the most versatile.
Whoops, I meant for use in C++. Classes do the same thing, plus more, right?
why on earth couldn't a computer connect to a CN2 network and act as a server for a calc based MMORPG, and have the computer handle all the hard work?

and a simple database should be far easier than the DCS GUI API to implmeent in Asm.
elfprince13 wrote:
why on earth couldn't a computer connect to a CN2 network and act as a server for a calc based MMORPG, and have the computer handle all the hard work?
It will, but storage is cheaper timewise than Cn2 communication, so you're better off getting a bunch of data at the beginning and storing it for the session.

elfprince13 wrote:
and a simple database should be far easier than the DCS GUI API to implmeent in Asm.
Definitely.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours